Catastrophic failure!

  • dianedouglas8
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 1, 2009
      On my way into the office this morning (after I had dropped off the kids), my custom double kid seat snapdeck replacement ejected itself off my BD's back end after I hit a sizeable bump at moderately high speed on a downhill.

      It hit the pavement and broke into multiple pieces.

      For those of you out there with difficult-to-replace one-off kid seats, you can appreciate my dismay.

      I just hope that my Uncle will be willing to craft another.

      Scott
      Washington, DC
    • Rick | Xtracycle, Inc
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 1, 2009
        Ahhh, no, Scott!

        This is just a very serious reminder to fully secure your custom kid seats to your V-racks/FreeRadical frames.

        Thankfully your boys weren't strapped in, sorry about the damage.

        Rick

        --
        graphic structuralist | rick@...
        888 537 1401 x709 | the original longtail company
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 1, 2009
          Rick,

          Thanks for your concern.

          Since the boys were not in their seats at the time, their added weight was not holding the seat tightly down.

          I will sheepishly admit that I was going pretty fast down Capitol Hill when I hit that bump...

          Ride safely, everyone!

          Scott

          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 1, 2009

            Scott,

                        Having the extra weight of a passenger does not necessarily mean the snap deck will remain in place when hitting a bump!

                         When I was still living in Brooklyn, NY one night my girlfriend and I went out to dinner in Manhattan and we biked back to our place in Brooklyn with her as a passenger on the snap-deck. On the Manhattan Bridge bike path there are two spots, which are down-slope from the middle peak of the bridge around where the towers of the bridge are located. Those spots have splits in the bridge to allow for expansion and contraction from weight/temperature stresses. Over the expansion gaps there are thick metal plates about a foot and a half wide to cover the split.

                        Well, we had gone over the middle peak of the bridge and built up a little speed from the distance between the higher middle peak of the bridge and the Brooklyn-side tower. No one else was along the bike path ahead of us, so I did not mind going that fast. I knew about the bump from the plate coming up, but I did not think it would be an issue considering most of the time I go much faster without a passenger. When we hit the bump my girlfriend bounced a bit and the snap-deck actually popped out of its position. I immediately came to a controlled stop and my girlfriend dismounted for me to reattach the snap-deck. Needless to say she had quite a scare and before we stopped she had actually let go with one of her hands to hold onto the snap deck itself to prevent it from shifting much more beneath her.

                        Before that incident I had hit some hard bumps and jumped off curbs, which occasionally caused the snap-deck to bounce off, but I always attributed it to my own reckless biking at the time. However, after the snap-deck bounced off with my girlfriend on it, I then attached two cinching buckled nylon straps at the front and rear of the snap deck, which wrapped around the top of the snap deck and under the rail-tubes beneath the snap-deck. Ever since then the snap-deck has never came off and the forward strap provides an extra gripping spot for the passenger other than the stoker bars I installed later.

                        So Scott, you should feel lucky you discovered the issue without your children as passengers! I know a number of people have mentioned snap-deck dislocation issues before on this RootsRadicals mailing list, and that is one of the many things I wish I had been able to read before I discovered it for myself the hard way. That is one of the reasons I read every post on this list. You never know when someone might include a sweet tid-bit of extremely useful real-world knowledge in a post with a less-desirable subject line. Of course I was one of the first New Yorkers with an Xtracycle, so I did not have the fortune of being able to read a snap-deck failure post on the RootsRadicals list because back then not many users had encountered the problem.

                        From my understanding this snap-deck failure is one of the primary reasons the great folks at Xtracycle developed the Wha-cha-ma-collars. Not only do the collars help deter theft by securing the Freeloader racks on the FreeRadical as well as prevent moisture from running down into the rust-prone steel tubing of the FreeRadical, but they also retain the Freeloader racks in a rigid position. That of course helps prevent flex in the rack mounts, which wards off the possibility of the snap deck popping off. The Xtracycle crew is always innovating great functional and practical products for us to use.

                        Ride safe everyone,

            _TONE_

          • anthony_coley
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 2, 2009
              Hi Scott,

              That's pretty scarry! Glad your kids where already dropped off..

              I too have a custom tandem kid seat setup with front/rear Whatchamacollars and straps under each seat that secures the deck to the V-rack. This is a good setup and I'm confident the deck isn't going anywhere..

              Here's a pic of my setup:

              http://www.flickr.com/photos/xtracycle/3379797981/

              If you look close you can see the two blue straps.

              Regards,
              AC
              Huntington Beach, CA

              --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "dianedouglas8" <diane.douglas8@...> wrote:

              > On my way into the office this morning (after I had dropped off the kids), my custom double kid seat snapdeck replacement ejected itself off my BD's back end after I hit a sizeable bump at moderately high speed on a downhill.
              >
              > It hit the pavement and broke into multiple pieces.
              >
              > For those of you out there with difficult-to-replace one-off kid seats, you can appreciate my dismay.
              >
              > I just hope that my Uncle will be willing to craft another.
              >
              > Scott
              > Washington, DC

            • Matt Gitchell
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 2, 2009
                Yeah I can vouch for the whatchamacollars. My deck used to fall off the Dummy all the time, but with those things on, hasn't happened once. I got 4; spendy but ultimately worth it.

                --Matt

                On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 7:13 AM, anthony_coley <anthony_coley@...> wrote:

                Hi Scott,

                That's pretty scarry! Glad your kids where already dropped off..

                I too have a custom tandem kid seat setup with front/rear Whatchamacollars and straps under each seat that secures the deck to the V-rack. This is a good setup and I'm confident the deck isn't going anywhere..

                Here's a pic of my setup:

                http://www.flickr.com/photos/xtracycle/3379797981/

                If you look close you can see the two blue straps.

                Regards,
                AC
                Huntington Beach, CA

                --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "dianedouglas8" <diane.douglas8@...> wrote:

                > On my way into the office this morning (after I had dropped off the kids), my custom double kid seat snapdeck replacement ejected itself off my BD's back end after I hit a sizeable bump at moderately high speed on a downhill.
                >
                > It hit the pavement and broke into multiple pieces.
                >
                > For those of you out there with difficult-to-replace one-off kid seats, you can appreciate my dismay.
                >
                > I just hope that my Uncle will be willing to craft another.
                >
                > Scott
                > Washington, DC

              • Joseph Ford
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 2, 2009
                  Anthony,
                  I noticed your modified kickback in the pic. How's it working for you?

                  --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "anthony_coley" <anthony_coley@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Scott,
                  >
                  > That's pretty scarry! Glad your kids where already dropped off..
                  >
                  > I too have a custom tandem kid seat setup with front/rear Whatchamacollars and straps under each seat that secures the deck to the V-rack. This is a good setup and I'm confident the deck isn't going anywhere..
                  >
                  > Here's a pic of my setup:
                  >
                  > http://www.flickr.com/photos/xtracycle/3379797981/
                  >
                  > If you look close you can see the two blue straps.
                  >

                  > Regards,
                  > AC
                  > Huntington Beach, CA

                • Anthony E. Coley
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 3, 2009
                    Hi Tom,

                    My Kickback is awesome and super sturdy.

                    There are more pics on Xtracycle's flickr.  This link should have them all:

                    The right side hits the curb every once in a while when I roll up to hit the walk button, but it's no big deal.  Really, it's my own version of the 70's pimp curb feeler...
                    My Dummy is probably 90% kid hauler and they like to rock the Dummy side to side, so this mod was essential and super easy.

                    Regards,
                    AC
                  • Joseph Ford
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 3, 2009
                      I'm glad you got a nice sturdy setup. I'll probably need to do something like that. I was really excited when I first got my kickback. I wasn't so excited the first time I tried to put a heavy load on my Dummy and it fell right over. Fortunately my daughter was not on my bike at the time.

                      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony E. Coley" <anthony_coley@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Tom,
                      >
                      > My Kickback is awesome and super sturdy.
                      >
                      > There are more pics on Xtracycle's flickr. This link should have them all:
                      >
                      > http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=KickBack%20Mod%3A%20Anthony%20Coley&w=all&s=int
                      >
                      > The right side hits the curb every once in a while when I roll up to hit the walk button, but it's no big deal. Really, it's my own version of the 70's pimp curb feeler...
                      > My Dummy is probably 90% kid hauler and they like to rock the Dummy side to side, so this mod was essential and super easy.
                      >
                      > Regards,
                      > AC

                    • dianedouglas8
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 6, 2009
                        Anthony,

                        Thanks for the concern.

                        I like your custom snapdeck--did you find a couple of cheapie kid seats to use? I've got a nice Topeak Baby Seat that will still work to ferry the kid on my short bike. I'm currently unwilling to part with that--I'm instead going to commission another double wooden seat (or just try to fix the one I've got).

                        What's a big bummer, is that we're headed on vacation (beach in NC) in five days. I planned on taking the BD (to show it off to the family), but we're going to have to work something else out to carry my younger boy on the snapdeck. Perhaps one of his cousins will agree to ride behind him at all times to help him stay on.

                        Warmest regards,

                        Scott

                        P.S. nice mod to the kickback!
                        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "anthony_coley" <anthony_coley@...> wrote:

                        > Hi Scott,
                        >
                        > That's pretty scarry! Glad your kids where already dropped off..
                        >
                        > I too have a custom tandem kid seat setup with front/rear Whatchamacollars and straps under each seat that secures the deck to the V-rack. This is a good setup and I'm confident the deck isn't going anywhere..
                        >
                        > Here's a pic of my setup:
                        >
                        > http://www.flickr.com/photos/xtracycle/3379797981/
                        >
                        > If you look close you can see the two blue straps.
                        >

                        > Regards,
                        > AC
                        > Huntington Beach, CA
                        >

                        > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "dianedouglas8" <diane.douglas8@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > On my way into the office this morning (after I had dropped off the kids), my custom double kid seat snapdeck replacement ejected itself off my BD's back end after I hit a sizeable bump at moderately high speed on a downhill.
                        > >
                        > > It hit the pavement and broke into multiple pieces.
                        > >
                        > > For those of you out there with difficult-to-replace one-off kid seats, you can appreciate my dismay.
                        > >
                        > > I just hope that my Uncle will be willing to craft another.
                        > >
                        > > Scott
                        > > Washington, DC

                      • anthony_coley
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 6, 2009
                          Hi,

                          Yes, I bought the cheapest seats I could find in case it didn't work out like I anticipated, but it worked out really well, so I just kept them installed. Too bad on your trip! The BD is the ticket at the beach. I live in Huntington Beach CA and use it all the time for the beach and parks.. Not sure how we got around with out...

                          Regards,
                          AC