Re: Custom snapdecks

  • Tracy
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 25, 2009
      those are lovely, thanks for the link!

      tracy

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "wildehandyman01" <johnwilde@...> wrote:

      > Hey I was surfing the 'net (yet again) and I ran across this site:
      >
      > http://brandnameboards.com/Who_We_Are.html
      >
      > I thought other xtra-people (is that a word? must be I typed it)might be interested.
      > Peace and Blessings,
      > John

    • Steve Lange
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 26, 2009
        The decks are cool, but I'm mainly impressed that there are apparently enough Xtracycles out there now for an actual 3rd party aftermarket parts market to be developing! Congrats Xtracycle crew, this is great!

        On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 8:23 PM, Tracy <twrig1-2008@...> wrote:
        those are lovely, thanks for the link!

        tracy

        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "wildehandyman01" <johnwilde@...> wrote:

        > Hey I was surfing the 'net (yet again) and I ran across this site:
        >
        > http://brandnameboards.com/Who_We_Are.html
        >
        > I thought other xtra-people (is that a word? must be I typed it)might be interested.
        > Peace and Blessings,
        > John

        <*> Your email settings:
           Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
           (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:

           http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Travers, Neil
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 26, 2009
          Message
          Isn't one of their pictures of a Yuba, so perhaps their market is longtails generally. But still a valid point.
          The decks are cool, but I'm mainly impressed that there are apparently enough Xtracycles out there now for an actual 3rd party aftermarket parts market to be developing! Congrats Xtracycle crew, this is great!

          On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 8:23 PM, Tracy <twrig1-2008@...> wrote:
          those are lovely, thanks for the link!

          tracy

          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "wildehandyman01" <johnwilde@...> wrote:

          > Hey I was surfing the 'net (yet again) and I ran across this site:
          >
          > http://brandnameboards.com/Who_We_Are.html
          >
          > I thought other xtra-people (is that a word? must be I typed it)might be interested.
          > Peace and Blessings,
          > John

          <*> Your email settings:
             Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
             (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:

             http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Jeff Snavely
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 26, 2009
            Just because there's a website doesn't mean they're selling any.

            With no prices, and no easy way to buy, I can't imagine that they're flying off the shelf.

            On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 11:22 AM, Steve Lange <steve@...> wrote:

            The decks are cool, but I'm mainly impressed that there are apparently enough Xtracycles out there now for an actual 3rd party aftermarket parts market to be developing! Congrats Xtracycle crew, this is great!

            On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 8:23 PM, Tracy <twrig1-2008@...> wrote:
            those are lovely, thanks for the link!

            tracy

            --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "wildehandyman01" <johnwilde@...> wrote:

            > Hey I was surfing the 'net (yet again) and I ran across this site:
            >
            > http://brandnameboards.com/Who_We_Are.html
            >
            > I thought other xtra-people (is that a word? must be I typed it)might be interested.
            > Peace and Blessings,
            > John

            <*> Your email settings:
               Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
               (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:

               http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Philip Diaz
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 26, 2009
              right - i didn't see any available products on their site or ebay store.

              also, i'm wondering if a 3/4" thick (!) snap deck is necessary. it seems excessive.

              On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 9:38 AM, Jeff Snavely <jsnavely@...> wrote:

              Just because there's a website doesn't mean they're selling any.

              With no prices, and no easy way to buy, I can't imagine that they're flying off the shelf.

            • Philip Chase
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 26, 2009
                3/4" thickness is not necessary in a non-plywood snap deck. I just made myself one out of old-growth cypress and I planed the board down to about 3/8" thick. At that point it seemed very flexible so I stopped planing out of fear it would crack in use. Then came the magic: I glued 3 tapered reinforcements on the underside running across the grain. One was in the middle and the other two were at the snap pieces. The thing got *very* stiff with those in place. My kids have ridden on it with no damage yet. They prefer the cush of my padded factory snap deck, but the new one is quite sound.

                It's pretty too. The wood is orange and I put elliptical ends on it so it looks like a surfboard. Sorry I've not sent pictures yet. I can't even make amends now 'cause I'm out of town with no X. But I will send some when I get back in town.

                For my next trick I'm going make another deck and plane down to 3/16" thick. I'll probably add more reinforcements, but I hope to make an ultra light, ultra pretty snap deck. This one will be so thin I won't be able to use snap pieces. Instead I'm going to glue on two reinforcing pieces that have the profile and width to match the snap pieces. I think it will work but I doubt it could safely carry an adult. Kids might even be an issue, but goal is to have a deck that makes a good fender and provides a flat surface to cargo that needs one. Think pizza or cakes.

                Stay tuned. :-)

                Philip

                --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Philip Diaz <pxdiaz@...> wrote:

                > right - i didn't see any available products on their site or ebay store.
                >
                > also, i'm wondering if a 3/4" thick (!) snap deck is necessary. it seems
                > excessive.
              • Mark Garvey
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 27, 2009
                  I made one out of Cherry...Well, I made TWO out of Cherry and sent one to a friend.  I have been using it for over a year and it is still beautiful.  It is about 3/8 thick.  The finish was Tru Oil Gunstock finish by birchwood Casey.  It looks really great!  My OEM board is in my office.

                  unfortunately, I have not been able to ride this year as I would have liked. My business has picked up and that requires travel to more distant places than my bicycle allows, and carrying capacity the X does not have.  Drat!  I still love to ride it tho and it is the best bike I have ever owned!

                  Papa Balloon!

                  --
                  Family FUN!.....with a twist!

                  Papa Balloon
                • cortezhimself
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 27, 2009
                    --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "wildehandyman01" <johnwilde@...> wrote:

                    > Hey I was surfing the 'net (yet again) and I ran across this site:
                    >
                    > http://brandnameboards.com/Who_We_Are.html
                    >
                    > I thought other xtra-people (is that a word? must be I typed it)might be interested.
                    > Peace and Blessings,
                    > John

                    Hey everyone,

                    I'm the one that is building these Brand Name Boards, so I can probably answer some questions that yall have posted. The reason that I havnt had any of the decks up for sale is cause ive been spending all my free time with custom decks. *Power converter/inverters for cruise bikes, *electric grills and cutting boards recessed in the decks, and other totally random decks that i can make a little more money on. i am also putting together some prototypes for Yubas new frame. They are going to be offered with the bike new. I guess you could say that 3/4 inch is a little more than you need, but durability is what the x decks lack in the first place. weighing only about a half a pound, why does it matter? Less cupping and warping. Just a little more room for creativity. if you youtube brandnameboards you can see my new promo video that i havent posted on the sight. its not quite done.

                    Peace,
                    Clay Maselle
                  • David Dannenberg
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 27, 2009
                      I would love to see a full size thin aluminum or stainless snap deck
                      like the one Tekdek that Xtracycle makes. It is great, but smaller
                      than the regular snap deck. Really light and elegant though.