Re: Catastrophic failure!

  • dianedouglas8
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 6, 2009
      Anthony,

      Thanks for the concern.

      I like your custom snapdeck--did you find a couple of cheapie kid seats to use? I've got a nice Topeak Baby Seat that will still work to ferry the kid on my short bike. I'm currently unwilling to part with that--I'm instead going to commission another double wooden seat (or just try to fix the one I've got).

      What's a big bummer, is that we're headed on vacation (beach in NC) in five days. I planned on taking the BD (to show it off to the family), but we're going to have to work something else out to carry my younger boy on the snapdeck. Perhaps one of his cousins will agree to ride behind him at all times to help him stay on.

      Warmest regards,

      Scott

      P.S. nice mod to the kickback!
      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "anthony_coley" <anthony_coley@...> wrote:

      > Hi Scott,
      >
      > That's pretty scarry! Glad your kids where already dropped off..
      >
      > I too have a custom tandem kid seat setup with front/rear Whatchamacollars and straps under each seat that secures the deck to the V-rack. This is a good setup and I'm confident the deck isn't going anywhere..
      >
      > Here's a pic of my setup:
      >
      > http://www.flickr.com/photos/xtracycle/3379797981/
      >
      > If you look close you can see the two blue straps.
      >

      > Regards,
      > AC
      > Huntington Beach, CA
      >

      > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "dianedouglas8" <diane.douglas8@> wrote:
      > >
      > > On my way into the office this morning (after I had dropped off the kids), my custom double kid seat snapdeck replacement ejected itself off my BD's back end after I hit a sizeable bump at moderately high speed on a downhill.
      > >
      > > It hit the pavement and broke into multiple pieces.
      > >
      > > For those of you out there with difficult-to-replace one-off kid seats, you can appreciate my dismay.
      > >
      > > I just hope that my Uncle will be willing to craft another.
      > >
      > > Scott
      > > Washington, DC

    • anthony_coley
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 6, 2009
        Hi,

        Yes, I bought the cheapest seats I could find in case it didn't work out like I anticipated, but it worked out really well, so I just kept them installed. Too bad on your trip! The BD is the ticket at the beach. I live in Huntington Beach CA and use it all the time for the beach and parks.. Not sure how we got around with out...

        Regards,
        AC