Re: Taco Plate walk

  • dianedouglas8
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 2, 2009
      Oddly enough after I had installed the taco plate, I had the similar idea to protect the frame by zip tying some old bike tube material to the kickback itself. It took two different pieces of rubber and a number of zip ties to hold everything on the kickback.

      I think I'll simply try to reattach the taco plate using a combination of silicone adhesive + zip ties. That way, if any improvements to the taco plate technology are forthcoming from Xtracycle, I can put them to use without damaging the frame trying to remove something as strong as Gorilla Glue.

      Scott
      Washington, DC

      > I used a batch of zip ties around the taco plate as insurance/flexy-
      > surface, and they seem to be somewhat working. I drove to work today,
      > I can check on it when I get home tonight, but I did check before and
      > it looked ok. The force that walks the plate, instead deforms the zip-
      > ties, which return to their original shape afterwards (or at least,
      > that is the theory).
      >
      > I HAD a walking plate before I did this.
      >
      > On 2009-09-02, at 9:43 AM, dianedouglas8 wrote:
      >
      > > Rick (or another Xtracycle staffer),
      > >
      > > My taco plate fell off when I pulled out my BD this morning. Have
      > > you guys heard about problems with the adhesive? Note that I took
      > > all precautions before installation. (Cleaned the frame surface +
      > > wiped down w/ alcohol before applying the taco plate.)
      > >
      > > Any tips on a better adhesive? I thought about using a silicone
      > > "glue" to give it a little more flex, but I may go full bore with a
      > > Gorilla-glue type instead.
      > >
      > > Anyone else have any problems with their taco shell walking forward
      > > out of place? (Perhaps this means everyone should take a look under
      > > their bikes to check...)
      > >
      > > Scott
      > > Washington, DC

    • David Dannenberg