Re: [rootsradicals] Xtracycle LLC to sell Surly Big Dummy

    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 11, 2007
      > I'm collecting opinions on what equipment to use on a Big Dummy,
      > from bars to wheels.
      >
      > Anyone care to offer specific suggestions?
      I am not sure who your market is, but once you hit forty, if
      you still try to cycle hard, you get much more finicky about
      handlebars. Those mostly-straight-across mountain bars don't
      seem at all good for middle-aged hands; numb fingers in 3 miles,
      that sort of thing. On a long trip this summer, two of us pinched
      the very same nerve (attached to the pinky side of the ring finger)
      despite being diligent with gloves, nudging the bars up and in to
      try to reduce the weight on our hands, etc.

      So, for me at least, flat bars are crap. I use moustache-style
      bars, double-wrapped with tape, and do better with those. I'm
      still fiddling, trying to get more places to put my hands.

      I'v got bar-end shifters, indexed, and I think they're great,
      except that every once in a while I jab myself in the thigh with
      a shift lever and it leaves a bruise.

      Also, when I was younger, I ripped my (drop) handlebars in half,
      twice. I suggest that you not use wimpy handlebars.

      I have no idea what the right seat should be. It is my belief
      that the seat manufacturers of this world are making a lot of
      money off of people who aren't waiting one week for their butts
      to get a little tougher. The bike I bought back around 2003
      had one of those padded "comfort" seats, it felt like it was
      trying to rip my pelvis in half, I went back to a much harder
      seat and I'm doing just fine (50 miles/week -- did a 300-mile
      week this summer). I had a shock seatpost for a while, but I
      decided it wasn't long enough, and I do just fine without it.

      I ride skinny high-pressure tires (700c x 28) when it's not
      winter, and I like them very much. I am upgrading my rear
      wheel to 36 (DH13) spokes, Dyad Velocity, Shimano XT M-760
      (disk). That is, I would not assume that people are going to
      be putting giant fat tires on these bikes, I don't think it is
      at all necessary. (So do you expect to sell more for street
      use, or off-road use? Could you sell two configurations?)

      I recommend disk brakes, probably not the cheap Shimano ones
      that I use. People seem to say good thing about Avid brakes.

      I'm a huge fan of SPD pedals.

      yours,

      David Chase
    • Dane Buson
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 12, 2007
        On Feb 12, jparks781 was accused of saying:

        > Xtracycle is planning to offer a complete build of the Big Dummy once
        > the frame is ready.
        >
        > We haven't finished spec'ing it yet, but the complete bike will likely
        > be in the $1600-$2000 range."
        > http://xtracycle.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1270
        > <http://xtracycle.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1270>
        >
        > I'm collecting opinions on what equipment to use on a Big Dummy, from
        > bars to wheels.
        >
        > Anyone care to offer specific suggestions?

        Not necessarily specific to the Big Dummy, but I do have one thing. I'm
        surprised they don't offer anything beefier than a 36 spoke wheel, at
        least as an option. One of the first things I did was build up a 48
        spoke wheel based on a Gusset Jury (Downhill / Trials) hub for my Xtra.
        I have had enough problems with wheels on my regular commuter that I
        didn't want to take chances with my cargo bike.

        --
        Dane Buson - Buson@...
        The flow chart is a most thoroughly oversold piece of program documentation.
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 14, 2007
          Re: Xtracycle LLC to sell Surly Big Dummy

          For a seat, I use a no-nose, like this one:

          http://www.heartlandamerica.com/browse/item.asp?product=easyseat-adjustable-bike-seat&PIN=6819&GUID=103B9B42-DBDE-4381-8489-0280F1D4C43C&BC=S&DL=SEH1

          Far better adapted to the male body than a traditional seat, which tends to pinch and squeeze somewhere that ought not to be pinched or squeezed.

          Bruce Alan Wilson

        • Paul Rychnovsky
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 15, 2007
            for a seat, it's got to be a Brooks, something sprung like a B67

            Paul

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 27, 2007
              Hmmm... my two cents as a commuter who got the Xtra because the most
              common reason I couldn't ride someplace was that I had to carry stuff,
              but I don't usually carry *tons* of stuff.

              I think moustache handlebars would be "the bomb." (Though I typed
              "the boomb" the first time and maybe that's a better word - has a more
              womby feeling ;)) Should appeal to a wide market.

              Seats are so personal! I'd love a "buy your own seat" option; don't
              know if you should have a mens vs womens difference in seats or not.

              Lights as options, too? A la a nice hub generator wheel? LEDs to
              string around the snapdeck?

              Bud vase?

              I'm not a tecchie... my LBS dude takes care of that stuff for me.
              He's building me a generator wheel for my Xtra as we speak...