Re: Has anyone tried fabricating a ball-hitch type system for their X?

  • watrout
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 2, 2009
      Mark,
      Do you have any pictures of your setup?
    • Phil Good-Elliott
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 2, 2009
        Chariot Carriers brand trailers use a cup and ball hitch system. It uses a QR skewer to hold the cup in place on the back axle. Here's a sample of an extra "EZ Hitch" for their carriers:

        http://www.rei.com/product/710349

        We use this all the time on our X and on another bike. You can use one Wide Loader (Rt side) this way.

        I suppose you could mount a QR hub to the rear bridge of the X then use this system, but I'd want to make sure that hub was practically welded in place to avoid losing any cargo - especially any child in a trailer!

        -Phil

        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "watrout" <watrout@...> wrote:

        > I'm thinking a ball hitch type system would be nice for my X. Particularly I'd like it for my kid trailer - right now I attach the trailer hitch via a bolt through the rear tube on the free rad. Problem is when I want to run wide loaders I have to take the trailer hitch off and therefore can no longer take the trailer. I also thought a standard type (be-it small) ball type hitch could make cargo trailers and the like much easier to come by. Don't know, just thinking out loud - anyone here tried it?

      • watrout
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 2, 2009
          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Phil Good-Elliott" <b4kids@...> wrote:

          > Chariot Carriers brand trailers use a cup and ball hitch system. It uses a QR skewer to hold the cup in place on the back axle. Here's a sample of an extra "EZ Hitch" for their carriers:
          >
          > http://www.rei.com/product/710349
          >
          > We use this all the time on our X and on another bike. You can use one Wide Loader (Rt side) this way.
          >
          > I suppose you could mount a QR hub to the rear bridge of the X then use this system, but I'd want to make sure that hub was practically welded in place to avoid losing any cargo - especially any child in a trailer!
          >
          > -Phil
          >
          > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "watrout" <watrout@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I'm thinking a ball hitch type system would be nice for my X. Particularly I'd like it for my kid trailer - right now I attach the trailer hitch via a bolt through the rear tube on the free rad. Problem is when I want to run wide loaders I have to take the trailer hitch off and therefore can no longer take the trailer. I also thought a standard type (be-it small) ball type hitch could make cargo trailers and the like much easier to come by. Don't know, just thinking out loud - anyone here tried it?

          Phil,
          I have a Chariot trailer right now. I've never liked mounting it to the axle because of the interference with the bags/cargo etc and the limited turning radius. That's why I mounted the Chariot hitch to the back tube via threaded rod. Works great for the trailer, but as I said, not feasible when I want to use wide loaders & the trailer. I've also been thinking about the ball hitch because I've been thinking about using one of those small garden trailers when I really need to haul stuff (they're dirt cheap compared to utility bike trailers). As of right now, if I want to haul lots of stuff I use the Chariot as a cargo trailer but don't love hauling lots of # with the bike kit (I'd rather have the weight spread over two arms rather than one). If I can get the ball hitch idea working I plan on using the jogger kit with some sort of fabricated plate to hold the two arms together.

          Mark,
          Thanks for the pictures of your setup, looks like you have a Chariot trailer too? What is the most weight you've pulled with that setup? It looks like you've got the whole hitch mounted with one U bolt - have you ever had problems with the whole assembly rotating on the X's tube? Lastly, what kind of trailer are you pulling with the ball hitch?
        • Mark Garvey
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 2, 2009
            A couple of points about the "Chariot"  Actually, I have a Trek "Transit" trailer which uses the same ball setup.  It works pretty well but the hitch is really expensive!

            Has it rotated...Yes, it has, but I put it back and snugged it down a bit and it seems fine now.

            I have hauled my two grand daughters in the Transit with the ball hitch and I have hauled maybe 50-60 lbs in the little trailer that fits the ball joint hitch. Maybe more.  I actually never measured them.  the girls weigh maybe 75 lbs or so together I think.

            The trailer that I have the hitch mounted to is a home made job that a friend gave me.  It is a very nice useful little thing, but I would not want to put too much weight in it.  a Cloth bottom and coroplast sides and top make it useable for most minor errands such as grocery shopping.

            A note about securing the hitch.  I had it mounted along the "Chain stay extension" of the X at one time but it got too close to the tire with the fat 2 inch tires I prefer and I would get dragging. So I changed it around.  It wouldn't take a genius to design and build a better setup than that.  this was the product of a simple perusal of the "problem" and then a rummage through my spares pile.  So improvement is probably unsurprising!

            MArk

            On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 7:32 PM, watrout <watrout@...> wrote:
            --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Phil Good-Elliott" <b4kids@...> wrote:

            > Chariot Carriers brand trailers use a cup and ball hitch system. It uses a QR skewer to hold the cup in place on the back axle. Here's a sample of an extra "EZ Hitch" for their carriers:
            >
            > http://www.rei.com/product/710349
            >
            > We use this all the time on our X and on another bike. You can use one Wide Loader (Rt side) this way.
            >
            > I suppose you could mount a QR hub to the rear bridge of the X then use this system, but I'd want to make sure that hub was practically welded in place to avoid losing any cargo - especially any child in a trailer!
            >
            > -Phil
            >
            > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "watrout" <watrout@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I'm thinking a ball hitch type system would be nice for my X.  Particularly I'd like it for my kid trailer - right now I attach the trailer hitch via a bolt through the rear tube on the free rad.  Problem is when I want to run wide loaders I have to take the trailer hitch off and therefore can no longer take the trailer.  I also thought a standard type (be-it small) ball type hitch could make cargo trailers and the like much easier to come by.  Don't know, just thinking out loud - anyone here tried it?

            Phil,
            I have a Chariot trailer right now.  I've never liked mounting it to the axle because of the interference with the bags/cargo etc and the limited turning radius.  That's why I mounted the Chariot hitch to the back tube via threaded rod.  Works great for the trailer, but as I said, not feasible when I want to use wide loaders & the trailer.  I've also been thinking about the ball hitch because I've been thinking about using one of those small garden trailers when I really need to haul stuff (they're dirt cheap compared to utility bike trailers).  As of right now, if I want to haul lots of stuff I use the Chariot as a cargo trailer but don't love hauling lots of # with the bike kit (I'd rather have the weight spread over two arms rather than one).  If I can get the ball hitch idea working I plan on using the jogger kit with some sort of fabricated plate to hold the two arms together.

            Mark,
            Thanks for the pictures of your setup, looks like you have a Chariot trailer too?  What is the most weight you've pulled with that setup?  It looks like you've got the whole hitch mounted with one U bolt - have you ever had problems with the whole assembly rotating on the X's tube?  Lastly, what kind of trailer are you pulling with the ball hitch?

            <*> Your email settings:
               Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
               (Yahoo! ID required)