New pics

  • Dave Lloyd
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 6, 2009
      Greetings from St. Louis! I finally posted some pics in the group.  They're in the album "dlloyd's Xtracycle."

      A huge thanks to Anthony Stout and others for their inspiration for the kid seats.  Far better than the trailer, and it's increased my kid carrying capacity to a total of four, though three is the most I've had behind me (two on the seats, one in the trailer).  The kids on the bike are great ambassadors.  I get smiles and waves everywhere I go and people even slow down while passing to tell me what a cool setup the kids seats are.

      --dlloyd
    • Bill Swingle
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 7, 2009
        Dave,

        Glad to see yet another 3-seater xtracycle on the road! I'm very interested in making a double kid
        seat for my xtracycle as well. I've found several examples on the web but not a lot of hard details.
        Does everyone that wants a double kid seat just make it themselves from scratch? Anyone willing to
        share design plans, measurements or other useful details? Too bad no one is making something like
        this for sale.

        I just picked up a complete xtracycle (built on a mid-90's stumpjumper) off of craigslist and am
        loving it! I'm jonesing for a double kid seat though, my daughter goes with me nearly everywhere I
        ride (and we have a new baby on the way any day now) so until I work something out we're stuck with
        my "normal" bike+copilot seat.

        My xtracycle is a bit of a mutant as it has zero matching parts but it runs good even if it looks a
        bit crazy. Here's a quick picture of it, I'll upload better pictures later when the state of the
        bike improves!

        http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1844606&id=683868737

        -Bill

        --
        -=| Bill Swingle - unfurl@...
      • dianedouglas8
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 8, 2009
          Dave,

          Nice work with your double kid seat. I'm sure that your kids like riding with you just as much as mine do.

          Scott

          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Bill Swingle <unfurl@...> wrote:

          > Dave,
          >
          > Glad to see yet another 3-seater xtracycle on the road! I'm very interested in making a double kid
          > seat for my xtracycle as well. I've found several examples on the web but not a lot of hard details.
          > Does everyone that wants a double kid seat just make it themselves from scratch? Anyone willing to
          > share design plans, measurements or other useful details? Too bad no one is making something like
          > this for sale.
          >
          > I just picked up a complete xtracycle (built on a mid-90's stumpjumper) off of craigslist and am
          > loving it! I'm jonesing for a double kid seat though, my daughter goes with me nearly everywhere I
          > ride (and we have a new baby on the way any day now) so until I work something out we're stuck with
          > my "normal" bike+copilot seat.
          >
          > My xtracycle is a bit of a mutant as it has zero matching parts but it runs good even if it looks a
          > bit crazy. Here's a quick picture of it, I'll upload better pictures later when the state of the
          > bike improves!
          >
          > http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1844606&id=683868737
          >
          > -Bill
          >
          > Dave Lloyd wrote:
          > >

          > > Greetings from St. Louis! I finally posted some pics in the group.
          > > They're in the album "dlloyd's Xtracycle."
          > >
          > > A huge thanks to Anthony Stout and others for their inspiration for the
          > > kid seats. Far better than the trailer, and it's increased my kid
          > > carrying capacity to a total of four, though three is the most I've had
          > > behind me (two on the seats, one in the trailer). The kids on the bike
          > > are great ambassadors. I get smiles and waves everywhere I go and
          > > people even slow down while passing to tell me what a cool setup the
          > > kids seats are.
          > >

          > > --dlloyd
          >
          > --
          > -=| Bill Swingle - unfurl@...

        • Dave Lloyd
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 8, 2009
            Thanks for the kind comments! I have to admit it's quite gratifying.
            Of course, if I have biked so far with kids in tow, it is because I
            have stood upon the shoulders of giants.

            I have the seats off the bike right now since the whole family is
            fleeing the mess created by re wiring our entire house. I'll measure
            them when I get back home. One thing I have to say is that you don't
            want to make the seats too long. My first attempt had kid number two
            way too far back and the back of the back seat was behind the
            attachment points. This caused a real nasty shimmy with all that
            weight high and behind the rear axle. In fact the one time I did ride
            with two kids on that iteration, I toppled over after about 20 feet.
            With one kid, it was just fine. Luckily I have a very understanding
            wife, so I set about building version 2.0 which was around four inches
            shorter. This works much better and it's super easy to ride with the
            kids, provided that they don't start poking with each other.

            And there lies the run about the double kid seat. It is a bit easier,
            and certainly much more convenient, tha towing a trailer, but it can
            be less stable. For that reason, I think a trailer may be better for
            really little ones.

            For now I imagine that the reason that there are no commercial
            versions of the seat are that it's a niche of a niche market, so there
            may not be enough demand in terms of numbers to justicy the tooling
            expense. It might be a good cottage industry, but since there are
            product liability and the requisite insurance xconcerna for a product
            like this, the cost would be quite high. Given my materials costs, I
            estimate the cost for the seats to be in the neighborhood of $250. Add
            my time on top, a procut margin and the liability insurance and I bet
            you could see north of $450 for the product at a retail level.

            Anyway, cost wasn't ultimately a huge concern for me. The seats are a
            great way to take a ride with the kids and justify my basement wood
            shop. Plus, the whole setup is a great diplomatic misson for
            transportational cycling I get smiles and waves from everyone,
            including passing drivers. Every driver behind me has always waited
            patiently to pass and given me plenty of room, more so than when I
            used to pull the trailer alone.

            --
            --dlloyd
          • kennliza
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 8, 2009
              I think all the super plush seats folks have made for their kids are cool, but don't let them intimidate you. They're nice, but you don't need 'em.

              I'm a bike commuter, and a trailer will not work for me. (I don't like using a trailer in high-traffic situations, nor while regularly riding downtown, and I don't have a place to safely and securely store one.)

              I have a bodged together kid rig that works great, didn't cost me much in terms of money or time, and pops off on the fly if I need to carry something other than children.

              You can see it here:
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/pryor_kornack/2702848792/

              The front seat, which was originally put together for my then-2-year-old, who has sensory integration issues and has trouble sitting still, is a travel booster seat from Target. (My husband insisted on something with buckles, but we've never actually needed them.) She puts her feet in the pannier bags or on the bars under my seat, and she holds on to stoker bars on my seat post.

              My then-4-year-old's seat is comprised of 2 "hooks" meant to hold hoses or towels in garages. She holds on to one and uses the other as a backrest. And we used a gardener's kneeler cushion as seat padding.

              Everything is attached to a board that functions as a second snapdeck. It clips on to the real snapdeck just like the snapdeck attaches to the bike. And we added some velcro straps to keep the whole contraption from popping off.

              I've used this wacky setup for more than two years, riding with the kids almost every day between March and October. And we don't see any need to change anything.

              The same rule goes for bikes. People get caught up in what sort of brakes they need, what tires, what pedals, what saddle. But you truly don't need much to get going. And if you really, truly need something different, it will become apparent once you're out there.

              So carry those kids, and build a super-cool seat if you want to. But if you just want to get cycling, and get going now, look into the cheapie setup. You might never look back. :)

              -l

              --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Bill Swingle <unfurl@...> wrote:

              > Dave,
              >
              > Glad to see yet another 3-seater xtracycle on the road! I'm very interested in making a double kid
              > seat for my xtracycle as well. I've found several examples on the web but not a lot of hard details.
              > Does everyone that wants a double kid seat just make it themselves from scratch? Anyone willing to
              > share design plans, measurements or other useful details? Too bad no one is making something like
              > this for sale.
              >
              > I just picked up a complete xtracycle (built on a mid-90's stumpjumper) off of craigslist and am
              > loving it! I'm jonesing for a double kid seat though, my daughter goes with me nearly everywhere I
              > ride (and we have a new baby on the way any day now) so until I work something out we're stuck with
              > my "normal" bike+copilot seat.
              >
              > My xtracycle is a bit of a mutant as it has zero matching parts but it runs good even if it looks a
              > bit crazy. Here's a quick picture of it, I'll upload better pictures later when the state of the
              > bike improves!
              >
              > http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1844606&id=683868737
              >
              > -Bill
              >
              > Dave Lloyd wrote:
              > >

              > > Greetings from St. Louis! I finally posted some pics in the group.
              > > They're in the album "dlloyd's Xtracycle."
              > >
              > > A huge thanks to Anthony Stout and others for their inspiration for the
              > > kid seats. Far better than the trailer, and it's increased my kid
              > > carrying capacity to a total of four, though three is the most I've had
              > > behind me (two on the seats, one in the trailer). The kids on the bike
              > > are great ambassadors. I get smiles and waves everywhere I go and
              > > people even slow down while passing to tell me what a cool setup the
              > > kids seats are.
              > >

              > > --dlloyd
              >
              > --
              > -=| Bill Swingle - unfurl@...

            • Bill Swingle
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 9, 2009
                Thanks for all the great advice everyone. I had previously planned on making some wood double seat
                thingy but the weight issue (plus the time required) convinced me otherwise. Today I took to
                drilling a few holes in our current kid seat and mounting it otherwise unmodified to the front of
                the snapdeck. I cut a chunk of wood roughly the same size as the bike rack that the seat was made to
                fit and then bolted the seat, wood and snapdeck all together with some hefty locktite nuts/bolts. I
                wanted my first attempt at this to be non-destructive to the existing seat and it seems to be a
                success! It looks like the remaining space on the snapdeck should be sufficient for another seat
                when the time is right (child #2 is still in utero but only for a few more days). I'm a bit
                concerned that the seat is a little close to the saddle but the clearance seems to be just enough.

                There's a pic of it here:

                http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1867838&l=1f3bb8527b&id=683868737

                Thanks again everyone!

                -Bill