surly karate monkey

  • Derek
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 27, 2007
      Photos of my rideable but not yet finished karate monkey up!

      check em out :)

      http://www.bikerubbish.com/xtracycle4/
    • Joseph Kisley
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 27, 2007
        Hey Derek,

        Your XtraMonkey looks great! I have mine mounted on a
        Gary Fisher 29er at the moment. Where did you place
        the tounge of the Freeradical? Above the top chainstay
        clamp plates, or between them? I'm using 2 plates,
        since I don't have a chainstay bridge, and I mounted
        the tounge on top of the upper plate, but the chain
        gets pretty close to the bikes chainstay. I may just
        move the tounge to sit between the clampss with some
        spacers to take up the extra space, but it'll drop the
        bottom bracket a little.

        Joe, waithing for the Big Dummy, in Iowa

        --- Derek <derekjpearson@...> wrote:

        > Photos of my rideable but not yet finished karate
        > monkey up!
        >
        > check em out :)
        >
        > http://www.bikerubbish.com/xtracycle4/

        “be the change you want to see in the world” Mahatma Ghandi

        http://new.mail.yahoo.com
      • johnstanec
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 27, 2007
          I also built my xtra cycle on a Surly Karate Monkey, and it works like a dream. Since the K-
          monkey doesn't have a chainstay bridge I had to fashion one from a pair of 1/4" steel
          plates. After a little welding and some grinding, it made for an incredibly stable
          connection.

          The front fender attachment utlilzes about 4 inches of an old broomstick which tapped
          perfectly into the front fork.

          Bottom line - for about $300 for a new K-monkey frame and fork, plus miscellaneous
          components, it's a great deal!

          Cheers!

          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Kisley <josephkisley@...> wrote:

          > Hey Derek,
          >
          > Your XtraMonkey looks great! I have mine mounted on a
          > Gary Fisher 29er at the moment. Where did you place
          > the tounge of the Freeradical? Above the top chainstay
          > clamp plates, or between them? I'm using 2 plates,
          > since I don't have a chainstay bridge, and I mounted
          > the tounge on top of the upper plate, but the chain
          > gets pretty close to the bikes chainstay. I may just
          > move the tounge to sit between the clampss with some
          > spacers to take up the extra space, but it'll drop the
          > bottom bracket a little.
          >
          > Joe, waithing for the Big Dummy, in Iowa
          >

          > --- Derek <derekjpearson@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Photos of my rideable but not yet finished karate
          > > monkey up!
          > >
          > > check em out :)
          > >
          > > http://www.bikerubbish.com/xtracycle4/
          > >

          > "be the change you want to see in the world" Mahatma Ghandi

          > http://new.mail.yahoo.com

        • Derek
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 27, 2007
            I've got the 2 plate setup also :) I'll take some photos tomorrow!

            wrote:

            > Hey Derek,
            >
            > Your XtraMonkey looks great! I have mine mounted on a
            > Gary Fisher 29er at the moment. Where did you place
            > the tounge of the Freeradical? Above the top chainstay
            > clamp plates, or between them? I'm using 2 plates,
            > since I don't have a chainstay bridge, and I mounted
            > the tounge on top of the upper plate, but the chain
            > gets pretty close to the bikes chainstay. I may just
            > move the tounge to sit between the clampss with some
            > spacers to take up the extra space, but it'll drop the
            > bottom bracket a little.
            >
            > Joe, waithing for the Big Dummy, in Iowa
            >

            > --- Derek <derekjpearson@...> wrote:
            >
            > > Photos of my rideable but not yet finished karate
            > > monkey up!
            > >
            > > check em out :)
            > >
            > > http://www.bikerubbish.com/xtracycle4/
            > >

            > "be the change you want to see in the world" Mahatma Ghandi

            > http://new.mail.yahoo.com

          • Joseph Kisley
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 27, 2007
              Love the chainstay clamp! I'm using the ones from Xtracycle, and on a 29er frame, they're almost too narrow. I should grab some flat steel at work and fabricate some a little wider.

              Joe
              http://ninemileskid.blogspot.com/

              http://ph.groups. yahoo.com/ group/rootsradic als/photos/ browse/b036