Re: [rootsradicals] another Xtracycling mom in the news

  • christine howell
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 3, 2009
      Hi, Jennifer,
      We had an inexpensive BELL brand kid seat and cut the legs off with a mini-saw and then mounted it to the snap deck with 3 bolts.  I can remove the snapdeck, and I have another snapdeck with a magic carpet for single kid/adult riding (My husband and I have taken it out on dates.)  Additionally, Ron Hanson of Maryland is making me a custom 2 seater called the Roundabout for $150.  It's pricey, but it is it's own snapdeck too and more stability for the older child.  We'll see how that rides.  So, lots of options.  I definitely prefer having the heavier of the two on the front end of the snapdeck.
      Thanks for reading!
      Chris
      Roanokecarfreewithkids.wordpress.com

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 3, 2009
        I did roughly the same thing with my Co-Pilot Taxi seat though I mounted right behind the saddle so
        I didn't have to cut off the legs. I was a bit worried about destroying our only seat with an
        experiment. It worked out really well even though my daughter seems to ride pretty close to my
        backside. I actually used a 1/2" piece of wood plank cut to exactly the same width as the rack the
        co-pilot seat was intended to mount to. Then I drilled 4 holes thru the seat, the wood plank and the
        snap deck and bolted them all together

        Chris, how does your X ride with just one child so far back on the bike? Any xtra wiggly action when
        you don't have other cargo?

        My longer term plan is to build a snapdeck with two co-pilot seats that I can swap in/out with a
        stock snapdeck. When I get to this I will be cutting the legs off the seats so they can be mounted a
        little further back. My only worry is that snapdeck hooks might not be enough to keep the whole
        things attached to the v-racks. Is anyone adding other reinforcement to their child-rigs to deal
        with this?

        The custom Roundabout sounds really interesting, will it be entirely made of wood? Any idea how much
        it will weigh?

        Hooray for the kid-capacity of the xtracycle!

        -Bill

        --
        -=| Bill Swingle - unfurl@...
      • watrout
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 6, 2009
          I have a homemade double kid seat that I use on my X. I ordered an extra set of snapdeck hooks and just swap out between the seat and snapdeck depending on what I'm doing. I was orginally concerned about the hooks not being strong enough so for a while I was running an extra strap hooking the seat to the v racks, but the main safety feature I use is 2 small straps (1 in front and 1 behind the snapdeck) that keep the 2 v racks strapped together. This seems to keep things very secure and I have since stopped using the extra seat strap.