Any Xtracycles in the OC (Orange County California)??

  • kwikfile
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 12, 2009
      I was at REI and the conversation turned to this mysterious person
      "... there is a guy in Brea that has an X, and rides everywhere..." If anyone know "this guy" please let me know. Or if anyone in the OC is up for a X meet and greet it would be nice to do.

      Thanks!

      Carl
      in the U.S. and A. California
    • anthony_coley
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 13, 2009
        Hi Carl,

        I have a Dummy and live in Huntington Beach. I'd like to meet up with other like minded folks. I saw a guy riding an X North on Bristol near South Coast about a month ago. Was that you?

        Other than the X at The Path a couple years ago, that's the only other X I've seen in OC. I'm the only Dummy I know of, but there's got to be others. Right? I heard of two in LA, but I've never met them.

        Shoot me an email and we can do a meet and greet.

        Laters,
        AC

        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "kwikfile" <kwikfile@...> wrote:

        > I was at REI and the conversation turned to this mysterious person
        > "... there is a guy in Brea that has an X, and rides everywhere..." If anyone know "this guy" please let me know. Or if anyone in the OC is up for a X meet and greet it would be nice to do.
        >
        > Thanks!
        >
        > Carl
        > in the U.S. and A. California

      • kwikfile
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 13, 2009
          Hey Anthony !

          HB that's cool yeah I commute Long Beach to Anaheim MON-WED-FRI
          So I can slide down PCH sometime. There are some dated pic's of my rig on http://www.xtracycle.blogspot.com That other X was not me, so there is another one to track down. It would be cool to get 4 or more of us on a ride! people will Freak when they see an Army of X's rollin'! I will keep in touch.

          > > Thanks!
          > >
          > > Carl
          > > in the U.S. and A. O.C. California

        • nicykathryn
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 14, 2009
            I'm up by USC but depending on the day and time, I'd love to join you guys. Or at least think happy thoughts about your meet & greet, as it's happening. And tell my OC friends about it (if you'd like me to).

            -- Nic
            (one of the Mysterious Two in LA County: black Jamis frame, black and silver Magic Carpet, knog bar-end lights, I am often mistaken for a police bike... though the LAPD, sadly, have not yet embraced the X for community policework)

            --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "kwikfile" <kwikfile@...> wrote:

            > Hey Anthony !
            >
            > HB that's cool yeah I commute Long Beach to Anaheim MON-WED-FRI
            > So I can slide down PCH sometime. There are some dated pic's of my rig on http://www.xtracycle.blogspot.com That other X was not me, so there is another one to track down. It would be cool to get 4 or more of us on a ride! people will Freak when they see an Army of X's rollin'! I will keep in touch.
            >
            > > > Thanks!
            > > >
            > > > Carl
            > > > in the U.S. and A. O.C. California

          • Carl Ray
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 14, 2009
              That's so cool! I have Green Down Low Glow Duals. I actually had a bunch of Anaheim PD wave to me one time as they were arresting a dude! Yeah, like about 10 of them!
              I really think Xtracycles could be really useful as Police bikes! Particularly if they had e-assist. Either way a cop on a bike is way more approachable. In Seattle I saw many more Biking Police all very nice and friendly. A whole lot cheaper to buy and maintain too.
              With some coordination we could get a cool meet and greet for sure.

              peace,

              Carl

              --
              “A plant, which is a living and breathing entity, has the ability to understand and work in synchrony with the body’s internal needs, in harmony with the vital force within us, to heal and give life”

              -Donald R. Yance
            • Fred K. Aron
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 14, 2009

                He y'all, I am setting up a spot into my basement to be able to work on my Xtracycle, the wife's Trek Mountain Bike and this fall, my big dummy.
                I was concerned that most stands might tip over with the longer bikes.  Any of you use a stand succefuly with your BD or X?

                Thanks

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • ama3655@aol.com
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 14, 2009
                  I use ropes hanging from the rafters. For many jobs these work better than a shop stand, especially with a long bike. Tie loops in the ends of the ropes, hang the bike from saddle and bars. If your rafters are sturdy and the rope is good you can really bear down on the bike. If it isn't obvious how this works let me know and I can probably post a photo. I got the idea from my brother who owns a bike shop and prefers ropes to stands for most jobs.

                  FatRob

                  In a message dated 8/14/2009 11:47:16 A.M. Central Daylight Time, inluvwithsara@... writes:
                  He y'all, I am setting up a spot into my basement to be able to work on my Xtracycle, the wife's Trek Mountain Bike and this fall, my big dummy.
                  I was concerned that most stands might tip over with the longer bikes.  Any of you use a stand succefuly with your BD or X?

                  Thanks

                • Rick | Xtracycle, Inc
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 14, 2009
                    Amen on the "Ropes from Rafters" trick.  Highly recommend that setup.  The oldest bike shop in America, Kopp's Cycles in Princeton, NJ uses a setup like that for their repairs.

                    But, that being said, I use Park's consumer level stand from the '90's to repair my Big Dummy and do free bike repair in my community and it works fine, just need to be more aware of balancing it.

                    Cheers,
                    Rick

                    On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 9:46 AM, Fred K. Aron <inluvwithsara@...> wrote:

                    He y'all, I am setting up a spot into my basement to be able to work on my Xtracycle, the wife's Trek Mountain Bike and this fall, my big dummy.
                    I was concerned that most stands might tip over with the longer bikes.  Any of you use a stand succefuly with your BD or X?

                    Thanks

                    http://mail.yahoo.com

                    --
                    graphic structuralist | rick@...
                    888 537 1401 x709 | the original longtail company
                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 14, 2009
                      > ...I use Park's consumer level stand from the '90's to
                      > repair my Big Dummy...

                      I have a SpinDoctor Pro from the late '90s. Takes the XtraCycle just fine - just have to clamp the top tube as far to the rear as possible.

                      Also, the KickBack works pretty well to get one or the other wheel off of the ground. I've done most of my repairs/maintenance this way since I did the install. (Now, I just need to get my KickBack back on the bike, but that's a whole 'nother thread...)

                      -Jonathan
                    • Allen Wade
                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 14, 2009
                        I have a Park portable stand set up and have 2 X's I built and work on regularly (one is a real tank) with no problem. Just make sure you tighten the swivel down tight.

                        Big Al

                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 14, 2009
                          I have the standard Park stand. Bought in 2 years ago maybe?
                          Works fine. Like Jonathon I put the clamp as far back as possible.

                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 14, 2009
                            Even better try clamping to the seat post.

                            Al
                            I have the standard Park stand. Bought in 2 years ago maybe?
                            Works fine. Like Jonathon I put the clamp as far back as possible.

                            > ...I use Park's consumer level stand from the '90's to

                            > repair my Big Dummy...

                            I have a SpinDoctor Pro from the late '90s. Takes the XtraCycle just fine - just have to clamp the top tube as far to the rear as possible.

                            Also, the KickBack works pretty well to get one or the other wheel off of the ground. I've done most of my repairs/maintenance this way since I did the install. (Now, I just need to get my KickBack back on the bike, but that's a whole 'nother thread...)

                            -Jonathan

                            __._,_
                          • Neil Walsh
                            Message 13 of 16 , Aug 14, 2009
                              I have a standard BBB workstand that clamps on the downtube that I use
                              to do repairs on my Big Dummy. It works fine, even with a Nuvinci hub
                              on the back.

                              Neil

                              On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 5:46 PM, Fred K. Aron<inluvwithsara@...> wrote:

                              > He y'all, I am setting up a spot into my basement to be able to work on my
                              > Xtracycle, the wife's Trek Mountain Bike and this fall, my big dummy.
                              > I was concerned that most stands might tip over with the longer bikes.  Any
                              > of you use a stand succefuly with your BD or X?
                              >
                              > Thanks
                              > http://mail.yahoo.com

                            • dianedouglas8
                              Message 14 of 16 , Aug 17, 2009
                                I use a Park Tool PCS-10 home repair stand. It's successfully held up Blufus, the Big Dummy; and I know it works fine for "conventional" bike frames.

                                It's a little pricey, but strong and durable.

                                Scott

                                --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Fred K. Aron" <inluvwithsara@...> wrote:

                                > He y'all, I am setting up a spot into my basement to be able to work on my Xtracycle, the wife's Trek Mountain Bike and this fall, my big dummy.
                                > I was concerned that most stands might tip over with the longer bikes.  Any of you use a stand succefuly with your BD or X?
                                >
                                > Thanks

                                > http://mail.yahoo.com

                              • Bryan Beretta