Re: [rootsradicals] Re: Different e-assists

  • Cara Lin Bridgman
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 1, 2009
      That was the thing that sold my husband on the stokemonkey--that when
      the motor was running, I still have to pedal. The stokemonkey is an
      Assist. It's not a replacement for your own effort.

      Then my husband found the 'manual override.' He put his feet on the top
      tube. He looked really silly going down the road with the pedals
      spinning madly and his long legs sticking way out.

      Here in Taiwan, I frequently see people on e-bikes who have 'stopped
      pedaling and coast.' In fact, I hardly ever see them pedaling at all.
      They approach an e-bike as though it was a slow, light-weight motorbike.
      When the guy at the friendliest bike shop (he sells Giant LaFrees and
      I've known him for 20 years) found the Stokemonkey doesn't come with a
      freewheel for coasting, he figured it wouldn't sell in Taiwan.

      CL
      who likes the stokemonkey because she controls the pedaling effort.

      Bill Bonney wrote:
      > That's interesting information to know. That it is easy to use without
      > always wearing a 'foot retention system'. Though I'm guessing that with
      > the motor engaged, you need to keep peddling, to coast you have to let
      > off the throttle?
      >
      > see (for ref) http://cleverchimp.com/products/stokemonkey/warnings/ for
      > the warnings posted
      >
      > I think that for more sensible loads of the groceries a hub based motor
      > would be ok. The advantage being that you can just stop peddling and
      > coast. It's easier on the brain, if you are not the most confident or
      > avid cyclists.
      >
      > I agree with with todd that if you are an avid cyclist the stokemoneky
      > is the best option as it allows you assist you to pedal through your
      > normal bike gears, a far more efficient way to use the energy stored in
      > the battery. I like the set-up as i found with the BionX (as Todd also
      > stated) that you peddle slower to increase pressure on the pedals to
      > gain more assist.
    • Carl Ray
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 1, 2009
        Hello,

        E-assist has it's place bridging the gap of Car and bike. With a small adjustment in life style going car free is very reachable. An e-assit X is like a freakin suburban. I made trips to home depot and mulch leaf collecting as well as Saturday morning coffee runs kicking it at Starbucks. Can't quite tow a boat, but a kayak or a ladder, you betcha!

        Morgan over at Cycle9.com is a great source for e-assist information, she is vastly knowledgeable and truly cares about the right set-up for your situation. There are pros and cons to every system set-up. She can help you look at those, and come up with an ideal system for your needs.

        Carl

        On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 3:20 PM, ash13brook <ash13brook@...> wrote:

        What are the different brands/models of available e-assist motors?
        Those who have them, what do you like or dislike about them?
        I think the only way I'm going to be able to get my wife to go along to the grocery store and general errand running is if i can guarantee her she's not going to have to battle a headwind in either direction. I might not be opposed to it, either.

        --
        “A plant, which is a living and breathing entity, has the ability to understand and work in synchrony with the body’s internal needs, in harmony with the vital force within us, to heal and give life”

        -Donald R. Yance