another Xtracycling mom in the news

  • isaknchris
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 3, 2009
      Hi,all:
      Just wanted to share a little plug for the Xtracycle that was written about our family. The Xtracycle picture appeared in the paper version, but for some odd reason, did not make the online version. Nevertheless, thought it might interest some to see what a frumpy ol' mom in Roanoke, VA is doing.

      http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/210508

      Cheers, and happy riding.
      Chris
      PS: check out the blog on roanokecarfreewithkids.wordpress.com
    • Jennifer Logan
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 3, 2009
        Great story, Chris!  And I enjoyed your blog.  Very inspiring.

        I'd love to hear how you hacked the child seat on.  Did you just cut off the legs?  (and how??)  How is it attached?  I've currently got the little one behind me in a Bobike and the older on the deck, but I've been thinking about switching them to get more weight closer to the center of the bike.

        ~Jennifer

        On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 4:50 AM, isaknchris <isaknchris@...> wrote:

        Hi,all:
        Just wanted to share a little plug for the Xtracycle that was written about our family. The Xtracycle picture appeared in the paper version, but for some odd reason, did not make the online version. Nevertheless, thought it might interest some to see what a frumpy ol' mom in Roanoke, VA is doing.

        http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/210508

        Cheers, and happy riding.
        Chris
        PS: check out the blog on roanokecarfreewithkids.wordpress.com

      • christine howell
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 3, 2009
          Hi, Jennifer,
          We had an inexpensive BELL brand kid seat and cut the legs off with a mini-saw and then mounted it to the snap deck with 3 bolts.  I can remove the snapdeck, and I have another snapdeck with a magic carpet for single kid/adult riding (My husband and I have taken it out on dates.)  Additionally, Ron Hanson of Maryland is making me a custom 2 seater called the Roundabout for $150.  It's pricey, but it is it's own snapdeck too and more stability for the older child.  We'll see how that rides.  So, lots of options.  I definitely prefer having the heavier of the two on the front end of the snapdeck.
          Thanks for reading!
          Chris

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 3, 2009
            I did roughly the same thing with my Co-Pilot Taxi seat though I mounted right behind the saddle so
            I didn't have to cut off the legs. I was a bit worried about destroying our only seat with an
            experiment. It worked out really well even though my daughter seems to ride pretty close to my
            backside. I actually used a 1/2" piece of wood plank cut to exactly the same width as the rack the
            co-pilot seat was intended to mount to. Then I drilled 4 holes thru the seat, the wood plank and the
            snap deck and bolted them all together

            Chris, how does your X ride with just one child so far back on the bike? Any xtra wiggly action when
            you don't have other cargo?

            My longer term plan is to build a snapdeck with two co-pilot seats that I can swap in/out with a
            stock snapdeck. When I get to this I will be cutting the legs off the seats so they can be mounted a
            little further back. My only worry is that snapdeck hooks might not be enough to keep the whole
            things attached to the v-racks. Is anyone adding other reinforcement to their child-rigs to deal
            with this?

            The custom Roundabout sounds really interesting, will it be entirely made of wood? Any idea how much
            it will weigh?

            Hooray for the kid-capacity of the xtracycle!

            -Bill

            --
            -=| Bill Swingle - unfurl@...
          • watrout
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 6, 2009
              I have a homemade double kid seat that I use on my X. I ordered an extra set of snapdeck hooks and just swap out between the seat and snapdeck depending on what I'm doing. I was orginally concerned about the hooks not being strong enough so for a while I was running an extra strap hooking the seat to the v racks, but the main safety feature I use is 2 small straps (1 in front and 1 behind the snapdeck) that keep the 2 v racks strapped together. This seems to keep things very secure and I have since stopped using the extra seat strap.