Re: Big Dumb Pug

  • Phil Good-Elliott
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 13, 2009
      You're a lucky guy, Chris. What a sweet set-up. I can't justify such a beast, but I can certainly dream about it. I wonder what that will be like in the snow...

      -Phil

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, cfollm@... wrote:

      > Hey Phil,Thanks for the compliments! This thing is a pure joy to ride! It's also a lot easier to pedal than most people think. Ahren Rogers is the owner of Banjo Cycles here in Madison and I think this frame almost sent him to the looney bin a few times! Trying to figure out how to offset the rear wheel enough so that monster chain doesn't rub took him a long time! We used the Pugsley offset rim with a 145mm DT Swiss 540 tandem hub. Then he ended up welding a 1mm space on the non-drive side dropout. That way now I can run the lowest gearing without ruining the tire! Most of the design was his idea, I went to him with a rough idea of what I wanted, a Big Dummy/Pugsley and he went to work from there. The front rack on it was made by his girlfriend Leah Stardgarter
      >
      > Success isn't defined
      > by the things you have.
      > It's defined by the things you don't need

    • Chris Follmer
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 14, 2009
        Hey Carolyn,
        Yes that is my old Xtracycle! I have some friends in Milwaukee who always tell me when they see it out and about! It's great to hear it is still out and about.
        Bruce,
        I'm running a 9 speed XTR derailleur on the back with a Mr. Whirly triple on the front.

        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 14, 2009
          Yeah I do feel kinda bad sometimes with it not even being summer yet, but I really can't wait for winter!
          Chris

          Success isn't defined by the things you have.
          It's defined by the things you don't need

          You're a lucky guy, Chris. What a sweet set-up. I can't justify such a beast, but I can certainly dream about it. I wonder what that will be like in the snow...

          -Phil

          --- In rootsradicals@ yahoogroups. com, cfollm@... wrote:

          > Hey Phil,Thanks for the compliments! This thing is a pure joy to ride! It's also a lot easier to pedal than most people think. Ahren Rogers is the owner of Banjo Cycles here in Madison and I think this frame almost sent him to the looney bin a few times! Trying to figure out how to offset the rear wheel enough so that monster chain doesn't rub took him a long time! We used the Pugsley offset rim with a 145mm DT Swiss 540 tandem hub. Then he ended up welding a 1mm space on the non-drive side dropout. That way now I can run the lowest gearing without ruining the tire! Most of the design was his idea, I went to him with a rough idea of what I wanted, a Big Dummy/Pugsley and he went to work from there. The front rack on it was made by his girlfriend Leah Stardgarter
          >
          > Success isn't defined
          > by the things you have.
          > It's defined by the things you don't need

        • larryu81
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 15, 2009
            --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Snavely <jsnavely@...> wrote:

            > http://www.flickr.com/photos/bigfo/3611958113/sizes/o/
            >

            > On Sat, Jun 13, 2009 at 10:47 PM, Bruce Alan Wilson <
            > bruce_alan_wilson@...> wrote:
            >

            > > I can't tell from the picture, but what sort of gearing does it have--a
            > > derailleur or an IHG?

            Thanks. IMHO, for a winter bike, an IHG, where the gearing was tucked away, would make more sense than having a derailleur that is exposed to the rain and snow and sluch and general ick of winter.
          • Mark Damiani
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 16, 2009
              ok I have  Pug and a big Dummy....sorry its a disease ok...anyway that BDP is a beautiful freak I say...Most days me ride ugly...Oh I love that thing...sick freak of a big dumb pug...

              http://mail.yahoo.com