Noob around these parts

  • Judy Hayes
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 3, 2007
      Hello everyone,

      I am new to this community. For quite a while now I have wanted to
      make the conversion, however health removed me from life for a while,
      and took my legs with it.

      I am back, learning to walk again, and gazing longingly at my bike,
      drooling at the possibilities of getting her modified...

      I just contacted my local dealer, I hope to go for a test drive soon,
      and soon after get modified. Living in Tucson Arizona gives me no
      excuse to not use my bike... the weather here is simply too nice.

      I look forward to learning from you all

      Judy Lynn
    • Susan
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 9, 2007
        Welcome!!

        Drooling at the possibilities of spring coming to ILlinois, here :)

        Happy modifications!

        On my most recent foray into the bike shop, I was informed that
        somebody had brought in an Xtracycle to be installed. That would make
        eight that I know of here.

        I've just gotten a new front wheel on mine - with drum brake and
        generator hub, since I liked the setup on my Gazelle so much. The
        Lumotech is BRIGHT!! (There's a small glitch... it won't turn off...
        further exploring to be done...)

        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Judy Hayes" <mj@...> wrote:

        > Hello everyone,
        >
        > I am new to this community. For quite a while now I have wanted to
        > make the conversion, however health removed me from life for a while,
        > and took my legs with it.
        >
        > I am back, learning to walk again, and gazing longingly at my bike,
        > drooling at the possibilities of getting her modified...
        >
        > I just contacted my local dealer, I hope to go for a test drive soon,
        > and soon after get modified. Living in Tucson Arizona gives me no
        > excuse to not use my bike... the weather here is simply too nice.
        >
        > I look forward to learning from you all
        >
        > Judy Lynn

      • Judy Hayes
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 10, 2007
          Wow, very nice... I like those ideas...

          I am trying to find out how many Xtracycles addicts are here in
          Tucson. I am going to join a bike club, so maybe I will run into some
          there... we are such a HUGE biking town, couple that with good
          weather, and 1 million people, I would hope there would be a couple
          fellow Xtracyclers around here hehe.

          I obviously need to work on getting my legs working without my wheel
          chair or anything, but when I do my big dream is to do some nice
          biking trips... I dont have any friends or family that would do that,
          which is why I am really trying to find a local community that might
          be interested.

          I see so many switching to drum brakes, I figured while I am at the
          shop today I would pick their full of good bike knowledge brains, and
          see what mods I want to look into.

          I am really considering looking at putting a little motor on one of my
          bikes ( also going to be converted into an SUB) that way on my weak
          days where I cant get myself walking I have no excuse, I can pile my
          walker or wheel chair onto my bike and off we go! Any info on those is
          appreciated.

          Wow, 87 degrees today, that is just crazy, what happened to spring here!

          Judy Lynn

          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Susan" <maps@...> wrote:

          > Welcome!!
          >
          > Drooling at the possibilities of spring coming to ILlinois, here :)
          >
          > Happy modifications!
          >
          > On my most recent foray into the bike shop, I was informed that
          > somebody had brought in an Xtracycle to be installed. That would make
          > eight that I know of here.
          >
          > I've just gotten a new front wheel on mine - with drum brake and
          > generator hub, since I liked the setup on my Gazelle so much. The
          > Lumotech is BRIGHT!! (There's a small glitch... it won't turn off...
          > further exploring to be done...)

        • forschmiedt
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 10, 2007
            Hi Judy,

            Have you seen the Stokemonkey yet?
            Check out cleverchimp.com to read about it. I know of at least one
            local woman who used the Stokemonkey to help her riding sooner after
            getting hit by a car on her Xtracycle.
            She had her Stokemonkey setup on a recumbant trike so she could get
            peddling even sooner.
            There's a couple pics of her crunched Xtracycle in the photo gallery
            here under Aarons Bike Repair's folder. She's Aaron's wife.

            Check this page a bit over half way down the page for a pic of Gypsie
            on her trike with son in tow. The red thing by her knees is the
            Stokemonkey motor. http://www.rideyourbike.com/xtracycleride5.html

            Good luck in your recovery.
            FF

            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 12, 2007
              Thank you so much for the info. The Stokemonkey route looks like it
              will be perfect for my needs. I will have to save up a little bit, but
              the price actually wasnt bad considering how much it would help me,
              like they mention on the site, it would help me replace my truck more
              often I think.

              Thank you for the info, I most certainly will be going in that
              direction as soon as I have the funds.

              Thank you!
              JL