Re: Noob around these parts

  • Judy Hayes
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 10, 2007
      Wow, very nice... I like those ideas...

      I am trying to find out how many Xtracycles addicts are here in
      Tucson. I am going to join a bike club, so maybe I will run into some
      there... we are such a HUGE biking town, couple that with good
      weather, and 1 million people, I would hope there would be a couple
      fellow Xtracyclers around here hehe.

      I obviously need to work on getting my legs working without my wheel
      chair or anything, but when I do my big dream is to do some nice
      biking trips... I dont have any friends or family that would do that,
      which is why I am really trying to find a local community that might
      be interested.

      I see so many switching to drum brakes, I figured while I am at the
      shop today I would pick their full of good bike knowledge brains, and
      see what mods I want to look into.

      I am really considering looking at putting a little motor on one of my
      bikes ( also going to be converted into an SUB) that way on my weak
      days where I cant get myself walking I have no excuse, I can pile my
      walker or wheel chair onto my bike and off we go! Any info on those is
      appreciated.

      Wow, 87 degrees today, that is just crazy, what happened to spring here!

      Judy Lynn

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Susan" <maps@...> wrote:

      > Welcome!!
      >
      > Drooling at the possibilities of spring coming to ILlinois, here :)
      >
      > Happy modifications!
      >
      > On my most recent foray into the bike shop, I was informed that
      > somebody had brought in an Xtracycle to be installed. That would make
      > eight that I know of here.
      >
      > I've just gotten a new front wheel on mine - with drum brake and
      > generator hub, since I liked the setup on my Gazelle so much. The
      > Lumotech is BRIGHT!! (There's a small glitch... it won't turn off...
      > further exploring to be done...)

    • forschmiedt
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 10, 2007
        Hi Judy,

        Have you seen the Stokemonkey yet?
        Check out cleverchimp.com to read about it. I know of at least one
        local woman who used the Stokemonkey to help her riding sooner after
        getting hit by a car on her Xtracycle.
        She had her Stokemonkey setup on a recumbant trike so she could get
        peddling even sooner.
        There's a couple pics of her crunched Xtracycle in the photo gallery
        here under Aarons Bike Repair's folder. She's Aaron's wife.

        Check this page a bit over half way down the page for a pic of Gypsie
        on her trike with son in tow. The red thing by her knees is the
        Stokemonkey motor. http://www.rideyourbike.com/xtracycleride5.html

        Good luck in your recovery.
        FF

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 12, 2007
          Thank you so much for the info. The Stokemonkey route looks like it
          will be perfect for my needs. I will have to save up a little bit, but
          the price actually wasnt bad considering how much it would help me,
          like they mention on the site, it would help me replace my truck more
          often I think.

          Thank you for the info, I most certainly will be going in that
          direction as soon as I have the funds.

          Thank you!
          JL