Re: [rootsradicals] Trailer hitches

  • Joe Kisley
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 4, 2009
      Davis,

      How about one of these???

      The big one on the bottom of the page might be just the thing. We used pintle hitches in the military and they work great.

      Joe in Iowa
      http://ninemileskid.blogspot.com/

      On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 9:08 PM, David Dannenberg <ddannenberg@...> wrote:

      Seems to me, based on using and looking at car and truck hitches, that
      a pintle hook type of arrangement would be excellent. On motor
      vehicles there is a pintle, a vertically mounted ring that opens, and
      on the trailer a lunette, a horizontally mounted ring that is fixed.
      There is sometimes some play between the two so there is some clunking
      upon braking and starting from a start. Some of the pintles are
      designed to allow 360 rotation. With this type of system there is an
      enormous range of movement in three dimensions--limitless if the
      pintle is a rotating one (I once saw a picture of a Dodge Power Wagon
      still hooked to a trailer that had flipped over--full 180!). Anyway, I
      am sure someone can make something like this for bikes. Search the
      hardware store and boating catalogs for parts or just bend some metal.

      David

    • Philip Chase
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 4, 2009
        This trailer hitch thread go me looking at instructables were I found this cool hack: http://www.instructables.com/id/Quick-Hitch-for-bike-trailer/

        It may well have the amazing range of motion you are looking for.

        Philip

        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, David Dannenberg <ddannenberg@...> wrote:

        > Seems to me, based on using and looking at car and truck hitches, that
        > a pintle hook type of arrangement would be excellent. On motor
        > vehicles there is a pintle, a vertically mounted ring that opens, and
        > on the trailer a lunette, a horizontally mounted ring that is fixed.
        > There is sometimes some play between the two so there is some clunking
        > upon braking and starting from a start. Some of the pintles are
        > designed to allow 360 rotation. With this type of system there is an
        > enormous range of movement in three dimensions--limitless if the
        > pintle is a rotating one (I once saw a picture of a Dodge Power Wagon
        > still hooked to a trailer that had flipped over--full 180!). Anyway, I
        > am sure someone can make something like this for bikes. Search the
        > hardware store and boating catalogs for parts or just bend some metal.
        >
        > David

      • David Dannenberg
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 4, 2009
          Thanks but I'd worry that those lobster claw snap hooks are not strong
          enough.

          Also a safety strap such as burley uses on their trailers is a good
          idea for trailers.