4th of July Float Ideas?

  • msdudley19
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 28, 2009
      I have the opportunity to be in a bike parade on the 4th of July. I'm
      thinking that I need to ride my xtracycle.

      If you have any great ideas about dressing it up in a witty way, I'd
      love them. I'm trying to brainstorm something political/patriotic that
      would require an xtracycle's help. Or maybe a play on words. Subtlety
      is totally okay too. I'm excited to be in the parade but obviously want
      the xtracycle to be the talk of the town.

      I'm in liberal Silicon Valley, if that helps narrow (or broaden) ideas.
    • Jennifer Logan

        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 29, 2009
          On Sun, Jun 28, 2009 at 10:01 PM, msdudley19<mkdudley@...> wrote:
          > I have the opportunity to be in a bike parade on the 4th of July.  I'm
          > thinking that I need to ride my xtracycle.
          >
          > If you have any great ideas about dressing it up in a witty way, I'd
          > love them.

          I dressed the Big Dummy up as a cruise ship for last year's Worst Day
          of the Year ride. For a 7/4 parade, I think I'd start with the
          largest american flag I could find, and strap a flagpole to the back
          of the bike. Then have your passenger light + toss some fireworks
          from the back seat. :)
        • jparks781
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 30, 2009
            Sounds like fun, I just read today's Yehuda Moon strip, and the "Free Range Vehicle" slogan seems to be appropriate if you want a sign / slogan.

            http://www.yehudamoon.com/index.php?date=2009-06-30

            Of course, it is a _cargo_ bike, so you might consider "dressing it up" with some cargo. Like dog food, kitty litter, case(s) of beer, landscaping equipment, beach umbrella+folding chairs+beach buckets and shovels+picnic basket+cooler, kids in soccer uniforms, <insert your favorite cargo here>. From personal experience, I'd advise leaving the longer cargo like kayaks and ladders at home, since turning space and front/rear clearance is always at a premium on parade day.

            Have a blast and send pictures

            Joel

            --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "msdudley19" <mkdudley@...> wrote:

            > I have the opportunity to be in a bike parade on the 4th of July. I'm
            > thinking that I need to ride my xtracycle.
            >
            > If you have any great ideas about dressing it up in a witty way, I'd
            > love them. I'm trying to brainstorm something political/patriotic that
            > would require an xtracycle's help. Or maybe a play on words. Subtlety
            > is totally okay too. I'm excited to be in the parade but obviously want
            > the xtracycle to be the talk of the town.
            >
            > I'm in liberal Silicon Valley, if that helps narrow (or broaden) ideas.

          • Drew
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 1 1:28 AM
              For some reason, the only thing that comes to mind
              is Star Wars themed. Like an X Wing Fighter, or one of those land speeder cycles when they were in the forest with the Ewoks. Not patriotic or Political really, but it could be fun.
              Or you could always tie a bunch to toy cars to the back like you go married.
              The sign could read "Just divorced.....from my car". OK, that's enough with the cheesy ideas for now. Gnite all.
              I remain Drew.

              Sounds like fun, I just read today's Yehuda Moon strip, and the "Free Range Vehicle" slogan seems to be appropriate if you want a sign / slogan.

              http://www.yehudamo on.com/index. php?date= 2009-06-30

              Of course, it is a _cargo_ bike, so you might consider "dressing it up" with some cargo. Like dog food, kitty litter, case(s) of beer, landscaping equipment, beach umbrella+folding chairs+beach buckets and shovels+picnic basket+cooler, kids in soccer uniforms, <insert your favorite cargo here>. From personal experience, I'd advise leaving the longer cargo like kayaks and ladders at home, since turning space and front/rear clearance is always at a premium on parade day.

              Have a blast and send pictures

              Joel

              --- In rootsradicals@ yahoogroups. com, "msdudley19" <mkdudley@.. .> wrote:

              > I have the opportunity to be in a bike parade on the 4th of July. I'm
              > thinking that I need to ride my xtracycle.
              >
              > If you have any great ideas about dressing it up in a witty way, I'd
              > love them. I'm trying to brainstorm something political/patriotic that
              > would require an xtracycle's help. Or maybe a play on words. Subtlety
              > is totally okay too. I'm excited to be in the parade but obviously want
              > the xtracycle to be the talk of the town.
              >
              > I'm in liberal Silicon Valley, if that helps narrow (or broaden) ideas.

            • Mark Garvey

                --
                Family FUN!.....with a twist!

                Papa Balloon
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 1 12:08 PM

                              I used to be really into making “thorough” costumes for Halloween, but then I started organizing my annual Cranksgiving charity bike race, which runs the Saturday before Thanksgiving. The preparation and promotion for that limited my time for any extensive Halloween costume creation, so I kind of let Halloween antics vanish. In any case, back when the 20th (or was it the 25th) anniversary of the movie TRON came around (I majored in computer animation if that helps explain my interest in the movie) I thought I would morph my Xtracycle into a Light-Cycle with some corrugated plastic sheeting appropriately attached to the bike along with either glow-necklaces or L-wire for those “electric circuit” accents. Of course I would also wear some tight bodysuit with more glowing lines all over it and carrying a glowing Frisbee on my back etc.

                              Well, that costume and bike set up was one of those ideas that fell to way side while preparing for Cranksgiving. It still left me thinking about other bike-related costumes, etc. Another one I thought of was turning my Xtracycle into a seagull using corrugated plastic. A tail would extend beyond the rear step while the head would surround the front wheel. When turning the bike the head of the seagull would turn as well, which mimics the way some birds fly. Also, the wings of the seagull would extend to the sides off of the wide-loaders with them acting as some kind of hinge. I would somehow attach the wings to my ankles/knees/calves with straps, which would cause the wings to flap whenever I pedaled. The whole idea was obviously to make it look like I was riding a giant seagull.

                              Once again I never built the seagull rider costume either, but this does bring me to think of something suitable for an Xtracycle in a July 4th parade. Instead of a seagull, what about making an X or Big Dummy into a Bald Eagle… the national bird, a symbol of freedom, and a well known endangered species (Nationally I believe they removed it from the list, but I know some states still have it on their own endangered species lists). It is patriotic for July 4th, it embodies freedom as in freedom from cars, and it connects people’s minds to environmental issues. That has to be a winner for an Xtracycle/BD July 4th parade float idea! J

                              Ride safe whatever you decide to parade as.