What Size Kayak Have You Carried With Your Big Dummy or X?

  • ryan.alward@att.net
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 11, 2009
      Hello,

      I am considering a Kayak or two for my wife and me. I haven't decided if I want a 2 person sit on top or a couple of singles sit on top or inside. It seems like a 9' or shorter could be carried fairly easily on a BD with wide loaders and a long loader (this is kind of why I am thinking about ruling out a 2-person...just too damned long). Has anybody carried two? I am trying to do this without getting a trailer and just using the bike. It will be a 3.5 mile downhill to the lake and the way home will be up. The other lake I could go to would be about 6 miles away. I want rec kayaks. Nothing for white water. Maybe some ocean use to go Ab diving.

      Thanks in advance for the help.

      -Ryan
    • Cara Lin Bridgman
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 12, 2009
        Hi Ryan,

        I've not carried a kayak on my xtracycle, but I have carried a 9'2"
        pole. I've also carried a whole bunch of other things large, long,
        bulky, and heavy things. And I have done plenty of whitewater
        kayaking--but this was before the X. I still have two whitewater
        kayaks. One is fiberglass of standard slalom kayak length (slightly >9
        feet, I think). With my wide loaders and long loaders, I would have no
        hesitation about carrying this kayak. My only reservations about
        carrying two kayaks is that it gets kind of complicated getting on and
        off the bike--which becomes getting in and out of the bike. As anyone
        who has carried long loads can tell you--keep a close eye out for things
        that can hang you up, stop you dead, and ding up you and the kayaks.
        You are traveling like an open-faced sandwich--open to the wind.

        Find a bunch of kayakers (try something like the Blue Grass Whitewater
        Association, rooted in Lexington KY) and I'm sure they'll be fascinated
        with your rig and willing to let you try carrying a few singles or
        tandems around a parking lot.

        CL

        ryan.alward@... wrote:
        > Hello,
        >
        > I am considering a Kayak or two for my wife and me. I haven't decided if I want a 2 person sit on top or a couple of singles sit on top or inside. It seems like a 9' or shorter could be carried fairly easily on a BD with wide loaders and a long loader (this is kind of why I am thinking about ruling out a 2-person...just too damned long). Has anybody carried two? I am trying to do this without getting a trailer and just using the bike. It will be a 3.5 mile downhill to the lake and the way home will be up. The other lake I could go to would be about 6 miles away. I want rec kayaks. Nothing for white water. Maybe some ocean use to go Ab diving.
        >
        > Thanks in advance for the help.
        >
        > -Ryan
      • Mark Garvey
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 12, 2009
          Um, I carried a carpet (rolled up) that was 11 x 15.  the WEIGHT is the problem.  I looked like I was leaning into the wind!  But it WORKED!  Carpet weighed maybe 150 lbs.  a Kayak is much lighter.

          IF it were my choice, I would go 2 smaller boats rather than one larger one.  If you two should wish to go seperate ways (as EXPLORE different sides of teh river say) you can do it with out a chainsaw being involved!

          Papa

          On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 12:58 AM, ryan.alward@... <ryan.alward@...> wrote:
          Hello,

          I am considering a Kayak or two for my wife and me. I haven't decided if I want a 2 person sit on top or a couple of singles sit on top or inside. It seems like a 9' or shorter could be carried fairly easily on a BD with wide loaders and a long loader (this is kind of why I am thinking about ruling out a 2-person...just too damned long). Has anybody carried two? I am trying to do this without getting a trailer and just using the bike. It will be a 3.5 mile downhill to the lake and the way home will be up. The other lake I could go to would be about 6 miles away.  I want rec kayaks. Nothing for white water. Maybe some ocean use to go Ab diving.

          Thanks in advance for the help.

          -Ryan

          <*> Your email settings:
             Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
             (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:

             http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          --
          Family FUN!.....with a twist!

          Papa Balloon
        • frozen_bike
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 12, 2009
            anybody carried two? I am trying to do this without getting a trailer and just using the bike. It will be a 3.5 mile downhill to the lake and the way home will be up. The other lake I could go to would be about 6 miles away. I want rec kayaks. Nothing for white water. Maybe some ocean use to go Ab diving.

            I have a pair of Innova inflatables that I carried on a CETMA both inflated and deflated. I found that when I carry them inflated it is way easier to ride if I carry both of them so that they balance.
          • Cara Lin Bridgman
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 12, 2009
              That's true. My kayaking buddies called the 2-person whitewater kayak
              the 'Divorce Boat.' The main, but not only, reason was rolling. One
              would roll and the other would swim and there would be words!

              CL

              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 12, 2009
                Thanks for all the replies everyone. I guess I wasn't thinking of how much a PITA it would be to get on the bike with 2. I have heard from other people that t is best to have 2 yaks so each can explore. Good advice.

                Take it easy,

                Ryan

                --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Cara Lin Bridgman <shokulan@...> wrote:

                > That's true. My kayaking buddies called the 2-person whitewater kayak
                > the 'Divorce Boat.' The main, but not only, reason was rolling. One
                > would roll and the other would swim and there would be words!
                >
                > CL
                >
                > Mark Garvey wrote:
                > >
                > > IF it were my choice, I would go 2 smaller boats rather than one larger
                > > one. If you two should wish to go seperate ways (as EXPLORE different
                > > sides of teh river say) you can do it with out a chainsaw being involved!

              • jonthelam
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 12, 2009
                  Or get inflatable Kayaks. This family carried both on their XC
                  http://carfreedays.com/2009/06/02/car-free-kayaking/

                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 12, 2009
                    we were initially thinking about inflatable. I think they would work best. I used a plastic ocean kayak the other day and liked it so much, but I think inflatable may be the way to go.

                    Thanks,

                    Ryan

                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 12, 2009
                      Um...I have a long loader on EACH SIDE of my X and it works REALLY REALLY well!  what does a Kayak weigh anyway  20 lbs?  sheesh!  i wouldn't even think about it....just toss it on board, lash it down and head for the hills.....or the river or whatever!.  and what the hell is SHE riding that she can't carry her own ?  Make her pack her own boat!  If no X, then a simple trailer would do the job.  No problem!  Or make her carry the food or somethihg!

                      Hehehehe!

                      Evil old man here (married 35 years!)

                      Papa

                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 12, 2009
                        papa,

                        Good stuff. I am lucky my wife is even in a bike at this point. I hope to get her on an XC in a year or so. She has a basket and will have panniers to carry some goods. I think that I will need to carry the boats for now if I want to have a chance to make it to 35 yrs. So far I have made it 2. Bike + Her + Boat = not going to make it to 3. I'll give It a couple more years before she tows things.

                        Thanks for the info,

                        Ryan.

                        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Mark Garvey <lazybee45@...> wrote:

                        > Um...I have a long loader on EACH SIDE of my X and it works REALLY REALLY
                        > well! what does a Kayak weigh anyway 20 lbs? sheesh! i wouldn't even
                        > think about it....just toss it on board, lash it down and head for the
                        > hills.....or the river or whatever!. and what the hell is SHE riding that
                        > she can't carry her own ? Make her pack her own boat! If no X, then a
                        > simple trailer would do the job. No problem! Or make her carry the food or
                        > somethihg!
                        >
                        > Hehehehe!
                        >
                        > Evil old man here (married 35 years!)
                        >
                        > Papa
                        >
                        > On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 12:32 PM, ryan.alward@...
                        > <ryan.alward@...>wrote:
                        >
                        > > we were initially thinking about inflatable. I think they would work best.
                        > > I used a plastic ocean kayak the other day and liked it so much, but I think
                        > > inflatable may be the way to go.
                        > >
                        > > Thanks,
                        > >
                        > > Ryan
                        > >
                        > > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "jonthelam" <johnny_m_lam@>
                        > > wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > Or get inflatable Kayaks. This family carried both on their XC
                        > > > http://carfreedays.com/2009/06/02/car-free-kayaking/
                        > > >
                        > > > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Cara Lin Bridgman <shokulan@>

                        > > larger
                        > > different
                        > > involved!

                        > --
                        > Family FUN!.....with a twist!
                        >
                        > Papa Balloon

                      • Mark Garvey
                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 12, 2009
                          HAHA!  I was kidding of course!  Ryan, you are a lucky guy!  Tell her I said that!  But in all seriousness, If I were making the decisions, I would say, 2 boats for all the logical logistical reasons and emotional ones too.

                          couples have differences.  No matter WHAT you want to think, they do.  the secret is to allow each other some space to cool off and having 2 boats makes this possible.  We once had a tandem bicycle. It nearly ended our marriage!  But I wish we had kept it, for other reasons!

                          Best of luck with the lovely woman!  be care full of her and work like HARD to make it a little longer.  Remember, Marriage is not a word....It's a sentence!

                          The VERY best personal wishes

                          Mark Garvey
                          aka Papa Balloon

                        • Morgan
                          Message 12 of 12 , Aug 15, 2009
                            Hi Ryan,
                            I've carried everything from a 17' Necky Looksha IV down to a 7' Necky Orbit Fish. And also a 14' Pyranha speeder.

                            The shorter whitewater boat is a breeze to carry. The 17' sea kayak was not something I'd want to do regularly. It worked ok, but was pretty wobbly, especially around turns. I don't think I'd try 2 of them at that length. The Pyranha speeder was also challenging, though not quite as much as the full sea kayak.

                            If you can get a kayak under 10' for the purpose, it will be a lot more pleasant to carry on the bike. You could probably do two together, though loading them up could get interesting.

                            Morgan
                            http://www.cycle9.com