Re: [rootsradicals] Re: Freeradical on a Tandem

  • jj
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1, 2009
      Most tandems are 145mm, not 135, so you have 10mm difference.

      That *can* be cold-bent on a frame with relative success. I have done it. But I am not sure about the FR frame. Others will have to speak to that. I am sure it can be done, but am not sure how one would  keep the dropouts parallel.

      jj
      Philip Prescott wrote:

      The frame is steel. I'll check the spacing, I'm sure its wider than normal.

      Thanks for the reply.

      --- In rootsradicals@ yahoogroups. com, David Chase <dr2chase@.. .> wrote:

      > If you are using disk brakes, it does not matter whether you get a 26"
      > or 700c FreeRadical. The only difference between them is in the place
      > of the studs for cantilevers.
      >
      > A slightly larger problem is that tandem rear wheels have a wide
      > spacing, wider than than MTB standard. You need to be sure that the
      > frame will flex enough to accommodate the FR, and either use a non-
      > tandem wheel, or flex the FR wide enough to accept the tandem wheel.
      > I have sprung steel frames, it's not too hard, but as a rule this is
      > not the first thing you recommend that people do with their bikes.
      > (And if your tandem is not made of steel, I get more worried).
      >

      > On 2009-05-31, at 8:56 PM, Philip Prescott wrote:
      > > I have a 700c tandem I'd like to put a freeradical on it. Has anyone
      > > else attemped this? It is possible? I'm thinking of using a 26" mtb
      > > wheel with disc brakes. Should I go with a 700c freerad and 26"
      > > wheel (possible?) or 700c freerad with the tandem wheel? Any advice
      > > is greatly appreciated.

    • Pete B
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 1, 2009
        Here's one someone prepared earlier ;-)

        http://unixbigots.org/files/bike/kxtandem-2.jpg
        http://unixbigots.org/files/bike/kxtandem-1.jpg

        pics are from a discussion on making bamboo bikes (?!)
        http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/34709834/m/607009720931/r/480006988931

        Philip Prescott wrote:

        The frame is steel. I'll check the spacing, I'm sure its wider than normal.

        Thanks for the reply.

        > If you are using disk brakes, it does not matter whether you get a 26"
        > or 700c FreeRadical. The only difference between them is in the place
        > of the studs for cantilevers.
        >
        > A slightly larger problem is that tandem rear wheels have a wide
        > spacing, wider than than MTB standard. You need to be sure that the
        > frame will flex enough to accommodate the FR, and either use a non-
        > tandem wheel, or flex the FR wide enough to accept the tandem wheel.
        > I have sprung steel frames, it's not too hard, but as a rule this is
        > not the first thing you recommend that people do with their bikes.
        > (And if your tandem is not made of steel, I get more worried).
        >

        > On 2009-05-31, at 8:56 PM, Philip Prescott wrote:
        > > I have a 700c tandem I'd like to put a freeradical on it. Has anyone
        > > else attemped this? It is possible? I'm thinking of using a 26" mtb
        > > wheel with disc brakes. Should I go with a 700c freerad and 26"
        > > wheel (possible?) or 700c freerad with the tandem wheel? Any advice
        > > is greatly appreciated.

      • Dane Buson
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 1, 2009
          On Jun 1, Pete B tripped the electrons lexically so:

          > Here's one someone prepared earlier ;-)
          >
          > http://unixbigots.org/files/bike/kxtandem-2.jpg
          > http://unixbigots.org/files/bike/kxtandem-1.jpg

          I'm working on it, I have most of the parts, some work to go. Mostly a
          matter of finding enough round 'tuits.

          > pics are from a discussion on making bamboo bikes (?!)
          > http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/34709834/m/607009720931/r/480006988931

          It's a general bicycle thread on a tech board.

          One advantage of the (crappy) frame I chose is that it's 135mm OLD.
          I'll build up a 48 spoke rear wheel based on the Halo Spin Doctor hub
          (135 mm OLD disc), which is similar to what I have on my normal X.

          --
          Dane Buson - Buson@...
          Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife - chopping off what's
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 1, 2009
            I have heard of this, but never seen it; the front and back wheels would practically be in different zip codes!