Re: [rootsradicals] Big Dummy roof racks

  • Carl Mears
    Message 1 of 34 , Jun 30, 2009

      Hi all

      I put 2 pictures of my roof rack kludge on the group site --

      I cut the tray and used some hardware-store 3/4 inch square extruded aluminum to extend
      it so that it is long enough for the X.  I used 3 1/4 inch bolts for each end of the
      aluminum.  It ended up a bit floppy in the up and down direction, so I cut a piece
      of wood that sits under the kickstand plate and takes the weight -- with the wood
      block in place the force is *upward* on the rear wheel tray with the strap cinched down,
      so the tray is just providing side-to-side stability.  There is a hole in the wood that the
      kickstand bolt sits in to keep the block from moving around.  You might not have to do
      this if your roofline is longer than mine, or if you use steel instead of aluminum for the
      extendo bar.

      If I had to do it again, I would use a piece of steel.

      Total additional cost was about $9, since I already had the tray.  A "wheelbase-challenged"
      bike still fits.

      I now have disc brakes.  There is a bit of a clearance problem.  My plan is to
      cut a notch out of the tray to accommodate the disc caliper, but I haven't
      done it yet.   There is also *almost* a clearance problem with the front fender.

      Hope this helps someone.

      -CarlM

      p.s. it is pain, but not impossible to put the X up on the roof.  For short distances, I leave
      everything (freeloaders, super cushy snapdeck, etc) on, and I can still get it up there by
      myself.

    • Andrew Kreps
      Message 34 of 34 , Jul 8, 2009
        On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 9:01 AM, Tone<tone@...> wrote:
        >             Sorry for my inattention, and thank you for providing those
        > measurements! My follow up question equating your “room to spare” to an
        > extra 1/16” in both dimensions still stands though.

        No worries. I'm sure your bar will be fine. My
        eyeball-on-the-measuring-tape method could easily be off by 1/16th
        anyhow. :)