Fossil Fool chosen as Brook Saddles cover boy

  • Paul Freedman
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 5, 2007
      What's up roots?

      I wanted to point you to http://www.brookssaddles.com/, where you'll
      see an image of San Francisco late night bike party culture gracing
      the Brooks Saddles home page! They chose my submission as the winner
      of their photo contest. Many thanks to Ross for snapping this photo.

      Here's the caption that will hopefully accompany this image:

      "I was street performing in North Beach, San Francisco, during one of
      the San Francisco Cruiser Rides, and this crowd of people walked by
      and started really reacting to the music. One of them said he had
      something to say a cappella, so I handed him the microphone and let
      him do his thing. He was really getting into it.

      The bike is an Xtracycle Sport Utility Bicycle with a custom-built,
      300-watt, 5-speaker music system called the Soul Cycle. It's got all
      sorts of switches and knobs on the handlebars, including lighting,
      bass adjustment, and even a tiny 2 channel mixer so I can balance my
      vocals to the backing music. I rap mostly about bikes and public
      transportation. I try to keep it funny because the guilt trips don't
      work. My mission is to get a bike rap song in the top 40, alongside
      all the songs about cars and guns and girls.

      The Soul Cycle project inspired me to invent the Down Low Glow – the
      neon green ground effects lights seen in the picture. I've now sold
      them to folks all over the world through the Fossil Fool.com web site.
      People say they feel a lot safer at night due to the intense side
      visibility. Most people just buy it for the cool `pillow' effect you
      get gliding on the neon light.

      Thanks to Brooks for continuing to put out such a high quality and
      stylish product. I'm all about making my bike as styling as possible,
      not to intimidate or compete with others, but to amaze small children
      and convince my peers that cycling is sexy. Once we achieve that, I
      think you'll find a lot more cities in the US that have strong bike
      cultures. It's worth the effort.

      Paul Freedman "