Re: Motorist shoots bicyclist

  • Jake Wilson
    Message 1 of 29 , Aug 1 12:37 AM
      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "jollywahlstrom" <jolly@...> wrote:

      > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Jenni Ertl" <ertlnet@> wrote:
      > >
      > > A motorist argued with, then shot a bicyclist after confronting him about
      > > riding with his 3 year old on a busy street. The bullet went through his
      > > helmet, but did not strike him.
      > >

      > > http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090727/NEWS01/9072
      > > 70323
      > >
      > Obviously, the car drivers are what makes biking dangerous. If he wanted to help, he should shoot a few cars. This moron should lose his driving privileges also. He has HUGE anger issues.

      ~~~Time for Jake to weigh in on this one. first of all, let's not forget that a crime was committed. That crime was..one man shot at another man using a gun, and the bullet missed the victim's head by merely an inch. Folks, if that's not attempted murder, I don't know what is, never mind the perpetrator is a first reponder nor the victim's mode of transporting his child was a bicycle. Attempted murder is attempted murder and I assume that charge will stick w/no need for the prosecutor to try and plea it down in exchange for a no contest plea. They have this guy who committed the crime, dead to nuts

      It's going to be prosecuted as an attempted murder case. The defense will argue their client should go to the puzzle house but he will be going to prison, like it or not. I can't imagine extenuating circumstances keeping him out of prison

      A lot of you have argued intelligently for keeping the perp out of prison. Society pays a high financial price to keep criminals in prison. That is the cost we bear as a democratic society, and most of us are not involved in the court system. I'm not, unless I have been chosen for jury duty, or do something illegal and find myself charged with a crime. The court system will handle this. Some will be satisfied with the outcome, others wont

      Jake
      Reddick Fla.
    • Phil Good-Elliott
      Message 2 of 29 , Aug 2 6:20 AM
        A few thoughts about behavior related consequences given the offender's position:

        1) Lose gun permit - banned for life from ever owning a firearm.

        2) Lose first responder's license - the role is to save lives and property, not kill others, especially as a fire fighter. Allow him to work in equipment maintenance, but not directly in service - at least for several years.

        3) Pay huge fines towards counseling for victims of violent crimes in addition to paying for damages done to the victim and his family as a result of this trauma.

        4) Lose his driver's license for minimum of five years.

        5) Do voluntary service in a community bicycle shop for minimum of five years where he has to face bicyclists and learn all about bicycling.

        Don't know about prison time, though he should definitely be convicted of a felony.

        I don't know the rules of first responder licensing, so some of this may be moot. As someone who has worked with first responders, I do know that thy face huge stressors, but this is NEVER an excuse for violent behavior.

        -Phil