Re: [rootsradicals] Xtracycle LLC to sell Surly Big Dummy

  • Dane Buson
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 12, 2007
      On Feb 12, jparks781 was accused of saying:

      > Xtracycle is planning to offer a complete build of the Big Dummy once
      > the frame is ready.
      >
      > We haven't finished spec'ing it yet, but the complete bike will likely
      > be in the $1600-$2000 range."
      > http://xtracycle.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1270
      > <http://xtracycle.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1270>
      >
      > I'm collecting opinions on what equipment to use on a Big Dummy, from
      > bars to wheels.
      >
      > Anyone care to offer specific suggestions?

      Not necessarily specific to the Big Dummy, but I do have one thing. I'm
      surprised they don't offer anything beefier than a 36 spoke wheel, at
      least as an option. One of the first things I did was build up a 48
      spoke wheel based on a Gusset Jury (Downhill / Trials) hub for my Xtra.
      I have had enough problems with wheels on my regular commuter that I
      didn't want to take chances with my cargo bike.

      --
      Dane Buson - Buson@...
      The flow chart is a most thoroughly oversold piece of program documentation.
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 14, 2007
        Re: Xtracycle LLC to sell Surly Big Dummy

        For a seat, I use a no-nose, like this one:

        http://www.heartlandamerica.com/browse/item.asp?product=easyseat-adjustable-bike-seat&PIN=6819&GUID=103B9B42-DBDE-4381-8489-0280F1D4C43C&BC=S&DL=SEH1

        Far better adapted to the male body than a traditional seat, which tends to pinch and squeeze somewhere that ought not to be pinched or squeezed.

        Bruce Alan Wilson

      • Paul Rychnovsky
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 15, 2007
          for a seat, it's got to be a Brooks, something sprung like a B67

          Paul

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 27, 2007
            Hmmm... my two cents as a commuter who got the Xtra because the most
            common reason I couldn't ride someplace was that I had to carry stuff,
            but I don't usually carry *tons* of stuff.

            I think moustache handlebars would be "the bomb." (Though I typed
            "the boomb" the first time and maybe that's a better word - has a more
            womby feeling ;)) Should appeal to a wide market.

            Seats are so personal! I'd love a "buy your own seat" option; don't
            know if you should have a mens vs womens difference in seats or not.

            Lights as options, too? A la a nice hub generator wheel? LEDs to
            string around the snapdeck?

            Bud vase?

            I'm not a tecchie... my LBS dude takes care of that stuff for me.
            He's building me a generator wheel for my Xtra as we speak...