Intro, footsies, Xtras, and more

  • Christopher Palmer
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 8, 2006
      Hello all...I am Christopher Palmer. I'm a sculptor, arts educator, and
      100 other things in the SF Bay Area. I run a bike repair at Burning Man -
      http://www.borrachosybicicletas.org - and I co-run a free monthly bike
      clinic in Berkeley.

      I will be writing more soon, but I wanted to say hi, and tell folks how
      much I love my Xtra. I have installed some custom RGB LED light bars on
      the bottom, that rotate thru the entire rainbow slowly. I built an
      aluminum toolbox that fits under the snapdeck in front. It holds tools and
      spares, and a gel cell for the lighting. I installed a switch and charging
      jack on it, and the front of it holds a bottle cage.

      I have footsies for my daughter, and I used a threadless stem, and a piece
      of 1" EMT for her handlebar.

      I'll take pix of it all soon.

      see ya.
      CTP
    • Andrew Janjigian
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 8, 2006
        I have a clamp on threadless stem and a pair of grips on the seatpost of my XC/SM, but I was thinking about replacing it with one of these:

        Someone on the XC forum said it made a god grip, and it folds away when not in use. I was wondering if it would be sturdy enough for when I'm going 25mph or not, however. . .

        Andrew

        On Feb 7, 2006, at 7:23 PM, Phil Good-Elliott wrote:

        Hello, all. I'm considering buying an SUB FreeRadical and wondered if anyone has used the
        Footsie add-ons. I have a 6 y/o son who's a bit on the smallish side and his feet probably
        wouldn't reach down to the Footsies. I've also wondered if anyone's considered making an
        add-on handlebar attachment. I could see something that would attach to the seatpost,
        extend back and up from the seatpost and end in a smallish handlebar to allow for a
        secure grip for the passenger. I could see my kid holding on and feeling pretty secure,
        versus grabbing onto the snapdeck. He currently rides a trail-a-bike when I take him to
        Kindergarten.

        I now live about a mile from my work and commute by bike most days, even through our
        Northern Indiana winters. Before taking my new job in August of '05, I drove at least an
        hour's round trip for 14 years. I'm really ready to be done with car commuting.

        Thanks a bunch,
        Phil

        ride to believe.

        Konjac root Roots blower Ginseng root
        Root canal Root canal therapy Burdock root

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      • Ben Rosenthal

          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 8, 2006
            Tom, thanks for the reasonable suggestions, though we're on a tight budget, so I'm not
            sure the PeaPod is realistic for us. The "stoker bar" looks good, however. Any ideas about
            where to find one of those?

            Andrew, thanks for your suggestion, but I'm with Ben - it looks dangerous to use for a
            passenger grip.

            -Phil
            (if you're ever in Goshen, IN, check out our contra dancing at http://www.godancing.org/)

            --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Ahearn" <tahearn@...> wrote:

            > Phil,
            >
            > I've got the Footsies on my Xtracycle, but my six year daughter
            > (40lbs) cannot reach them yet so she rides in a PeaPod
            > (http://www.xtracycle.com/product_info.php?cPath=1&products_id=73). I
            > figure when she's too big for the PeaPod she'll be able to reach the
            > Footsies.
            >
            > As for the handlebar attachment, there are several good examples in
            > the Xtracycle galleries. Here's one for example:
            > http://xtracycle.com/gallery/view_photo.php?
            set_albumName=public&id=stoker_bar_with_grips
            > I really need to add one of these to my Xtracycle.
            >
            > I love taking my daughter to kindergarten on the Xtracycle. We both
            > laugh at her classmates stuck in traffic in their SUVs.
            >
            > Tom Ahearn
            > West Seattle
            >

            > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Phil Good-Elliott"
            > <poppamando@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hello, all. I'm considering buying an SUB FreeRadical and wondered
            > if anyone has used the
            > > Footsie add-ons. I have a 6 y/o son who's a bit on the smallish side
            > and his feet probably
            > > wouldn't reach down to the Footsies. I've also wondered if anyone's
            > considered making an
            > > add-on handlebar attachment. I could see something that would attach
            > to the seatpost,
            > > extend back and up from the seatpost and end in a smallish handlebar
            > to allow for a
            > > secure grip for the passenger. I could see my kid holding on and
            > feeling pretty secure,
            > > versus grabbing onto the snapdeck. He currently rides a trail-a-bike
            > when I take him to
            > > Kindergarten.
            > >
            > > I now live about a mile from my work and commute by bike most days,
            > even through our
            > > Northern Indiana winters. Before taking my new job in August of '05,
            > I drove at least an
            > > hour's round trip for 14 years. I'm really ready to be done with car
            > commuting.
            > >
            > > Thanks a bunch,
            > > Phil

          • Andrew Janjigian

              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 9, 2006
                Phil,
                Here are a couple of shots to look at. A tandem stoker
                stem is probably going to be your best bet.

                http://xtracycle.com/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=public&page=5

                Drew
                San Diego

                --- Phil Good-Elliott <poppamando@...> wrote:

                > Hello, all. I'm considering buying an SUB
                > FreeRadical and wondered if anyone has used the
                > Footsie add-ons. I have a 6 y/o son who's a bit on
                > the smallish side and his feet probably
                > wouldn't reach down to the Footsies. I've also
                > wondered if anyone's considered making an
                > add-on handlebar attachment. I could see something
                > that would attach to the seatpost,
                > extend back and up from the seatpost and end in a
                > smallish handlebar to allow for a
                > secure grip for the passenger. I could see my kid
                > holding on and feeling pretty secure,
                > versus grabbing onto the snapdeck. He currently
                > rides a trail-a-bike when I take him to
                > Kindergarten.
                >
                > I now live about a mile from my work and commute by
                > bike most days, even through our
                > Northern Indiana winters. Before taking my new job
                > in August of '05, I drove at least an
                > hour's round trip for 14 years. I'm really ready to
                > be done with car commuting.
                >
                > Thanks a bunch,
                > Phil

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • Ben Rosenthal
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 9, 2006
                  I'd be thrilled if Xtracycle would produce a handlebar unit for
                  footsies standers and deck sitters. Sure, I enjoy when friends hold
                  onto me (better than the deck or the seat post), but for smoother
                  riding, sometimes I stand up, and I have to be sure not to when a
                  rider needs me for his/her own balance. I would certainly be a first
                  buyer of such a product!

                  - Ben

                  On 9 Feb 2006, at 15:21, N A wrote:

                  > Phil,
                  > Here are a couple of shots to look at. A tandem stoker
                  > stem is probably going to be your best bet.
                  >
                  > http://xtracycle.com/gallery/view_album.php?
                  > set_albumName=public&page=5
                  >
                  > Drew
                  > San Diego
                • Phil Good-Elliott
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 10, 2006
                    Drew, thanks much. That's exactly what I was thinking of.

                    -Phil