Re: [rootsradicals] Re: Catastrophic failure!

  • Matt Gitchell
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 2, 2009
      Yeah I can vouch for the whatchamacollars. My deck used to fall off the Dummy all the time, but with those things on, hasn't happened once. I got 4; spendy but ultimately worth it.

      --Matt

      On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 7:13 AM, anthony_coley <anthony_coley@...> wrote:

      Hi Scott,

      That's pretty scarry! Glad your kids where already dropped off..

      I too have a custom tandem kid seat setup with front/rear Whatchamacollars and straps under each seat that secures the deck to the V-rack. This is a good setup and I'm confident the deck isn't going anywhere..

      Here's a pic of my setup:

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/xtracycle/3379797981/

      If you look close you can see the two blue straps.

      Regards,
      AC
      Huntington Beach, CA

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "dianedouglas8" <diane.douglas8@...> wrote:

      > On my way into the office this morning (after I had dropped off the kids), my custom double kid seat snapdeck replacement ejected itself off my BD's back end after I hit a sizeable bump at moderately high speed on a downhill.
      >
      > It hit the pavement and broke into multiple pieces.
      >
      > For those of you out there with difficult-to-replace one-off kid seats, you can appreciate my dismay.
      >
      > I just hope that my Uncle will be willing to craft another.
      >
      > Scott
      > Washington, DC

    • Joseph Ford
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 2, 2009
        Anthony,
        I noticed your modified kickback in the pic. How's it working for you?

        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "anthony_coley" <anthony_coley@...> wrote:

        > Hi Scott,
        >
        > That's pretty scarry! Glad your kids where already dropped off..
        >
        > I too have a custom tandem kid seat setup with front/rear Whatchamacollars and straps under each seat that secures the deck to the V-rack. This is a good setup and I'm confident the deck isn't going anywhere..
        >
        > Here's a pic of my setup:
        >
        > http://www.flickr.com/photos/xtracycle/3379797981/
        >
        > If you look close you can see the two blue straps.
        >

        > Regards,
        > AC
        > Huntington Beach, CA

      • Anthony E. Coley
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 3, 2009
          Hi Tom,

          My Kickback is awesome and super sturdy.

          There are more pics on Xtracycle's flickr.  This link should have them all:

          The right side hits the curb every once in a while when I roll up to hit the walk button, but it's no big deal.  Really, it's my own version of the 70's pimp curb feeler...
          My Dummy is probably 90% kid hauler and they like to rock the Dummy side to side, so this mod was essential and super easy.

          Regards,
          AC
        • Joseph Ford
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 3, 2009
            I'm glad you got a nice sturdy setup. I'll probably need to do something like that. I was really excited when I first got my kickback. I wasn't so excited the first time I tried to put a heavy load on my Dummy and it fell right over. Fortunately my daughter was not on my bike at the time.

            --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony E. Coley" <anthony_coley@...> wrote:

            > Hi Tom,
            >
            > My Kickback is awesome and super sturdy.
            >
            > There are more pics on Xtracycle's flickr. This link should have them all:
            >
            > http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=KickBack%20Mod%3A%20Anthony%20Coley&w=all&s=int
            >
            > The right side hits the curb every once in a while when I roll up to hit the walk button, but it's no big deal. Really, it's my own version of the 70's pimp curb feeler...
            > My Dummy is probably 90% kid hauler and they like to rock the Dummy side to side, so this mod was essential and super easy.
            >
            > Regards,
            > AC

          • dianedouglas8
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 6, 2009
              Anthony,

              Thanks for the concern.

              I like your custom snapdeck--did you find a couple of cheapie kid seats to use? I've got a nice Topeak Baby Seat that will still work to ferry the kid on my short bike. I'm currently unwilling to part with that--I'm instead going to commission another double wooden seat (or just try to fix the one I've got).

              What's a big bummer, is that we're headed on vacation (beach in NC) in five days. I planned on taking the BD (to show it off to the family), but we're going to have to work something else out to carry my younger boy on the snapdeck. Perhaps one of his cousins will agree to ride behind him at all times to help him stay on.

              Warmest regards,

              Scott

              P.S. nice mod to the kickback!
              --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "anthony_coley" <anthony_coley@...> wrote:

              > Hi Scott,
              >
              > That's pretty scarry! Glad your kids where already dropped off..
              >
              > I too have a custom tandem kid seat setup with front/rear Whatchamacollars and straps under each seat that secures the deck to the V-rack. This is a good setup and I'm confident the deck isn't going anywhere..
              >
              > Here's a pic of my setup:
              >
              > http://www.flickr.com/photos/xtracycle/3379797981/
              >
              > If you look close you can see the two blue straps.
              >

              > Regards,
              > AC
              > Huntington Beach, CA
              >

              > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "dianedouglas8" <diane.douglas8@> wrote:
              > >
              > > On my way into the office this morning (after I had dropped off the kids), my custom double kid seat snapdeck replacement ejected itself off my BD's back end after I hit a sizeable bump at moderately high speed on a downhill.
              > >
              > > It hit the pavement and broke into multiple pieces.
              > >
              > > For those of you out there with difficult-to-replace one-off kid seats, you can appreciate my dismay.
              > >
              > > I just hope that my Uncle will be willing to craft another.
              > >
              > > Scott
              > > Washington, DC

            • anthony_coley
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 6, 2009
                Hi,

                Yes, I bought the cheapest seats I could find in case it didn't work out like I anticipated, but it worked out really well, so I just kept them installed. Too bad on your trip! The BD is the ticket at the beach. I live in Huntington Beach CA and use it all the time for the beach and parks.. Not sure how we got around with out...

                Regards,
                AC