Re: [rootsradicals] Flash Flags for sale

  • Matt McKinney
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 17, 2007
      Ian,

      Great idea. I'll throw some paypal cash your way if you have one left...

      Thanks,
      Matt

      (Shipping would be to 55407)

      "Ian E. Hopper" <nollij@...> wrote:
      I've been meaning to post this here for several weeks, but I'm a
      chronic procrastinator! Having seen Flash Flags on several xtracycles
      (including our very own Bill Manewal), I was intrigued. I became more
      so intrigued when I realized that no one in the U.S appears to have
      any. They are made by a canadian company. After several unsuccessful
      attempts to contact the only person I knew who had some to sell, I
      decided to contact the company myself. I bought an initial order of 20
      with the intent of keeping a few for myself and my family, and making
      the rest available to other cyclists here in the U.S. If there's
      enough interest, I'll get more. I'm not trying to make a profit; I'd
      just like to see more of these out there as I believe they do a good
      job of increasing visibilty and safety for their users. I have one on
      "SuperVato" and one on my Bike E RX (recumbent). I have some small
      complaints about the attachment method, but I've found ways to
      circumvent the problem and can help others as well. I'll stop wasting
      your bandwidth now and just point you to my blog entry that gives more
      details.
      http://nollij. blogspot. com/2007/ 02/flash- flags-now- you-see-them_ 1576.html

      Keep the rubber side down!

      Ian

      Finding fabulous fares is fun.

    • Amos Patrick
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 17, 2007
        I snagged two of these Flash Flags from Ian a couple weeks ago and
        finally put them on the bikes. Here are a couple pics.

        http://www.flickr.com/photos/amos_n_molly/sets/72157600086087563/

        Anyhow, they look great. Thanks Ian!

        -Amos

        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Ian E. Hopper" <nollij@...> wrote:

        > I've been meaning to post this here for several weeks, but I'm a
        > chronic procrastinator! Having seen Flash Flags on several xtracycles
        > (including our very own Bill Manewal), I was intrigued. I became more
        > so intrigued when I realized that no one in the U.S appears to have
        > any. They are made by a canadian company. After several unsuccessful
        > attempts to contact the only person I knew who had some to sell, I
        > decided to contact the company myself. I bought an initial order of 20
        > with the intent of keeping a few for myself and my family, and making
        > the rest available to other cyclists here in the U.S. If there's
        > enough interest, I'll get more. I'm not trying to make a profit; I'd
        > just like to see more of these out there as I believe they do a good
        > job of increasing visibilty and safety for their users. I have one on
        > "SuperVato" and one on my Bike E RX (recumbent). I have some small
        > complaints about the attachment method, but I've found ways to
        > circumvent the problem and can help others as well. I'll stop wasting
        > your bandwidth now and just point you to my blog entry that gives more
        > details.

        http://nollij.blogspot.com/2007/02/flash-flags-now-you-see-them_1576.html

        > Keep the rubber side down!
        >
        > Ian

      • Ryano
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 17, 2007
          Please let us know your experience of how it works after a few months.

          I tried something similar in Tokyo and it seemed like a great idea, but after a few months, I noticed that it strangely seemed to *attract* aggressive drivers, rather than repel them.  These days I try to use other techniques - something bright in the freeloader that just happens to stick out innocently. Celery or daikon sticking out of the front basket with the shopping etc. Another good trick I learned from the messengers is riding one handed with your other hand on your hip, elbow sticking out onto the traffic side.  I find this works wonders.

          On 18/04/07, Amos Patrick <apatrick@...> wrote:

          I snagged two of these Flash Flags from Ian a couple weeks ago and
          finally put them on the bikes. Here are a couple pics.

          http://www.flickr.com/photos/amos_n_molly/sets/72157600086087563/

          Anyhow, they look great. Thanks Ian!

          -Amos

          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Ian E. Hopper" <nollij@...> wrote:

          > I've been meaning to post this here for several weeks, but I'm a
          > chronic procrastinator! Having seen Flash Flags on several xtracycles
          > (including our very own Bill Manewal), I was intrigued. I became more
          > so intrigued when I realized that no one in the U.S appears to have
          > any. They are made by a canadian company. After several unsuccessful
          > attempts to contact the only person I knew who had some to sell, I
          > decided to contact the company myself. I bought an initial order of 20
          > with the intent of keeping a few for myself and my family, and making
          > the rest available to other cyclists here in the U.S. If there's
          > enough interest, I'll get more. I'm not trying to make a profit; I'd
          > just like to see more of these out there as I believe they do a good
          > job of increasing visibilty and safety for their users. I have one on
          > "SuperVato" and one on my Bike E RX (recumbent). I have some small
          > complaints about the attachment method, but I've found ways to
          > circumvent the problem and can help others as well. I'll stop wasting
          > your bandwidth now and just point you to my blog entry that gives more
          > details.

          http://nollij.blogspot.com/2007/02/flash-flags-now-you-see-them_1576.html

          > Keep the rubber side down!
          >
          > Ian

        • Ian Hopper
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 24, 2007
            Amos, glad that you're liking the Flash Flags. As for Ryano from
            Tokyo's experience with flags *attracting* aggressive drivers, I
            can't say I've seen this in my own experience, but Marin County and
            SF are a bit different than Tokyo. Ryano; did they yell more things
            at you, perhaps about the flag? I'm curious as to the further
            explanation of "attracting" aggressive drivers.

            Thanks to Phillip Diaz for the tip on using 7/8 dowel to fit in the
            front bridge tubes for making wideloader / footsies! Did you have a
            fit issues after varnishing the dowel? An alternative to using wood
            screws through the holes in the front bridge to attach the dowel that
            would make removing the dowels easier would be to insert the dowel to
            appropriate depth and then fully drill through the dowel and the
            backside of the front bridge and then inserting a rivet pin or a hair
            pin cotter.

            If any of y'all want a Flash Flag, I still have a bunch.

            Ian Hopper
          • Ryano
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 24, 2007
              Sorry.  I had meant that as an individual email.

              I am the first to admit that my observations were totally subjective, based on my daily commute in Tokyo, which as you say is probably a totally different experience to a commute anywhere else.  I had a home made flag a bit like yours and just felt that drivers were more agressive around me when the flag was up.  Perhaps similar sort of phenomenon to the study done in the UK about cycling with and without helmet. A guy decked his bicycle with sensors, and rode exactly the same route everyday, at same speed, collecting data on how close people drove to him and whether there was any difference when he wore a helmet and cycling get up, and when he did not wear helmet and just wore regular clothes.  He found that cars were shaving significantly closer when he was in his cycling kit than when he wore regular clothes (and also giving him a wider berth still when he wore women's clothes and a wig, but that might have been for different reasons)...

              Anyhow, I was just trying to say that if you make yourself wider "innocently" by having a something accidentally on-purpose hanging out the side of your freeloader or front basket, you may tend to get treated better (here anyhow) than if you are agressively trying to defend your road space.

              On 24/04/07, Ian Hopper <nollij@...> wrote:

[...]

            • Cara Lin Bridgman
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 24, 2007
                Here in Taiwan, when I'm loaded up with kitty litter or potted plants or
                pallets, the road rather seem empty. Cars and motorbikes definitely
                give me a wide berth. Biking with a wobble works well, too. Cars here,
                however, are pretty well trained to expect and dodge obstacles.
                Everyone brakes for dogs and dogs are always in the middle of the road.

                After I've finished the downhill part of my commute, I'm thinking of
                pausing to remove my helmet for the rest of the commute to see what
                happens and if there's any difference in response. So far, I've noticed
                only two types of cyclists wearing helmets: 'racers' decked out in
                logo-covered biking suits and high school kids in uniforms. These kids
                wear their helmets all every which way, often unbuckled (rather defeats
                the purpose of a helmet, eh?). Saw a woman the other day with her bike
                helmet on backwards...

                One thing I've also noticed is that if I have my front and rear lights
                on during my morning commute, I get fewer cars in oncoming traffic
                turning left in front of me. At least it seems that way.

                What I really want is an airhorn.

                CL

                Ryano wrote:
                > Sorry. I had meant that as an individual email.
                >
                > I am the first to admit that my observations were totally subjective,
                > based on my daily commute in Tokyo, which as you say is probably a
                > totally different experience to a commute anywhere else. I had a home
                > made flag a bit like yours and just felt that drivers were more
                > agressive around me when the flag was up. Perhaps similar sort of
                > phenomenon to the study done in the UK about cycling with and without
                > helmet. A guy decked his bicycle with sensors, and rode exactly the same
                > route everyday, at same speed, collecting data on how close people drove
                > to him and whether there was any difference when he wore a helmet and
                > cycling get up, and when he did not wear helmet and just wore regular
                > clothes. He found that cars were shaving significantly closer when he
                > was in his cycling kit than when he wore regular clothes (and also
                > giving him a wider berth still when he wore women's clothes and a wig,!
                > but that might have been for different reasons)...
                >
                > Anyhow, I was just trying to say that if you make yourself wider
                > "innocently" by having a something accidentally on-purpose hanging out
                > the side of your freeloader or front basket, you may tend to get treated
                > better (here anyhow) than if you are agressively trying to defend your
                > road space.
              • J Loesch
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 26, 2007
                  HI Ian

                  If they are still available, I would like to buy 5 of the flags for my morning commuting group. Paypal?

                  ship to:
                  John Loesch
                  215 S. Villa Ave #3
                  Villa Park, IL 60181

                  thanks
                  John

                  Ian Hopper <nollij@...> wrote:
[...]

                  Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.

                • Cara Lin Bridgman
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 26, 2007
                    Hi Folks,

                    Here is the ultimate solution for keeping your gear dry.
                    <http://megaview.com.tw/~caralin/bike/070426-05WaterProofBike2.JPG>

                    CL

                    Cara Lin Bridgman

                    P.O. Box 013 Phone: 886-4-2632-5484
                    Longjing Sinjhuang
                    Taichung County 434
                    Taiwan http://megaview.com.tw/~caralin/
                  • Ian E. Hopper
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 1, 2007
                      Inre: airhorn. What you want is one of these:
                      http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/accessories.html#horns

                      I have 2; one on SuperVato and one I just removed from a recumbent I
                      just sold. They are awesome and work great. If you have albatross bars
                      (I think you do... you're the one who had the bathtub on the back of
                      the Surly Instigator/FreeRadical right?), get a Minoura Besso mount as
                      well so you can mount the horn right under your thumb for instant use.
                      I finally figured this out and it made the horn actually useful: I
                      used to have to take my hand off the grip to sound the horn, which
                      isn't advised in a panic stop. With the Besso/Air Zounds combo I have
                      instant noise even during panic braking.

                      Ian

                      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Cara Lin Bridgman <caralinb@...>