Re: biggest size tires with fenders on a 700c X?

  • johnstanec
    Message 1 of 28 , Mar 28, 2007
      I had the exact same problem with my Surly Karate Monkey / Free
      Radical combo. I have 700c wheels and 35 tires, too.

      You're absolutely correct that there is not enough clearance with the
      snap deck to accommodate fenders. I was able to solve the problem by
      using strips of wood to elevate the snap deck about 3/4" above the v-rack.

      I started by first removing the black snap pieces from the deck. I
      then attached 2 strips of wood to the underside of the snap deck along
      both sides. I then attached snap pieces to the new strips of wood in
      the same location as they were on the snap deck originally. Now the
      snap deck sits just high enough to allow the fenders to clear. Perfect!

      I've attached a few photos to illustrate.

      Cheers!

      John

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "cfollm" <cfollm@...> wrote:

      > Hi all,
      > I have a Trek 7300 hybrid with an Xtracycle on it and have a question
      > about a rear fender. What is the biggest size tires has anybody gotten
      > on there with fenders? I have the stock Bontrager 700 x 35's on there
      > and I have a set of the Planet Bike Hardcore Freddy Fenders. When I put
      > the back one on, the snap deck pushes it on to the tire. It just seems
      > that there is no room. So is there something I am doing wrong or do I
      > need to either get a smaller tire or just live without a fender? I have
      > been getting alot of road junk on the back of my legs from the rear
      > wheel and a bunch on the top of the snapdeck, probably from the rear of
      > the wheel. Thanks in advance for your replies,
      > Chris

    • johnstanec
      Message 2 of 28 , Mar 28, 2007
        I had the exact same problem with my Surly Karate Monkey / Free
        Radical combo. I have 700c wheels and 35 tires, too.

        You're absolutely correct that there is not enough clearance with the
        snap deck to accommodate fenders. I was able to solve the problem by
        using strips of wood to elevate the snap deck about 3/4" above the v-rack.

        I started by first removing the black snap pieces from the deck. I
        then attached 2 strips of wood to the underside of the snap deck along
        both sides. I then attached snap pieces to the new strips of wood in
        the same location as they were on the snap deck originally. Now the
        snap deck sits just high enough to allow the fenders to clear. Perfect!

        I've attached a few photos to illustrate.

        Cheers!

        John

        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "cfollm" <cfollm@...> wrote:

        > Hi all,
        > I have a Trek 7300 hybrid with an Xtracycle on it and have a question
        > about a rear fender. What is the biggest size tires has anybody gotten
        > on there with fenders? I have the stock Bontrager 700 x 35's on there
        > and I have a set of the Planet Bike Hardcore Freddy Fenders. When I put
        > the back one on, the snap deck pushes it on to the tire. It just seems
        > that there is no room. So is there something I am doing wrong or do I
        > need to either get a smaller tire or just live without a fender? I have
        > been getting alot of road junk on the back of my legs from the rear
        > wheel and a bunch on the top of the snapdeck, probably from the rear of
        > the wheel. Thanks in advance for your replies,
        > Chris

      • johnstanec
        Message 3 of 28 , Mar 28, 2007
          I had the exact same problem with my Surly Karate Monkey / Free
          Radical combo. I have 700c wheels and 35 tires, too.

          You're absolutely correct that there is not enough clearance with the
          snap deck to accommodate fenders. I was able to solve the problem by
          using strips of wood to elevate the snap deck about 3/4" above the v-rack.

          I started by first removing the black snap pieces from the deck. I
          then attached 2 strips of wood to the underside of the snap deck along
          both sides. I then attached snap pieces to the new strips of wood in
          the same location as they were on the snap deck originally. Now the
          snap deck sits just high enough to allow the fenders to clear. Perfect!

          I've attached a few photos to illustrate.

          Cheers!

          John

          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "cfollm" <cfollm@...> wrote:

          > Hi all,
          > I have a Trek 7300 hybrid with an Xtracycle on it and have a question
          > about a rear fender. What is the biggest size tires has anybody gotten
          > on there with fenders? I have the stock Bontrager 700 x 35's on there
          > and I have a set of the Planet Bike Hardcore Freddy Fenders. When I put
          > the back one on, the snap deck pushes it on to the tire. It just seems
          > that there is no room. So is there something I am doing wrong or do I
          > need to either get a smaller tire or just live without a fender? I have
          > been getting alot of road junk on the back of my legs from the rear
          > wheel and a bunch on the top of the snapdeck, probably from the rear of
          > the wheel. Thanks in advance for your replies,
          > Chris

        • johnstanec
          Message 4 of 28 , Mar 28, 2007
            I had the exact same problem with my Surly Karate Monkey / Free
            Radical combo. I have 700c wheels and 35 tires, too.

            You're absolutely correct that there is not enough clearance with the
            snap deck to accommodate fenders. I was able to solve the problem by
            using strips of wood to elevate the snap deck about 3/4" above the v-rack.

            I started by first removing the black snap pieces from the deck. I
            then attached 2 strips of wood to the underside of the snap deck along
            both sides. I then attached snap pieces to the new strips of wood in
            the same location as they were on the snap deck originally. Now the
            snap deck sits just high enough to allow the fenders to clear. Perfect!

            I've attached a few photos to illustrate.

            Cheers!

            John

            --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "cfollm" <cfollm@...> wrote:

            > Hi all,
            > I have a Trek 7300 hybrid with an Xtracycle on it and have a question
            > about a rear fender. What is the biggest size tires has anybody gotten
            > on there with fenders? I have the stock Bontrager 700 x 35's on there
            > and I have a set of the Planet Bike Hardcore Freddy Fenders. When I put
            > the back one on, the snap deck pushes it on to the tire. It just seems
            > that there is no room. So is there something I am doing wrong or do I
            > need to either get a smaller tire or just live without a fender? I have
            > been getting alot of road junk on the back of my legs from the rear
            > wheel and a bunch on the top of the snapdeck, probably from the rear of
            > the wheel. Thanks in advance for your replies,
            > Chris

          • johnstanec
            Message 5 of 28 , Mar 28, 2007
              I had the exact same problem with my Surly Karate Monkey / Free
              Radical combo. I have 700c wheels and 35 tires, too.

              You're absolutely correct that there is not enough clearance with the
              snap deck to accommodate fenders. I was able to solve the problem by
              using strips of wood to elevate the snap deck about 3/4" above the v-rack.

              I started by first removing the black snap pieces from the deck. I
              then attached 2 strips of wood to the underside of the snap deck along
              both sides. I then attached snap pieces to the new strips of wood in
              the same location as they were on the snap deck originally. Now the
              snap deck sits just high enough to allow the fenders to clear. Perfect!

              I've attached a few photos to illustrate.

              Cheers!

              John

              --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "cfollm" <cfollm@...> wrote:

              > Hi all,
              > I have a Trek 7300 hybrid with an Xtracycle on it and have a question
              > about a rear fender. What is the biggest size tires has anybody gotten
              > on there with fenders? I have the stock Bontrager 700 x 35's on there
              > and I have a set of the Planet Bike Hardcore Freddy Fenders. When I put
              > the back one on, the snap deck pushes it on to the tire. It just seems
              > that there is no room. So is there something I am doing wrong or do I
              > need to either get a smaller tire or just live without a fender? I have
              > been getting alot of road junk on the back of my legs from the rear
              > wheel and a bunch on the top of the snapdeck, probably from the rear of
              > the wheel. Thanks in advance for your replies,
              > Chris

            • johnstanec
              Message 6 of 28 , Mar 28, 2007
                Photos are here:

                --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "cfollm" <cfollm@...> wrote:

                > Hi all,
                > I have a Trek 7300 hybrid with an Xtracycle on it and have a question
                > about a rear fender. What is the biggest size tires has anybody gotten
                > on there with fenders? I have the stock Bontrager 700 x 35's on there
                > and I have a set of the Planet Bike Hardcore Freddy Fenders. When I put
                > the back one on, the snap deck pushes it on to the tire. It just seems
                > that there is no room. So is there something I am doing wrong or do I
                > need to either get a smaller tire or just live without a fender? I have
                > been getting alot of road junk on the back of my legs from the rear
                > wheel and a bunch on the top of the snapdeck, probably from the rear of
                > the wheel. Thanks in advance for your replies,
                > Chris

              • johnstanec
                Message 7 of 28 , Mar 28, 2007
                  Photos are here:

                  --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "cfollm" <cfollm@...> wrote:

                  > Hi all,
                  > I have a Trek 7300 hybrid with an Xtracycle on it and have a question
                  > about a rear fender. What is the biggest size tires has anybody gotten
                  > on there with fenders? I have the stock Bontrager 700 x 35's on there
                  > and I have a set of the Planet Bike Hardcore Freddy Fenders. When I put
                  > the back one on, the snap deck pushes it on to the tire. It just seems
                  > that there is no room. So is there something I am doing wrong or do I
                  > need to either get a smaller tire or just live without a fender? I have
                  > been getting alot of road junk on the back of my legs from the rear
                  > wheel and a bunch on the top of the snapdeck, probably from the rear of
                  > the wheel. Thanks in advance for your replies,
                  > Chris

                • johnstanec
                  Message 8 of 28 , Mar 28, 2007
                    Photos are here:

                    --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "cfollm" <cfollm@...> wrote:

                    > Hi all,
                    > I have a Trek 7300 hybrid with an Xtracycle on it and have a question
                    > about a rear fender. What is the biggest size tires has anybody gotten
                    > on there with fenders? I have the stock Bontrager 700 x 35's on there
                    > and I have a set of the Planet Bike Hardcore Freddy Fenders. When I put
                    > the back one on, the snap deck pushes it on to the tire. It just seems
                    > that there is no room. So is there something I am doing wrong or do I
                    > need to either get a smaller tire or just live without a fender? I have
                    > been getting alot of road junk on the back of my legs from the rear
                    > wheel and a bunch on the top of the snapdeck, probably from the rear of
                    > the wheel. Thanks in advance for your replies,
                    > Chris

                  • johnstanec
                    Message 9 of 28 , Mar 28, 2007
                      Photos are here:

                      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "cfollm" <cfollm@...> wrote:

                      > Hi all,
                      > I have a Trek 7300 hybrid with an Xtracycle on it and have a question
                      > about a rear fender. What is the biggest size tires has anybody gotten
                      > on there with fenders? I have the stock Bontrager 700 x 35's on there
                      > and I have a set of the Planet Bike Hardcore Freddy Fenders. When I put
                      > the back one on, the snap deck pushes it on to the tire. It just seems
                      > that there is no room. So is there something I am doing wrong or do I
                      > need to either get a smaller tire or just live without a fender? I have
                      > been getting alot of road junk on the back of my legs from the rear
                      > wheel and a bunch on the top of the snapdeck, probably from the rear of
                      > the wheel. Thanks in advance for your replies,
                      > Chris

                    • Chris Follmer
                      Message 10 of 28 , Mar 29, 2007
                        Thanks John that sounds pretty simple and effective. I will give it a try!
                        Chris

                        johnstanec <johnstanec@...> wrote:
                        I had the exact same problem with my Surly Karate Monkey / Free
                        Radical combo. I have 700c wheels and 35 tires, too.

                        You're absolutely correct that there is not enough clearance with the
                        snap deck to accommodate fenders. I was able to solve the problem by
                        using strips of wood to elevate the snap deck about 3/4" above the v-rack.

                        I started by first removing the black snap pieces from the deck. I
                        then attached 2 strips of wood to the underside of the snap deck along
                        both sides. I then attached snap pieces to the new strips of wood in
                        the same location as they were on the snap deck originally. Now the
                        snap deck sits just high enough to allow the fenders to clear. Perfect!

                        I've attached a few photos to illustrate.

                        Cheers!

                        John

                        --- In rootsradicals@ yahoogroups. com, "cfollm" <cfollm@...> wrote:

                        > Hi all,
                        > I have a Trek 7300 hybrid with an Xtracycle on it and have a question
                        > about a rear fender. What is the biggest size tires has anybody gotten
                        > on there with fenders? I have the stock Bontrager 700 x 35's on there
                        > and I have a set of the Planet Bike Hardcore Freddy Fenders. When I put
                        > the back one on, the snap deck pushes it on to the tire. It just seems
                        > that there is no room. So is there something I am doing wrong or do I
                        > need to either get a smaller tire or just live without a fender? I have
                        > been getting alot of road junk on the back of my legs from the rear
                        > wheel and a bunch on the top of the snapdeck, probably from the rear of
                        > the wheel. Thanks in advance for your replies,
                        > Chris

                        "Success isn't defined by the things you have.
                        It's defined by the things you don't need."

                        always stay connected to friends.

                      • Cara Lin Bridgman
                        Message 11 of 28 , Mar 29, 2007
                          I'm not using super fat tires, just regular mountain bike tires, but I
                          insist on fenders. On my previous bike, the aluminum fender would
                          rattle against the snap deck. It also started wearing a hole in it.
                          So, I found a bit of felt, cut a 1/2" by 2" piece, and glued it to the
                          fender. No more rattles.

                          Assembling my new bike (Surly Instigator-xtracycle), I was surprised to
                          find the new fenders (black plastic from xtracycle) did not come in
                          contact with the snap deck. I had carefully set them low. They were
                          very easy to adjust.

                          CL
                          Message 12 of 28 , Mar 29, 2007

                                        I hate to sound like a pain, but is anyone else in the FreeRadical mailing list getting numerous duplicate of John’s e-mails? Yesterday I got a few doubles of both of his e-mails, which I simply ignored as just an accident or system quirk, but today when I downloaded my e-mail I got about a dozen more of the same e-mails. Half of them were the “exact same problem with my Surly Karate Monkey…” and the other half were the “Photos are here:...” e-mail. Both of the duplicate e-mails I got today were the same doubles I got yesterday.

                                        Normally this sort of thing happens when someone sends a secondary e-mail out because they think the first did not get through for whatever reason, but obviously getting a dozen of the same e-mail is rather uncommon and in this case I notice something particularly odd. When looking at the times each e-mail was received by my own e-mail server, the times range from 6:15pm yesterday to 1:02am last night. It is pretty odd for duplicate e-mails to be sent each over at least half-an-hour apart during a period covering several hours. I am wondering if other people on the list are having a similar problem. It has never happened before on my end, and in case anyone is wondering, John’s e-mails are the only ones, which are being repeated. I am getting tons of my other normal e-mail (including spam unfortunately and as usual), which are coming through just as they should.

                            _TONE_

                          • leeburns82
                            Message 13 of 28 , Mar 29, 2007
                              Yep, same thing here!

                              --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Tone" <Tone@...> wrote:

                              > I hate to sound like a pain, but is anyone else in the
                              > FreeRadical mailing list getting numerous duplicate of John's e-mails?
                              > Yesterday I got a few doubles of both of his e-mails, which I simply
                              > ignored as just an accident or system quirk, but today when I downloaded
                              > my e-mail I got about a dozen more of the same e-mails. Half of them
                              > were the "exact same problem with my Surly Karate Monkey." and the other
                              > half were the "Photos are here:..." e-mail. Both of the duplicate
                              > e-mails I got today were the same doubles I got yesterday.
                              > Normally this sort of thing happens when someone sends a
                              > secondary e-mail out because they think the first did not get through
                              > for whatever reason, but obviously getting a dozen of the same e-mail is
                              > rather uncommon and in this case I notice something particularly odd.
                              > When looking at the times each e-mail was received by my own e-mail
                              > server, the times range from 6:15pm yesterday to 1:02am last night. It
                              > is pretty odd for duplicate e-mails to be sent each over at least
                              > half-an-hour apart during a period covering several hours. I am
                              > wondering if other people on the list are having a similar problem. It
                              > has never happened before on my end, and in case anyone is wondering,
                              > John's e-mails are the only ones, which are being repeated. I am getting
                              > tons of my other normal e-mail (including spam unfortunately and as
                              > usual), which are coming through just as they should.
                              > _TONE_

                            • Todd Fahrner
                              Message 14 of 28 , Mar 29, 2007
                                --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Tone" <Tone@...> wrote:

                                > I hate to sound like a pain, but is anyone else in the
                                > FreeRadical mailing list getting numerous duplicate of John's e-mails?

                                Similar things are happening on several Yahoo groups I follow. It's a Yahoo glitch, not John's
                                fault.

                                It's easier to put things in the FreeRadical v-rack sockets to prevent the v-racks from going
                                all the way in than to modify the snapdeck itself to get extra vertical clearance. It's the
                                difference between elevator shoe inserts and a new hair-do to stand taller.
                              • Chris Follmer
                                Message 15 of 28 , Mar 29, 2007
                                  So the elevators are just some kind of spacer that goes in the socket? That sounds even easier than modifying the snapdeck!

                                  Todd Fahrner <fahrner@...> wrote:
                                  --- In rootsradicals@ yahoogroups. com, "Tone" <Tone@...> wrote:

                                  > I hate to sound like a pain, but is anyone else in the
                                  > FreeRadical mailing list getting numerous duplicate of John's e-mails?

                                  Similar things are happening on several Yahoo groups I follow. It's a Yahoo glitch, not John's
                                  fault.

                                  It's easier to put things in the FreeRadical v-rack sockets to prevent the v-racks from going
                                  all the way in than to modify the snapdeck itself to get extra vertical clearance. It's the
                                  difference between elevator shoe inserts and a new hair-do to stand taller.

                                  "Success isn't defined by the things you have.
                                  It's defined by the things you don't need."

                                  8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time