footsies and more

  • Phil Good-Elliott
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 7, 2006
      Hello, all. I'm considering buying an SUB FreeRadical and wondered if anyone has used the
      Footsie add-ons. I have a 6 y/o son who's a bit on the smallish side and his feet probably
      wouldn't reach down to the Footsies. I've also wondered if anyone's considered making an
      add-on handlebar attachment. I could see something that would attach to the seatpost,
      extend back and up from the seatpost and end in a smallish handlebar to allow for a
      secure grip for the passenger. I could see my kid holding on and feeling pretty secure,
      versus grabbing onto the snapdeck. He currently rides a trail-a-bike when I take him to
      Kindergarten.

      I now live about a mile from my work and commute by bike most days, even through our
      Northern Indiana winters. Before taking my new job in August of '05, I drove at least an
      hour's round trip for 14 years. I'm really ready to be done with car commuting.

      Thanks a bunch,
      Phil
    • Tom Ahearn
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 8, 2006
        Phil,

        I've got the Footsies on my Xtracycle, but my six year daughter
        (40lbs) cannot reach them yet so she rides in a PeaPod
        (http://www.xtracycle.com/product_info.php?cPath=1&products_id=73). I
        figure when she's too big for the PeaPod she'll be able to reach the
        Footsies.

        As for the handlebar attachment, there are several good examples in
        the Xtracycle galleries. Here's one for example:
        http://xtracycle.com/gallery/view_photo.php?set_albumName=public&id=stoker_bar_with_grips
        I really need to add one of these to my Xtracycle.

        I love taking my daughter to kindergarten on the Xtracycle. We both
        laugh at her classmates stuck in traffic in their SUVs.

        Tom Ahearn
        West Seattle

        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Phil Good-Elliott"
        <poppamando@...> wrote:

        > Hello, all. I'm considering buying an SUB FreeRadical and wondered
        if anyone has used the
        > Footsie add-ons. I have a 6 y/o son who's a bit on the smallish side
        and his feet probably
        > wouldn't reach down to the Footsies. I've also wondered if anyone's
        considered making an
        > add-on handlebar attachment. I could see something that would attach
        to the seatpost,
        > extend back and up from the seatpost and end in a smallish handlebar
        to allow for a
        > secure grip for the passenger. I could see my kid holding on and
        feeling pretty secure,
        > versus grabbing onto the snapdeck. He currently rides a trail-a-bike
        when I take him to
        > Kindergarten.
        >
        > I now live about a mile from my work and commute by bike most days,
        even through our
        > Northern Indiana winters. Before taking my new job in August of '05,
        I drove at least an
        > hour's round trip for 14 years. I'm really ready to be done with car
        commuting.

        > Thanks a bunch,
        > Phil

      • Christopher Palmer
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 8, 2006
          Hello all...I am Christopher Palmer. I'm a sculptor, arts educator, and
          100 other things in the SF Bay Area. I run a bike repair at Burning Man -
          http://www.borrachosybicicletas.org - and I co-run a free monthly bike
          clinic in Berkeley.

          I will be writing more soon, but I wanted to say hi, and tell folks how
          much I love my Xtra. I have installed some custom RGB LED light bars on
          the bottom, that rotate thru the entire rainbow slowly. I built an
          aluminum toolbox that fits under the snapdeck in front. It holds tools and
          spares, and a gel cell for the lighting. I installed a switch and charging
          jack on it, and the front of it holds a bottle cage.

          I have footsies for my daughter, and I used a threadless stem, and a piece
          of 1" EMT for her handlebar.

          I'll take pix of it all soon.

          see ya.
          CTP
        • Andrew Janjigian
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 8, 2006
            I have a clamp on threadless stem and a pair of grips on the seatpost of my XC/SM, but I was thinking about replacing it with one of these:

            Someone on the XC forum said it made a god grip, and it folds away when not in use. I was wondering if it would be sturdy enough for when I'm going 25mph or not, however. . .

            Andrew

            On Feb 7, 2006, at 7:23 PM, Phil Good-Elliott wrote:

[...]

            ride to believe.

            Konjac root Roots blower Ginseng root
            Root canal Root canal therapy Burdock root

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          • Ben Rosenthal

              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 8, 2006
                Tom, thanks for the reasonable suggestions, though we're on a tight budget, so I'm not
                sure the PeaPod is realistic for us. The "stoker bar" looks good, however. Any ideas about
                where to find one of those?

                Andrew, thanks for your suggestion, but I'm with Ben - it looks dangerous to use for a
                passenger grip.

                -Phil
                (if you're ever in Goshen, IN, check out our contra dancing at http://www.godancing.org/)

                --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Ahearn" <tahearn@...> wrote:

                > Phil,
                >
                > I've got the Footsies on my Xtracycle, but my six year daughter
                > (40lbs) cannot reach them yet so she rides in a PeaPod
                > (http://www.xtracycle.com/product_info.php?cPath=1&products_id=73). I
                > figure when she's too big for the PeaPod she'll be able to reach the
                > Footsies.
                >
                > As for the handlebar attachment, there are several good examples in
                > the Xtracycle galleries. Here's one for example:
                > http://xtracycle.com/gallery/view_photo.php?
                set_albumName=public&id=stoker_bar_with_grips
                > I really need to add one of these to my Xtracycle.
                >
                > I love taking my daughter to kindergarten on the Xtracycle. We both
                > laugh at her classmates stuck in traffic in their SUVs.
                >
                > Tom Ahearn
                > West Seattle
                >

                > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Phil Good-Elliott"
                > <poppamando@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hello, all. I'm considering buying an SUB FreeRadical and wondered
                > if anyone has used the
                > > Footsie add-ons. I have a 6 y/o son who's a bit on the smallish side
                > and his feet probably
                > > wouldn't reach down to the Footsies. I've also wondered if anyone's
                > considered making an
                > > add-on handlebar attachment. I could see something that would attach
                > to the seatpost,
                > > extend back and up from the seatpost and end in a smallish handlebar
                > to allow for a
                > > secure grip for the passenger. I could see my kid holding on and
                > feeling pretty secure,
                > > versus grabbing onto the snapdeck. He currently rides a trail-a-bike
                > when I take him to
                > > Kindergarten.
                > >
                > > I now live about a mile from my work and commute by bike most days,
                > even through our
                > > Northern Indiana winters. Before taking my new job in August of '05,
                > I drove at least an
                > > hour's round trip for 14 years. I'm really ready to be done with car
                > commuting.
                > >
                > > Thanks a bunch,
                > > Phil

              • Andrew Janjigian

                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 9, 2006
                    Phil,
                    Here are a couple of shots to look at. A tandem stoker
                    stem is probably going to be your best bet.

                    http://xtracycle.com/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=public&page=5

                    Drew
                    San Diego

                    --- Phil Good-Elliott <poppamando@...> wrote:

                    > Hello, all. I'm considering buying an SUB
                    > FreeRadical and wondered if anyone has used the
                    > Footsie add-ons. I have a 6 y/o son who's a bit on
                    > the smallish side and his feet probably
                    > wouldn't reach down to the Footsies. I've also
                    > wondered if anyone's considered making an
                    > add-on handlebar attachment. I could see something
                    > that would attach to the seatpost,
                    > extend back and up from the seatpost and end in a
                    > smallish handlebar to allow for a
                    > secure grip for the passenger. I could see my kid
                    > holding on and feeling pretty secure,
                    > versus grabbing onto the snapdeck. He currently
                    > rides a trail-a-bike when I take him to
                    > Kindergarten.
                    >
                    > I now live about a mile from my work and commute by
                    > bike most days, even through our
                    > Northern Indiana winters. Before taking my new job
                    > in August of '05, I drove at least an
                    > hour's round trip for 14 years. I'm really ready to
                    > be done with car commuting.
                    >
                    > Thanks a bunch,
                    > Phil

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • Ben Rosenthal
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 9, 2006
                      I'd be thrilled if Xtracycle would produce a handlebar unit for
                      footsies standers and deck sitters. Sure, I enjoy when friends hold
                      onto me (better than the deck or the seat post), but for smoother
                      riding, sometimes I stand up, and I have to be sure not to when a
                      rider needs me for his/her own balance. I would certainly be a first
                      buyer of such a product!

                      - Ben

                      On 9 Feb 2006, at 15:21, N A wrote:

                      > Phil,
                      > Here are a couple of shots to look at. A tandem stoker
                      > stem is probably going to be your best bet.
                      >
                      > http://xtracycle.com/gallery/view_album.php?
                      > set_albumName=public&page=5
                      >
                      > Drew
                      > San Diego
                    • Phil Good-Elliott
                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 10, 2006
                        Drew, thanks much. That's exactly what I was thinking of.

                        -Phil