Re: [rootsradicals] something to X

  • Rick | Xtracycle, Inc
    Message 1 of 25 , Jul 17, 2009
      Welcome back into the fold, Alan.

      First, look on your local Craigslist: http://lancaster.craigslist.org/bik/

      Might be able to score some sweet deal there.  Aim for Specialized, Trek for reliable and cheaper bikes. Good luck finding a rigid fork, might need to get that aftermarket.

      You can go with an 8-spd in the rear since 6/7/8 all use the same type chain.

      Regarding disc. A new FreeRadical has a rear disc mount, so all you'd need would be the wheelset to be disc and a rigid fork setup for disc. Surly has a robust rigid fork with brazeons for fender/rack and disc.

      Cheers,
      Rick

      On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 12:07 PM, Alan Abrams <abayye@...> wrote:

       Hey, RootRadical folks. . . . Well I am an "Ex-" X rider looking to get back in and am looking for some advice. My X was on a Novara Safari (REI's "Adventure" touring bike) and that was pretty nice. But I ended up "de"-Xing that bike a little over a year ago and giving it to my girlfriend for touring, etc. (where it is serving her fine; she took it on a 300-mile tour in Israel last spring). I've been X-less since and really miss it.

      I'd like some advice on a bike to buy to rejoin the X world. The Novara Safari was a pretty good X, but I broke the 9-speed chain a couple of times and prefer to go with something with only 7 speeds on the back so I can use a standard-size (ie, stronger) chain. I want something strong (I weigh over 250 lbs.) and with disc brakes (which I got used to on the Safari). I also want something _cheap_ (as in, I'm really not willing to spend more than $500). I want 26 in. wheels and low gearing. I have an old Giant Sedona (circa 2000) that might do a good job, but it's a bit beat up and doesn't have disc brakes. I do _not_ want a suspension fork (which is why I won't buy the current Giant Sedona).

      Any suggestions? I prefer to buy from REI, but will do anything that makes sense.

      Thanks!

      --Alan

      Rabbi Alan Abrams
      http://abayye.blogspot.com
      http://smamitayim.blogspot.com
      Reading, PA

      ?רבינו, עד כאן
      "Our Master, even this far?"
                     --brachot 61b

      --
      graphic structuralist | rick@...
      888 537 1401 x709 | the original longtail company
      Message 2 of 25 , Jul 17, 2009
        Just a curiosity question...has anyone built or heard of a X-Fixie?

        Here to keep the wolves at bay.
        Sheepdog

      • Michael Yoder
        Message 3 of 25 , Jul 18, 2009
        • Carl Ray
          Message 4 of 25 , Jul 19, 2009
            Fixed gear Xtracycle!

            On Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 9:49 AM, Michael Yoder <yoderman@...> wrote:

            --
            “A plant, which is a living and breathing entity, has the ability to understand and work in synchrony with the body’s internal needs, in harmony with the vital force within us, to heal and give life”

            -Donald R. Yance
          • anthonyeberger
            Message 5 of 25 , Jul 20, 2009
              I'm old so forgive me but why would you want a fixed gear Xtra? My knees wouldn't hold up to stopping my fully loaded Xtra.

              Why are these such the rage now? They are everywhere in Milwaukee (I know the Milwaukee Bike Company). I work on the UWM Campus and I routinely see someone trying to navigate students while talking on a cell phone and drinking a cup of coffee and nearly every time they are riding a fixed gear (sans helmet of course).

              Do brakes really require that much work? Mine don't. Is it the straight line chain you are looking for? Why not internal gears?

              The Riverwest24 is only a few days away. There will be at least ONE Xtra and hopefully more. Come join the fun to cheer or um race? www.riverwest24.com

              Tony B.

              --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Fred K. Aron" <inluvwithsara@...> wrote:

              > Just a curiosity question...has anyone built or heard of a X-Fixie?
              >
              > Here to keep the wolves at bay.

            • Andrew Kreps
              Message 6 of 25 , Jul 20, 2009
                On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 1:40 PM, anthonyeberger<anthonyeberger@...> wrote:
                > Why are these such the rage now?
                >
                > Do brakes really require that much work?

                Well, they look awfully cool. Especially the body-colored super-dish
                rims. I think those who ride them would value the direct connection
                between their legs and the ground. Also, having a fixed gear doesn't
                necessarily exclude brakes. In fact, the Xtra fixie pictured clearly
                has a front brake. I'm not defending the honor of those with a
                holier-than-thou attitude, some of which certainly ride fixies, but I
                am saying that those of us in the glass house of specialized bicycles
                best not cast the first stone.

                For me, I see a fixie as a challenge. Not necessarily one I'd take on
                myself, but then again I'm in the middle of building a 29er
                single-speed mountain bike. Your gearing may vary.
              • Steve Lange
                Message 7 of 25 , Jul 20, 2009
                  On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 1:40 PM, anthonyeberger <anthonyeberger@...> wrote:
                  I'm old so forgive me but why would you want a fixed gear?

                  Why are these such the rage now?

                  Do brakes really require that much work?

                  Wasn't it your generation (or one close to it) that's credited with the saying "If I have to explain it to you..." ?

                  ;-)

                  Steve
                • Fred K. Aron
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jul 20, 2009
                    Could be worse...they could be in cars...
                    I was just curious due to the fact that the X Folks seem to be an extremely diverse group...not try to troll or get any feathers ruffled.

                    I have alot of friends on fixies...all of them are much more skilled than I(maybe cause I myself weigh 80 lbs or so more than I should)

                  • ryan.alward@att.net
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jul 20, 2009
                      I have a bianchi san Jose fixie that I commuted with for 2000 miles. Usually loaded with panniers and I also used it for grocerie shopping. I am however, a big fan f usig the breaks. There is a feeling that you get on a fixed gear that you don't quite understand until you spend some miles getting comfortable riding one. I love them, but that being said, it hasn't received very much use since I got my Dummy. The BD in my mind is he opitomy of practicality and the fixies are marginally so at best.

                      Take care,

                      - Ryan

                      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Steve Lange <steve@...> wrote:

                      > On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 1:40 PM, anthonyeberger <anthonyeberger@...>wrote:
                      >
                      > > I'm old so forgive me but why would you want a fixed gear?
                      > >
                      > > Why are these such the rage now?
                      >

                      > > Do brakes really require that much work?
                      >

                      > Wasn't it your generation (or one close to it) that's credited with the
                      > saying "If I have to explain it to you..." ?
                      >
                      > ;-)
                      >
                      > Steve

                    • Steve Lange
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jul 20, 2009
                        On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 5:13 PM, Fred K. Aron <inluvwithsara@...> wrote:

                        Could be worse...they could be in cars...
                        I was just curious due to the fact that the X Folks seem to be an extremely diverse group...not try to troll or get any feathers ruffled.

                        And I wasn't trying to be a jerk, just have some fun was all :-)

                        Fixed gears have been really trendy for a number of years now, so much so that "mainstream" bicycle makers have fully jumped on the bandwagon.

                        That of course turns off the hipsters, because once you see it marketed at Urban Outfitters (http://bikes.urbanoutfitters.com/), you know the proverbial shark has been jumped.

                        Also, just in personal experience I've found that a lot of riders who've been doing the fixed gear thing for a few years are now ready to move on to bikes that are more versatile. I.e. gears, brakes, racks, fenders, lights, etc.

                        I suspect within 2-3 years fixed gears will be a sort of an obscure novelty again and the fad will be completely forgotten. Hopefully in favor of a new fad around utility cycling! :-)

                        Steve

                      • ama3655@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jul 20, 2009
                          Fixed gears may be a novelty for some, but they are an addiction for others of us. I feel no compulsion whatsoever to put a fixed gear on my big dummy. Ever. I have several fixies that are totally useless other than for exercize, building larger quads, and form. And did I mention that they are fun? When I ride some bikes I'm doing so with some purpose in mind, sometimes a productive purpose such as getting groceries. When I air up the tires on a fixie I get a big grin because I know it's going to be a ride that is for fun.
                          FatRob

                          Message 12 of 25 , Jul 20, 2009
                            --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Steve Lange <steve@...> wrote:
                            > I suspect within 2-3 years fixed gears will be a sort of an obscure
                            novelty
                            > again and the fad will be completely forgotten. Hopefully in favor of
                            a new
                            > fad around utility cycling! :-)

                            Yes the fad will pass, but I disagree on the direction. I predict the
                            trend will be toward greater simplicity and the only thing simpler than
                            a fixie is a unicycle.

                            Perhaps from there we will move on to cargo bikes.

                            Philip
                            Message 13 of 25 , Jul 20, 2009
                              On 2009-07-20, at 10:23 PM, Philip Chase wrote:
                              > Yes the fad will pass, but I disagree on the direction. I predict the
                              > trend will be toward greater simplicity and the only thing simpler
                              > than
                              > a fixie is a unicycle.
                              >
                              > Perhaps from there we will move on to cargo bikes.

                              Without first passing through cargo unicycle? And multispeed cargo
                              unicycle, with a fender ("more stable if you the load is below the
                              axle")? It could totally happen.

                              David
                            • Nathan Klatt
                              Message 14 of 25 , Jul 20, 2009
                                > Yes the fad will pass, but I disagree on the direction. I predict the
                                > trend will be toward greater simplicity and the only thing simpler than
                                > a fixie is a unicycle.

                                I agree with Philip. In fact, it may even be too late to "predict"
                                this new direction! You owe it to yourselves to poke around the video
                                sites and see the crazy unicycle footage.
                              • Abigail vR
                                Message 15 of 25 , Jul 20, 2009
                                  > > Yes the fad will pass, but I disagree on the direction. I predict
                                  > the
                                  > > trend will be toward greater simplicity and the only thing
                                  > simpler than
                                  > > a fixie is a unicycle.
                                  >
                                  > I agree with Philip. In fact, it may even be too late to "predict"
                                  > this new direction! You owe it to yourselves to poke around the video
                                  > sites and see the crazy unicycle footage.
                                  I drove past what looked like two high school aged girls riding
                                  unicycles in a bike line in our town last week. Now I'm wondering if
                                  they were trendsetters!

                                  I have to admit I wondered about the utility of an Xtracycle Fixie
                                  but I don't claim to be the world's speediest or fittest cyclist so I
                                  figured someone speedier and fitter than I could probably handle that
                                  better. :)

                                  Abigail
                                  on a 21 speed Townie-X, in the slow lane
                                • Elaine Nelson
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jul 21, 2009
                                    I see people around here on fixies and I honestly can't understand it...we have so many hills! I go through almost all my gearing options just on my daily commute, and I don't have to take on the BIG hills in town.

                                    But as someone else said, as fellow weird-bike-owners, we shouldn't talk. :) I say the more bike-diversity the better.
                                  • Sean Moore
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Jul 21, 2009
                                      Anyone know who owns that xtracycle fixie? It might be a second
                                      xtracycle in the family and used for short, flat trips. Honestly, for
                                      most of my short trips I could easily get by with a single gear. As
                                      low as that one appears to be geared it would be a slow, easy ride and
                                      even my old knees could help the front brake slow it down. With such
                                      a low gear I don't think the rider is going to be descending very many
                                      steep hills. The rear brake cable appears to end at the saddle but
                                      again, super low gearing. A rear brake would be pretty redundant with
                                      that gearing.

                                      One of the biggest advantages of fixed gear bikes is the lack of
                                      necessary maintenance. There's simply a lot less to go wrong. I'm
                                      not really sure this owner really needs to worry about that aspect,
                                      they are carrying a spare cog on the shifter boss and it would appear
                                      that the fork is carbon. Obviously someone who loves bikes and
                                      undoubtedly owns a full complement of tools ;)

                                      --
                                      Sean Moore
                                      moore.sean@...

                                      On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 8:50 AM, Elaine Nelson<epersonae@...> wrote:

                                      > I see people around here on fixies and I honestly can't understand it...we
                                      > have so many hills! I go through almost all my gearing options just on my
                                      > daily commute, and I don't have to take on the BIG hills in town.
                                      >
                                      > But as someone else said, as fellow weird-bike-owners, we shouldn't talk. :)
                                      > I say the more bike-diversity the better.

                                    • vorephoto
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Jul 21, 2009
                                        Quote: "Also, just in personal experience I've found that a lot of riders who've been doing the fixed gear thing for a few years are now ready to move on to bikes that are more versatile. I.e. gears, brakes, racks, fenders, lights, etc.

                                        I suspect within 2-3 years fixed gears will be a sort of an obscure novelty again and the fad will be completely forgotten. Hopefully in favor of a new fad around utility cycling! :-)"

                                        I've been doing the fixed thing for over 10 years and find it to be extremely versatile and utility-oriented! Not all of us ride track-specific frames with tight clearances, ultra-responsive geometry, and 90-inch gearing.

                                        My fixed gear is a Steelwool Sweet City, complete with rack, fender, and water bottle braze-ons. In the winter, I have clearance for 35mm cyclocross tires and fenders. The eccentric bottom bracket and vertical rear dropouts make changing flats - even with the fenders installed - a snap. The wheel drops straight down and when I put it back on, the chain tension is perfect every time.

                                        If I'm not getting a bunch of groceries or cargo, the fixed gear is quicker, easier, and more convenient than the Big Dummy. Plus, it's fun. :-D

                                        If I had to limit my stable to two bikes . . . it would be the Big Dummy and the Sweet City. Completely different bikes, but they cover a LOT of ground!!!
                                      • Steve Lange
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Jul 21, 2009
                                          On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 9:00 AM, vorephoto <jeremy@...> wrote:

                                          If I had to limit my stable to two bikes . . . it would be the Big Dummy and the Sweet City. Completely different bikes, but they cover a LOT of ground!!!

                                          Totally agree. My daily commuter is a brakeless Alien track frame with narrow flatbars - a true jackass bike if ever there was one. But I absolutely love it... it's my hotrod.

                                          That said, having the hotrod is made possible by also having the Xtracycle for more practical pursuits. In my view, it's best to have breadth rather than redundancy in one's bicycle quiver ;-)

                                          Steve

                                        • anthonyeberger
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Jul 21, 2009
                                            WOW I didn't mean to start such a discussion and didn't mean to offend anyone really. I see plenty of regular old riders doing the same things (cell phone, coffee etc) on campus too.

                                            I was just wondering why so many people were into fixies that they also thought about building an Xtra into one.

                                            Oh and I am old but funny how this all goes. I am also a Unicyclist! A bad one, but I can do it....still my bikes free wheel :) and most of the have gears too.

                                            Thanks for all the great posts. Sorry if I offended anyone. It wasn't my intention at all.

                                            3 days to the RiverWest24!

                                            Tony B.

                                            Message 21 of 25 , Jul 21, 2009
                                              On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 11:40 AM, anthonyeberger <anthonyeberger@...> wrote:

                                              Thanks for all the great posts.  Sorry if I offended anyone.  It wasn't my intention at all.

                                              I don't see anyone taking offense - and a fixed gear Xtracycle is quite a thing to ponder. Maybe in Key West? ;-)

                                              There was a guy who posted to Bikeforums for quite a while who was really into making Electra beach cruisers into Xtracycles. They were all singlespeeds, really nice looking with Down-Low Glows, rocketship taillights and the works. He and his wife converted longboard skateboards into Snapdecks and would good cruising/skating with them. Living the good life!

                                              Steve
                                            • Nathan Klatt
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Jul 21, 2009
                                                > There was a guy who posted to Bikeforums for quite a while who was really
                                                > into making Electra beach cruisers into Xtracycles.

                                                I miss Derek and all his bikerubbish.
                                              • Fred K. Aron
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Jul 21, 2009
                                                  Amen, my favorite was his Ratfink cruiser!

                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Jul 22, 2009
                                                    Re: Xtracycle Fixie?? > Anyone know who owns that xtracycle fixie?

                                                    Not sure but I would check with Aaron from Aaron’s bike repair in Seattle (http://www.rideyourbike.com)

                                                    Off topic, are there any Xtracycle riders out there near north Dallas?

                                                    Michael