Re: [rootsradicals] Re: Has anyone tried fabricating a ball-hitch type system for their X?

  • Mark Garvey
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 2, 2009
      A couple of points about the "Chariot"  Actually, I have a Trek "Transit" trailer which uses the same ball setup.  It works pretty well but the hitch is really expensive!

      Has it rotated...Yes, it has, but I put it back and snugged it down a bit and it seems fine now.

      I have hauled my two grand daughters in the Transit with the ball hitch and I have hauled maybe 50-60 lbs in the little trailer that fits the ball joint hitch. Maybe more.  I actually never measured them.  the girls weigh maybe 75 lbs or so together I think.

      The trailer that I have the hitch mounted to is a home made job that a friend gave me.  It is a very nice useful little thing, but I would not want to put too much weight in it.  a Cloth bottom and coroplast sides and top make it useable for most minor errands such as grocery shopping.

      A note about securing the hitch.  I had it mounted along the "Chain stay extension" of the X at one time but it got too close to the tire with the fat 2 inch tires I prefer and I would get dragging. So I changed it around.  It wouldn't take a genius to design and build a better setup than that.  this was the product of a simple perusal of the "problem" and then a rummage through my spares pile.  So improvement is probably unsurprising!

      On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 7:32 PM, watrout <watrout@...> wrote:
      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Phil Good-Elliott" <b4kids@...> wrote:
      > Chariot Carriers brand trailers use a cup and ball hitch system. It uses a QR skewer to hold the cup in place on the back axle. Here's a sample of an extra "EZ Hitch" for their carriers:
      > http://www.rei.com/product/710349
      > We use this all the time on our X and on another bike. You can use one Wide Loader (Rt side) this way.
      > I suppose you could mount a QR hub to the rear bridge of the X then use this system, but I'd want to make sure that hub was practically welded in place to avoid losing any cargo - especially any child in a trailer!
      > -Phil
      > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "watrout" <watrout@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I'm thinking a ball hitch type system would be nice for my X.  Particularly I'd like it for my kid trailer - right now I attach the trailer hitch via a bolt through the rear tube on the free rad.  Problem is when I want to run wide loaders I have to take the trailer hitch off and therefore can no longer take the trailer.  I also thought a standard type (be-it small) ball type hitch could make cargo trailers and the like much easier to come by.  Don't know, just thinking out loud - anyone here tried it?

      I have a Chariot trailer right now.  I've never liked mounting it to the axle because of the interference with the bags/cargo etc and the limited turning radius.  That's why I mounted the Chariot hitch to the back tube via threaded rod.  Works great for the trailer, but as I said, not feasible when I want to use wide loaders & the trailer.  I've also been thinking about the ball hitch because I've been thinking about using one of those small garden trailers when I really need to haul stuff (they're dirt cheap compared to utility bike trailers).  As of right now, if I want to haul lots of stuff I use the Chariot as a cargo trailer but don't love hauling lots of # with the bike kit (I'd rather have the weight spread over two arms rather than one).  If I can get the ball hitch idea working I plan on using the jogger kit with some sort of fabricated plate to hold the two arms together.

      Thanks for the pictures of your setup, looks like you have a Chariot trailer too?  What is the most weight you've pulled with that setup?  It looks like you've got the whole hitch mounted with one U bolt - have you ever had problems with the whole assembly rotating on the X's tube?  Lastly, what kind of trailer are you pulling with the ball hitch?

      ride to believe.Yahoo! Groups Links

      <*> Your email settings:
         Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to: