Discussion about Dynamo Lights vs. Nite Rider MiNewt 400

  • ryan.alward@att.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 27, 2009
      Hello,

      I think that REI is having a sale this weekend. They will have 20% off the Minewt 400 (http://www.rei.com/product/793937). I already have the Minewt 2.0 but I am going to give it to my wife for our evening rides. I commute to work quite often and I think it would be nice to have double the lights.

      I know there is a discussion going on about having dynamo in stead of the Nite Riders etc.

      Can we get a discussion about the benefits of one vs the other? When it comes to the minewt I like the idea of not having the weight of the light when I don't need them. (Not that I really care, I ride a loaded Big Dummy 90% of the time). I also like that I can take them off and put them on my other bike, and I can also take them camping etc, for extra light.

      With the dynamo I like the idea of being able to go on a bike tour and ride in the the dark or near dark and not have to worry about charging a battery. The price of a dynamo set up will be quite a bit more expensive than the ~$200 I will pay for the MiNewt during the sale.

      Since this will be going on a Big Dummy how much abuse can the dynamo hubs take when it comes to off roading?

      Thanks for the input.

      -Ryan