Re: [rootsradicals] Taco Plate walk

    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 2, 2009
      I used a batch of zip ties around the taco plate as insurance/flexy-
      surface, and they seem to be somewhat working. I drove to work today,
      I can check on it when I get home tonight, but I did check before and
      it looked ok. The force that walks the plate, instead deforms the zip-
      ties, which return to their original shape afterwards (or at least,
      that is the theory).

      I HAD a walking plate before I did this.

      On 2009-09-02, at 9:43 AM, dianedouglas8 wrote:

      > Rick (or another Xtracycle staffer),
      >
      > My taco plate fell off when I pulled out my BD this morning. Have
      > you guys heard about problems with the adhesive? Note that I took
      > all precautions before installation. (Cleaned the frame surface +
      > wiped down w/ alcohol before applying the taco plate.)
      >
      > Any tips on a better adhesive? I thought about using a silicone
      > "glue" to give it a little more flex, but I may go full bore with a
      > Gorilla-glue type instead.
      >
      > Anyone else have any problems with their taco shell walking forward
      > out of place? (Perhaps this means everyone should take a look under
      > their bikes to check...)
      >
      > Scott
      > Washington, DC

    • dianedouglas8
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 2, 2009
        Oddly enough after I had installed the taco plate, I had the similar idea to protect the frame by zip tying some old bike tube material to the kickback itself. It took two different pieces of rubber and a number of zip ties to hold everything on the kickback.

        I think I'll simply try to reattach the taco plate using a combination of silicone adhesive + zip ties. That way, if any improvements to the taco plate technology are forthcoming from Xtracycle, I can put them to use without damaging the frame trying to remove something as strong as Gorilla Glue.

        Scott
        Washington, DC

        > I used a batch of zip ties around the taco plate as insurance/flexy-
        > surface, and they seem to be somewhat working. I drove to work today,
        > I can check on it when I get home tonight, but I did check before and
        > it looked ok. The force that walks the plate, instead deforms the zip-
        > ties, which return to their original shape afterwards (or at least,
        > that is the theory).
        >
        > I HAD a walking plate before I did this.
        >
        > On 2009-09-02, at 9:43 AM, dianedouglas8 wrote:
        >
        > > Rick (or another Xtracycle staffer),
        > >
        > > My taco plate fell off when I pulled out my BD this morning. Have
        > > you guys heard about problems with the adhesive? Note that I took
        > > all precautions before installation. (Cleaned the frame surface +
        > > wiped down w/ alcohol before applying the taco plate.)
        > >
        > > Any tips on a better adhesive? I thought about using a silicone
        > > "glue" to give it a little more flex, but I may go full bore with a
        > > Gorilla-glue type instead.
        > >
        > > Anyone else have any problems with their taco shell walking forward
        > > out of place? (Perhaps this means everyone should take a look under
        > > their bikes to check...)
        > >
        > > Scott
        > > Washington, DC

      • David Dannenberg