Re: Finally bought an Xtra

  • sh8knj8kster
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 2, 2009
      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "swkrall" <swkrall@...> wrote:

      > I have been looking at cargo bikes (Xtracycle vs. Ute) for a couple years and have been following the posts here for over a year and finally just ordered an Xtracycle yesterday. My donor bike is a Kona Smoke 2-9 (my commuter bike) which means I will also need to buy a 26 inch wheel for the back. I would like to get one that is disc-brake compatible, but don't want to spend several hundred dollars. I am also not real familiar with disc brakes. The bike doesn't have disc now, so I will need to buy the disc brakes setup for the back. Any recommendations for the wheel or brakes. Thanks.

      ~~~Was this the kit you ordered?

      http://www.xtracycle.com/freeradical-ltkit-special.html

      Smokin deal

      Since your Kona Smoke was designed for 700c wheels, did you give consideration that using a 26" wheel in the free rad will lower the distance between the ends of your cranks and the ground?

      I have 700c wheels on my X donor (Surly LHT) but it's a touring frame so there was no way IO could go with a 26" wheel out back, unless I wanted to install 150 mm crnk arms=:-)

      You're in better shape as your frame will have a higher BB height but if I were you, before you order the 26" wheel, see how the 700c wheel out back works. it may be all you need and you save the coin not buying a new wheel and a disc brake set up for it. Just sayin

      There's a few of us runnin 700c wheels out back on our X's. tire selection sux./ No clearance for anything larger than 622 X 37. if you can run the 26", do it but I would try the 700c first if you have the 700c Free Rad

      if you decide you can live with the 700c wheel, you'll need the mini bmx V-brake arms if you stay with rim braking

      Maybe it's better the X folks didn't design a seperate 700c Free Rad that would accept big tires like the Big Apples in that 622 size. if they had I know I would have purchased a Big Apple to fit out back, they didn't so I didn't and saved some money not having to buy a bigger rear tire/tube. Scrooge logic for sure=:-), but my oem Surly 700c rear rim & tire work fine. hard to argue with success

      Jake
      Reddick Fla.
      The man is wise who from time to time withdraws from the insanity of today's graceless living for somber contemplation of true and eternal values. -William L Esser
    • David Dannenberg
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 3, 2009
        Just have to chime in here about Avid BB7s. I have them on my mountain
        bike and they are fine--not wonderful, but fine. I put them on my Big
        Dummy and did not like them; I could not keep them adjusted from ride
        to ride, rain to sun. I know that other people like them and that is
        fine. Just thought you should know of my experience in case you get
        them and are disappointed. Also know that I ride in dust and silt and
        rain sometimes.

        Dave
      • swkrall
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 3, 2009
          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "sh8knj8kster" <sh8knj8k@...> wrote:

          > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "swkrall" <swkrall@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I have been looking at cargo bikes (Xtracycle vs. Ute) for a couple years and have been following the posts here for over a year and finally just ordered an Xtracycle yesterday. My donor bike is a Kona Smoke 2-9 (my commuter bike) which means I will also need to buy a 26 inch wheel for the back. I would like to get one that is disc-brake compatible, but don't want to spend several hundred dollars. I am also not real familiar with disc brakes. The bike doesn't have disc now, so I will need to buy the disc brakes setup for the back. Any recommendations for the wheel or brakes. Thanks.
          > >

          > ~~~Was this the kit you ordered?
          >

          > http://www.xtracycle.com/freeradical-ltkit-special.html
          >

          > Smokin deal
          >

          > Since your Kona Smoke was designed for 700c wheels, did you give consideration that using a 26" wheel in the free rad will lower the distance between the ends of your cranks and the ground?
          >

          > I have 700c wheels on my X donor (Surly LHT) but it's a touring frame so there was no way IO could go with a 26" wheel out back, unless I wanted to install 150 mm crnk arms=:-)
          >

          > You're in better shape as your frame will have a higher BB height but if I were you, before you order the 26" wheel, see how the 700c wheel out back works. it may be all you need and you save the coin not buying a new wheel and a disc brake set up for it. Just sayin
          >

          > There's a few of us runnin 700c wheels out back on our X's. tire selection sux./ No clearance for anything larger than 622 X 37. if you can run the 26", do it but I would try the 700c first if you have the 700c Free Rad
          >

          > if you decide you can live with the 700c wheel, you'll need the mini bmx V-brake arms if you stay with rim braking
          >

          > Maybe it's better the X folks didn't design a seperate 700c Free Rad that would accept big tires like the Big Apples in that 622 size. if they had I know I would have purchased a Big Apple to fit out back, they didn't so I didn't and saved some money not having to buy a bigger rear tire/tube. Scrooge logic for sure=:-), but my oem Surly 700c rear rim & tire work fine. hard to argue with success
          >

          > Jake
          > Reddick Fla.
          > The man is wise who from time to time withdraws from the insanity of today's graceless living for somber contemplation of true and eternal values. -William L Esser

          Hey Jake,

          That is the one I purchased. Couldn't believe the price. Looks like they are all gone this morning.

          I was originally concerned about the ground clearance also and sent out a message to this group last fall. If I remember correctly, the thought was that there would be less clearance, but with a big fat tire (ie. Big Apple 2.35) the difference should not be significant. I may just try a smaller 700c tire at first on my current rim, but would eventually like to get a 26" with a big tire.

          What tire do you use on the back?

          Thanks for the input.

          Steve
        • Rick Pickett

            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 3, 2009
> [...]
              > >

              > > Jake
              > > Reddick Fla.
              > > The man is wise who from time to time withdraws from the insanity of today's graceless living for somber contemplation of true and eternal values. -William L Esser
              > >

              > Hey Jake,
              >
              > That is the one I purchased. Couldn't believe the price. Looks like they are all gone this morning.
              >
              > I was originally concerned about the ground clearance also and sent out a message to this group last fall. If I remember correctly, the thought was that there would be less clearance, but with a big fat tire (ie. Big Apple 2.35) the difference should not be significant. I may just try a smaller 700c tire at first on my current rim, but would eventually like to get a 26" with a big tire.

              ~~~~Hello Steve, I'm using the original equipment Continental Contact on the rear (622 X 37). There's not much room to spare between the front and rear of this tire with the frame of the free rad. I would probably go with a 26" wheel for wider tire choices and to be able to use a fender but like I mentioned...my Surly Trucker frame uses touring bicycle geometry (low BB height)...I doubt I could get a 26" rear wheel to work (w/o striking the crank arms or my feet on the tarmac) but I wouldn't know for sure unless I tried one

              having said that, I have had no problems with the stock rear wheel and tire. I keep it aired up so no pinch flats...seems to handle well and hasn't been a concern it not being stout enough. it keeps on Truckin=:-)

              FWIW, I ordered a 622 X 50 Big Apple tire for the front Thursday. should get here sometime by the middle of next week. I'm doing this as sort of an experiment, to see if the Big Apple will provide a better ride up front. The Trucker forks are plenty wide and able to fit a 50 mm tire

              I'll admit, I've been tempted to buy a 26" 50mm wide Big Apple and mount it on a 559 X 17 Mavic rim (XC 717) I have on another bike I ride and see how it works out on my free radified Trucker. I looked at Schwalbe's rim to tire fitting guide and they say a 17 mm rim will work with their 50mm wide tires, like the Big Apple. One of these days=:-)

              BTW, no matter what size rear wheel you end up using in your free rad, you're gonna love what you can now haul with the Xtracycle kit on your Kona

              Jake
              Reddick Fla.
            • sh8knj8kster
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 14, 2009
> [...]
                >

                > FWIW, I ordered a 622 X 50 Big Apple tire for the front Thursday. should get here sometime by the middle of next week. I'm doing this as sort of an experiment, to see if the Big Apple will provide a better ride up front. The Trucker forks are plenty wide and able to fit a 50 mm tire
                >

                > I'll admit, I've been tempted to buy a 26" 50mm wide Big Apple and mount it on a 559 X 17 Mavic rim (XC 717) I have on another bike I ride and see how it works out on my free radified Trucker. I looked at Schwalbe's rim to tire fitting guide and they say a 17 mm rim will work with their 50mm wide tires, like the Big Apple. One of these days=:-)
                >

                > BTW, no matter what size rear wheel you end up using in your free rad, you're gonna love what you can now haul with the Xtracycle kit on your Kona

                ~~~Steve, I bit the proverbial bullet and bought a 26" Big Apple tire and fitted it to a donor 26" wheel, swapped with the 700c wheel in my free rad. Take a look-

                http://tinyurl.com/nswtvx

                As you can see, I also fitted the front 700c wheel with a 50 mm Big Apple tire. Much more comfortable ride. Most definitely a worthwhile upgrade, fitting ballon tires to my Surly XLHT

                Jake
                Reddick Fla.
                Berkeley, a town to the left of reality, is so feminist you could get arrested for your daydreams.
                –Andrew Klavan
              • Steven Krall
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 15, 2009
                  Hey Jake,

                  That looks great.  Have you noticed any problems with pedals being too low to the ground because of the 26er on the back or did the bigger back tire compensate enough?

                  I have decided for the time being to just use my 29er rim with a 700x37 tire (cost reasons).  I put a Continental Travel Contact on it and it doesn't rub.  My front tire is a 47.  I still have a long way to go to get it fully installed as I don't have much time to work on it.  I need a second FAP so I think I will just make one.  Eventually I will invest in a good 26 inch wheel and disc brake with a big tire.

                  Steve

                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 15, 2009
                    --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Steven Krall <swkrall@...> wrote:

                    > Hey Jake,
                    >
                    > That looks great.

                    ~~~Thanks!

                    Have you noticed any problems with pedals being too low to the ground because of the 26er on the back or did the bigger back tire compensate enough?

                    ~~~I lost a little bit of clearance but not enough to be concerned about IMO. I think the fact that I left the 700c wheel in front with a Big Apple on it keeps the front end up high, which helps but for the most part, i don't see any problems coming at me down the road

                    > I have decided for the time being to just use my 29er rim with a 700x37 tire (cost reasons).

                    ~~~I hear you there (expense=:-( At this point, I haven't invested anything more than the cost of the tire and tube, but I don't have a way to brake with the rear wheel=:-(... so I'll have to do something soon. I might cheap out and let my donor bike hang, the one that I borrowed the wheel from, cannabilize the caliper to, then just have to buy a rotor and a longer inner/outer cable and call it done. We'll see

                    I put a Continental Travel Contact on it and it doesn't rub.  My front tire is a 47.  I still have a long way to go to get it fully installed as I don't have much time to work on it.  I need a second FAP so I think I will just make one.  Eventually I will invest in a good 26 inch wheel and disc brake with a big tire.

                    > Steve

                    ~~~The Conti Contacts are nice tires. I never had trouble with them and rode for a year and a half on em, but the Big Apple tires are noticibly softer. I ran with the front only using the Big apple for 20 miles, keeping the rear conti and the ride in front seemed a lot softer on my hands but remember, I ride with drop bars so I'm placing more weight on my hands vs. if I was using C bars

                    Then when I added the rear Big Apple to compliment the front Big Apple, it really put the whole package together. this bike is definitely nicer to ride with the ballon tires but I'd say it's not a deal killer to have to roll with 700c by 37mm tires. Like I said, i did it for 18 months. Different strokes for different folks=:-) Back before I bought my Surly an LBS let me ride a customer's Trek 520. they just put it together for him, and he had them add some nice parts, like a set of brifters...very slick shifting, and a set of skinnier tires, maybe 28's?, the thing pedalled effortlessly

                    Jake
                    Reddick Fla.