Re: [rootsradicals] Big Dummy roof racks

  • Joe Kisley
    Message 1 of 34 , Jul 1, 2009
      Here's a pic of mine...
      ... on a normal length Thule bike tray. As you can see, it doesn't fit. I rested the rear wheel on the factory luggage rack and secured it with a couple toe straps. It made it on a 40 mile drive just fine.

      Joe Kisley

      On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 6:09 AM, Santiago Oleas <soleas@...> wrote:

      I have several Rocky Mounts bike racks and last year I shelled out the big bucks for their Tandem Rack (~$300, I believe).  The benefit that the tandem rack offers, besides the extra long tray, is the fact that the QR pivots to the side allowing you to hook the fork onto the rack while the rear wheel is on the ground.  This then allows you the ability to swing up the bike onto the rack.  The RockyMounts web site shows some pics of this.  http://rockymounts.com/tandem

      In retrospect i don't think the tandem rack is necessary.  RockyMounts sells a recumbent rack, which also has the extra length, for something like $85.  You'll find it on their online store.  It is buried somewhere on their main page but I know the online store mentions it.  http://fyva5.qes5w.servertrust.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=69  You can purchase lock cores to put into the QR, a feature that their tandem rack does not have, for an extra $10.

      I have never had any problems with my disc brakes but my Big Dummy sits on the tandem rack and my mountain bike sits on a regular EuroLariat but it is a shorter bike.

      I was only able to find one picture of the Big Dummy on the rack taken on last year's road trip to Cape Cod.  I placed it on the same photo album that Carl Mears created.  It's a little hard to see because it's behind my wife's and girls' bikes but you can compare the length needed compared to a 700cc bike, a 20"-wheeled bike and (for bonus!) a 12"-wheeled bike.  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rootsradicals/photos/album/708072927/pic/list

      I also took off the rear bars and bags and it made it much, much easier to lift onto the car.  On previous short trips I hadn't bothered and I found it very hard to lift it up.

    • Andrew Kreps
      Message 34 of 34 , Jul 8, 2009
        On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 9:01 AM, Tone<tone@...> wrote:
        >             Sorry for my inattention, and thank you for providing those
        > measurements! My follow up question equating your “room to spare” to an
        > extra 1/16” in both dimensions still stands though.

        No worries. I'm sure your bar will be fine. My
        eyeball-on-the-measuring-tape method could easily be off by 1/16th
        anyhow. :)