Kickback Taco Shield and Salad fix

  • dianedouglas8
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 2, 2009
      I finally got around to installing my new Taco Shield (thanks,
      Xtracycle) on my Kickback on my Big Dummy. Like many other
      commenters here on this board, I also had the carpet "walk back" and
      begin to slip off it's proper place protecting the frame from the top
      of the kickback stand. Instead of trying to reglue the carpet back
      in place, I went the DIY route and zip-tied a cut section of an old
      mtn. bike tube (1.25" width, I think). The width was just perfect
      and fit over the kickback top with just a little overlap. It's all
      held in place with four zip ties.

      One word of caution, make sure that you secure the zip ties away from
      where the kickback hits the frame. Two of the zip ties wrap around
      the angled flanges and the other two are on the flat bottom, but
      positioned far away from the center where the kickstand would hit the
      oval frame.

      I'll try to take a good picture of it tonight and upload it on this
      site.

      Email me if you have questions.

      --Scott
    • Joseph Ford
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 2, 2009
        I finally got around to installing the kickback I got for christmas last night along with the taco sheild I later recieved. It seems like the the adhesive on the taco sheild might not be enough to hold it in place for the long haul. I'm curious if anyone has added any kind of reinforcement?

        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "dianedouglas8" <diane.douglas8@...> wrote:

        > I finally got around to installing my new Taco Shield (thanks,
        > Xtracycle) on my Kickback on my Big Dummy. Like many other
        > commenters here on this board, I also had the carpet "walk back" and
        > begin to slip off it's proper place protecting the frame from the top
        > of the kickback stand. Instead of trying to reglue the carpet back
        > in place, I went the DIY route and zip-tied a cut section of an old
        > mtn. bike tube (1.25" width, I think). The width was just perfect
        > and fit over the kickback top with just a little overlap. It's all
        > held in place with four zip ties.
        >
        > One word of caution, make sure that you secure the zip ties away from
        > where the kickback hits the frame. Two of the zip ties wrap around
        > the angled flanges and the other two are on the flat bottom, but
        > positioned far away from the center where the kickstand would hit the
        > oval frame.
        >
        > I'll try to take a good picture of it tonight and upload it on this
        > site.
        >
        > Email me if you have questions.
        >
        > --Scott

      • Rick Pickett
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 2, 2009
          I've been running one of the prototypes for about four months and it hasn't budged.  Should be good to go with your shield.  But still double-check it, I do every couple weeks or so.

          Cheers,
          Rick

          On Jun 2, 2009, at 10:58 AM, Joseph Ford wrote:

          I finally got around to installing the kickback I got for christmas last night along with the taco sheild I later recieved. It seems like the the adhesive on the taco sheild might not be enough to hold it in place for the long haul. I'm curious if anyone has added any kind of reinforcement?

          --- In rootsradicals@ yahoogroups. com, "dianedouglas8" <diane.douglas8@ ...> wrote:

          > I finally got around to installing my new Taco Shield (thanks,
          > Xtracycle) on my Kickback on my Big Dummy. Like many other
          > commenters here on this board, I also had the carpet "walk back" and
          > begin to slip off it's proper place protecting the frame from the top
          > of the kickback stand. Instead of trying to reglue the carpet back
          > in place, I went the DIY route and zip-tied a cut section of an old
          > mtn. bike tube (1.25" width, I think). The width was just perfect
          > and fit over the kickback top with just a little overlap. It's all
          > held in place with four zip ties.
          >
          > One word of caution, make sure that you secure the zip ties away from
          > where the kickback hits the frame. Two of the zip ties wrap around
          > the angled flanges and the other two are on the flat bottom, but
          > positioned far away from the center where the kickstand would hit the
          > oval frame.
          >
          > I'll try to take a good picture of it tonight and upload it on this
          > site.
          >
          > Email me if you have questions.
          >
          > --Scott

        • Joseph Ford
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 2, 2009
            sounds good to me. thanks for the reply.

            --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Rick Pickett <rick.pickett@...> wrote:

            > I've been running one of the prototypes for about four months and it
            > hasn't budged. Should be good to go with your shield. But still
            > double-check it, I do every couple weeks or so.
            >
            > Cheers,
            > Rick
            >
            > On Jun 2, 2009, at 10:58 AM, Joseph Ford wrote:
            >

            > > I finally got around to installing the kickback I got for christmas
            > > last night along with the taco sheild I later recieved. It seems
            > > like the the adhesive on the taco sheild might not be enough to hold
            > > it in place for the long haul. I'm curious if anyone has added any
            > > kind of reinforcement?
            > >
            > > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "dianedouglas8"
            > > <diane.douglas8@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I finally got around to installing my new Taco Shield (thanks,
            > > > Xtracycle) on my Kickback on my Big Dummy. Like many other
            > > > commenters here on this board, I also had the carpet "walk back" and
            > > > begin to slip off it's proper place protecting the frame from the
            > > top
            > > > of the kickback stand. Instead of trying to reglue the carpet back
            > > > in place, I went the DIY route and zip-tied a cut section of an old
            > > > mtn. bike tube (1.25" width, I think). The width was just perfect
            > > > and fit over the kickback top with just a little overlap. It's all
            > > > held in place with four zip ties.
            > > >
            > > > One word of caution, make sure that you secure the zip ties away
            > > from
            > > > where the kickback hits the frame. Two of the zip ties wrap around
            > > > the angled flanges and the other two are on the flat bottom, but
            > > > positioned far away from the center where the kickstand would hit
            > > the
            > > > oval frame.
            > > >
            > > > I'll try to take a good picture of it tonight and upload it on this
            > > > site.
            > > >
            > > > Email me if you have questions.
            > > >
            > > > --Scott

          • Joe Kisley
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 2, 2009
              I installed my taco shield a few weeks ago when I received it. Thanks Rick! I found that the directions said to place the shield 1.5 inches from the cross tube / front wide loader tube. This put the shield too far forward (I checked before installing it and marked the popper location with a sharpie). It was 1.5 inches from the back side of the cross tube / front wide loader tube though. I also noticed that the shape of the shield did not match the contour on the Dummy's boom tube, so that all of the adhesive would not make contact. I added two zip ties just to be sure. After a couple weeks, I noticed that the Kick Back was pushing the shield forward. I couldn't push it back as the adhesive was holding very well. I removed the shield and notice the adhesive was squished down (technical term) more at the back and I'm assuming the KB puts more pressure on the rear of my shield, thus pushing it forward. Instead of putting it back on, I went back to using the "T" shaped piece of plastic and inner-tube shield I was using before.

              Joe in Iowa
              http://ninemileskid.blogspot.com/

              On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 1:12 PM, Rick Pickett <rick.pickett@...> wrote:

              I've been running one of the prototypes for about four months and it hasn't budged.  Should be good to go with your shield.  But still double-check it, I do every couple weeks or so.

              Cheers,
              Rick

              On Jun 2, 2009, at 10:58 AM, Joseph Ford wrote:

              I finally got around to installing the kickback I got for christmas last night along with the taco sheild I later recieved. It seems like the the adhesive on the taco sheild might not be enough to hold it in place for the long haul. I'm curious if anyone has added any kind of reinforcement?

              --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "dianedouglas8" <diane.douglas8@...> wrote:

              > I finally got around to installing my new Taco Shield (thanks,
              > Xtracycle) on my Kickback on my Big Dummy. Like many other
              > commenters here on this board, I also had the carpet "walk back" and
              > begin to slip off it's proper place protecting the frame from the top
              > of the kickback stand. Instead of trying to reglue the carpet back
              > in place, I went the DIY route and zip-tied a cut section of an old
              > mtn. bike tube (1.25" width, I think). The width was just perfect
              > and fit over the kickback top with just a little overlap. It's all
              > held in place with four zip ties.
              >
              > One word of caution, make sure that you secure the zip ties away from
              > where the kickback hits the frame. Two of the zip ties wrap around
              > the angled flanges and the other two are on the flat bottom, but
              > positioned far away from the center where the kickstand would hit the
              > oval frame.
              >
              > I'll try to take a good picture of it tonight and upload it on this
              > site.
              >
              > Email me if you have questions.
              >
              > --Scott

            • Rick Pickett
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 2, 2009
                That distance was chosen do to the angle of contact on the KickBack, we wanted to ensure a flatter contact area.  If you place it too close to the bridge, the edge of the taco will hit and the pressure will be less dispersed.

                On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 1:12 PM, Rick Pickett <rick.pickett@ mac.com> wrote:

                I've been running one of the prototypes for about four months and it hasn't budged.  Should be good to go with your shield.  But still double-check it, I do every couple weeks or so.

                Cheers,
                Rick

                On Jun 2, 2009, at 10:58 AM, Joseph Ford wrote:

                I finally got around to installing the kickback I got for christmas last night along with the taco sheild I later recieved. It seems like the the adhesive on the taco sheild might not be enough to hold it in place for the long haul. I'm curious if anyone has added any kind of reinforcement?

                --- In rootsradicals@ yahoogroups. com, "dianedouglas8" <diane.douglas8@ ...> wrote:

                > I finally got around to installing my new Taco Shield (thanks,
                > Xtracycle) on my Kickback on my Big Dummy. Like many other
                > commenters here on this board, I also had the carpet "walk back" and
                > begin to slip off it's proper place protecting the frame from the top
                > of the kickback stand. Instead of trying to reglue the carpet back
                > in place, I went the DIY route and zip-tied a cut section of an old
                > mtn. bike tube (1.25" width, I think). The width was just perfect
                > and fit over the kickback top with just a little overlap. It's all
                > held in place with four zip ties.
                >
                > One word of caution, make sure that you secure the zip ties away from
                > where the kickback hits the frame. Two of the zip ties wrap around
                > the angled flanges and the other two are on the flat bottom, but
                > positioned far away from the center where the kickstand would hit the
                > oval frame.
                >
                > I'll try to take a good picture of it tonight and upload it on this
                > site.
                >
                > Email me if you have questions.
                >
                > --Scott

              • Joe Kisley
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 2, 2009
                  Thanks Rick!  That's my problem. I assumed the distance was a typo in the directions. I just lined the shield up so that it was evenly spaced along the KB. I'll stick it back on further forward and see how it goes.