RE: [rootsradicals] Big Dummy roof racks

    Message 1 of 34 , Jul 1, 2009

      Fred,

                  You said, “if you buy 2 cores you can secure it to the rack.” From my understanding when a bike is loaded on the Rocky-Mount tray and a single locking core is locked on the quick-release, then it secures both the bike to the tray and the tray to your roof rack. Therefore, when you remove your bike and lock your single quick-release lock, your bike tray becomes locked to your roof rack. The reason for my understanding on it being this way is because on the PitchFork Rack product page of the RockyMounts on-line store it reads:

                  “Note on Locks: The PitchFork has a novel locking feature. You can buy 1 lock that will lock the QR handle in place to secure the bike to the rack and the rack to the car. There is also an area for a second lock on the head. If you buy a second lock core, the rack will ALWAYS be locked to the car. You will not have to relock the QR after removing the bike. All the other fork mounts on the market require the user to manually lock the QR after every use to secure the rack to the car. If you buy a second lock core for the PitchFork, you never have to hassle with it.”

                  Below is the actual link to the page I am quoting from. You might notice the URL does not contain “RockyMounts.com” in it, but when a RockyMounts.com visitor clicks on the “Shop Online” tab on their site, a visitor is then directed to another server, which handles their on-line orders. http://fyva5.qes5w.servertrust.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=91

                  This leads me to believe you either have a PitchFork rack, which can utilize two locks, because the RockyMount recumbent/Xtracycle roof rack is just their Lariat SL rack with a longer 60” tray. Is this the case or is there something I do not understand correctly?

      Santiago,

                  You brought up the RockyMount Tandem bike rack. It looks pretty cool considering its front-fork hitch can pivot to the side for “one-wheeled” loading from the ground. However, I would imagine one of the restrictions to this feature would be having a vehicle with a higher roof, like in a minivan or SUV… unless you are able to load the bike onto the vehicle along side a loading dock or other higher-ground. In my own case I would think our recently bought Rav4 might have too high of a roof to use the RockyMount tandem rack effectively. I still think the feature is really innovative though, but the $300+ price tag makes it another thing I think is too high besides our roof. J

      Everyone,

                  I know this a crazy idea, but has anyone ever tried loading an Xtracycle/Big Dummy equipped with a Tray-bien (or similar rack) onto a car roof rack… THEN went on to load a standard bike onto the Tray-bien? I am just wondering if a person, who likes to haul other bikes on their Big Dummy and only has one Xtracycle-length roof rack on their car, can save some money by not buying a second roof rack for their car. J

                  Ride safe everyone,

      _TONE_

    • Andrew Kreps
      Message 34 of 34 , Jul 8, 2009
        On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 9:01 AM, Tone<tone@...> wrote:
        >             Sorry for my inattention, and thank you for providing those
        > measurements! My follow up question equating your “room to spare” to an
        > extra 1/16” in both dimensions still stands though.

        No worries. I'm sure your bar will be fine. My
        eyeball-on-the-measuring-tape method could easily be off by 1/16th
        anyhow. :)