Re: footsies and more

  • Tom Ahearn
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 8, 2006
      Phil,

      I've got the Footsies on my Xtracycle, but my six year daughter
      (40lbs) cannot reach them yet so she rides in a PeaPod
      (http://www.xtracycle.com/product_info.php?cPath=1&products_id=73). I
      figure when she's too big for the PeaPod she'll be able to reach the
      Footsies.

      As for the handlebar attachment, there are several good examples in
      the Xtracycle galleries. Here's one for example:
      http://xtracycle.com/gallery/view_photo.php?set_albumName=public&id=stoker_bar_with_grips
      I really need to add one of these to my Xtracycle.

      I love taking my daughter to kindergarten on the Xtracycle. We both
      laugh at her classmates stuck in traffic in their SUVs.

      Tom Ahearn
      West Seattle

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Phil Good-Elliott"
      <poppamando@...> wrote:

      > Hello, all. I'm considering buying an SUB FreeRadical and wondered
      if anyone has used the
      > Footsie add-ons. I have a 6 y/o son who's a bit on the smallish side
      and his feet probably
      > wouldn't reach down to the Footsies. I've also wondered if anyone's
      considered making an
      > add-on handlebar attachment. I could see something that would attach
      to the seatpost,
      > extend back and up from the seatpost and end in a smallish handlebar
      to allow for a
      > secure grip for the passenger. I could see my kid holding on and
      feeling pretty secure,
      > versus grabbing onto the snapdeck. He currently rides a trail-a-bike
      when I take him to
      > Kindergarten.
      >
      > I now live about a mile from my work and commute by bike most days,
      even through our
      > Northern Indiana winters. Before taking my new job in August of '05,
      I drove at least an
      > hour's round trip for 14 years. I'm really ready to be done with car
      commuting.

      > Thanks a bunch,
      > Phil

    • Christopher Palmer
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 8, 2006
        Hello all...I am Christopher Palmer. I'm a sculptor, arts educator, and
        100 other things in the SF Bay Area. I run a bike repair at Burning Man -
        http://www.borrachosybicicletas.org - and I co-run a free monthly bike
        clinic in Berkeley.

        I will be writing more soon, but I wanted to say hi, and tell folks how
        much I love my Xtra. I have installed some custom RGB LED light bars on
        the bottom, that rotate thru the entire rainbow slowly. I built an
        aluminum toolbox that fits under the snapdeck in front. It holds tools and
        spares, and a gel cell for the lighting. I installed a switch and charging
        jack on it, and the front of it holds a bottle cage.

        I have footsies for my daughter, and I used a threadless stem, and a piece
        of 1" EMT for her handlebar.

        I'll take pix of it all soon.

        see ya.
        CTP
      • Andrew Janjigian
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 8, 2006
          I have a clamp on threadless stem and a pair of grips on the seatpost of my XC/SM, but I was thinking about replacing it with one of these:

          Someone on the XC forum said it made a god grip, and it folds away when not in use. I was wondering if it would be sturdy enough for when I'm going 25mph or not, however. . .

          Andrew

          On Feb 7, 2006, at 7:23 PM, Phil Good-Elliott wrote:

[...]

          ride to believe.

          Konjac root Roots blower Ginseng root
          Root canal Root canal therapy Burdock root

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        • Ben Rosenthal

            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 8, 2006
              Tom, thanks for the reasonable suggestions, though we're on a tight budget, so I'm not
              sure the PeaPod is realistic for us. The "stoker bar" looks good, however. Any ideas about
              where to find one of those?

              Andrew, thanks for your suggestion, but I'm with Ben - it looks dangerous to use for a
              passenger grip.

              -Phil
              (if you're ever in Goshen, IN, check out our contra dancing at http://www.godancing.org/)

              --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Ahearn" <tahearn@...> wrote:

              > Phil,
              >
              > I've got the Footsies on my Xtracycle, but my six year daughter
              > (40lbs) cannot reach them yet so she rides in a PeaPod
              > (http://www.xtracycle.com/product_info.php?cPath=1&products_id=73). I
              > figure when she's too big for the PeaPod she'll be able to reach the
              > Footsies.
              >
              > As for the handlebar attachment, there are several good examples in
              > the Xtracycle galleries. Here's one for example:
              > http://xtracycle.com/gallery/view_photo.php?
              set_albumName=public&id=stoker_bar_with_grips
              > I really need to add one of these to my Xtracycle.
              >
              > I love taking my daughter to kindergarten on the Xtracycle. We both
              > laugh at her classmates stuck in traffic in their SUVs.
              >
              > Tom Ahearn
              > West Seattle
              >

              > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Phil Good-Elliott"
              > <poppamando@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hello, all. I'm considering buying an SUB FreeRadical and wondered
              > if anyone has used the
              > > Footsie add-ons. I have a 6 y/o son who's a bit on the smallish side
              > and his feet probably
              > > wouldn't reach down to the Footsies. I've also wondered if anyone's
              > considered making an
              > > add-on handlebar attachment. I could see something that would attach
              > to the seatpost,
              > > extend back and up from the seatpost and end in a smallish handlebar
              > to allow for a
              > > secure grip for the passenger. I could see my kid holding on and
              > feeling pretty secure,
              > > versus grabbing onto the snapdeck. He currently rides a trail-a-bike
              > when I take him to
              > > Kindergarten.
              > >
              > > I now live about a mile from my work and commute by bike most days,
              > even through our
              > > Northern Indiana winters. Before taking my new job in August of '05,
              > I drove at least an
              > > hour's round trip for 14 years. I'm really ready to be done with car
              > commuting.
              > >
              > > Thanks a bunch,
              > > Phil

            • Andrew Janjigian

                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 9, 2006
                  Phil,
                  Here are a couple of shots to look at. A tandem stoker
                  stem is probably going to be your best bet.

                  http://xtracycle.com/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=public&page=5

                  Drew
                  San Diego

                  --- Phil Good-Elliott <poppamando@...> wrote:

                  > Hello, all. I'm considering buying an SUB
                  > FreeRadical and wondered if anyone has used the
                  > Footsie add-ons. I have a 6 y/o son who's a bit on
                  > the smallish side and his feet probably
                  > wouldn't reach down to the Footsies. I've also
                  > wondered if anyone's considered making an
                  > add-on handlebar attachment. I could see something
                  > that would attach to the seatpost,
                  > extend back and up from the seatpost and end in a
                  > smallish handlebar to allow for a
                  > secure grip for the passenger. I could see my kid
                  > holding on and feeling pretty secure,
                  > versus grabbing onto the snapdeck. He currently
                  > rides a trail-a-bike when I take him to
                  > Kindergarten.
                  >
                  > I now live about a mile from my work and commute by
                  > bike most days, even through our
                  > Northern Indiana winters. Before taking my new job
                  > in August of '05, I drove at least an
                  > hour's round trip for 14 years. I'm really ready to
                  > be done with car commuting.
                  >
                  > Thanks a bunch,
                  > Phil

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • Ben Rosenthal
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 9, 2006
                    I'd be thrilled if Xtracycle would produce a handlebar unit for
                    footsies standers and deck sitters. Sure, I enjoy when friends hold
                    onto me (better than the deck or the seat post), but for smoother
                    riding, sometimes I stand up, and I have to be sure not to when a
                    rider needs me for his/her own balance. I would certainly be a first
                    buyer of such a product!

                    - Ben

                    On 9 Feb 2006, at 15:21, N A wrote:

                    > Phil,
                    > Here are a couple of shots to look at. A tandem stoker
                    > stem is probably going to be your best bet.
                    >
                    > http://xtracycle.com/gallery/view_album.php?
                    > set_albumName=public&page=5
                    >
                    > Drew
                    > San Diego
                  • Phil Good-Elliott
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 10, 2006
                      Drew, thanks much. That's exactly what I was thinking of.

                      -Phil