Re: [rootsradicals] Re: My free rad broke!!

  • Rick | Xtracycle, Inc
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 24, 2009
      Thanks for reminding me, Jim!

      Xtracycle is having a Summer Open House Potluck/BBQ Party.

      This Sunday, from 1-5PM @ XC World HQ - 1078 60th Street, Oakland, CA 94609.

      Please bring a beverage or food item, kids welcome, some fun events during the day, tours of XC HQ, see our newly painted/converted Airstream (Xtra-Aire) and just hang with great people.

      Wish I could go, but a wedding is pulling me away.

      Thanks and have a great rest of the week,

      Rick

      On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 2:45 PM, jday_xtracycle <jday@...> wrote:

      Hey there, it's Jim with the broken rad. First off let me give Rick at xtracycle a shout out, He replied to me and gave me the info to call the home office and they are going to replace the frame. I may actually be going up to Oakland for their open house this Sunday, and if so, we will take care of it then (no shipping, yippie). As to why it broke.., I have my theory. First let me say that I use my x quite a bit. It is my regular around town bike and I use it almost daily for commuting and shopping. Typical loads would be four bags of groceries, runs to the Farmer's Market, or a 12 year old. I have hauled a few items which might be pushing the load capacity, but not very often.

      Tone is correct that normally the forces on the tab would be downward and if the frame were overloaded you would expect to see the bottom of this weld failing, not the top. So when do these forces get reversed, with the free rad frame pushing up against the attachment point? The only time I can see this happening is when the free rad is up on the kick-back stand I installed in January. When I got the Kick-back I read the caution statements so I have been careful about not sitting on the x when it is up on the stand. But I have this sneaking feeling that all those trips to the store, when I was putting the loaded bike back up on the stand to empty, might have been enough to start the failure? Just a theory, and I as guessing that since other KB owners are not experiencing it also, it might have just been a problem with my frame.

      In any case, it looks like I will be on the road again soon, which is the most important thing of all!

      Jim