Re: Freeradical on a Tandem

  • Philip Prescott
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1, 2009
      The frame is steel. I'll check the spacing, I'm sure its wider than normal.

      Thanks for the reply.

      > If you are using disk brakes, it does not matter whether you get a 26"
      > or 700c FreeRadical. The only difference between them is in the place
      > of the studs for cantilevers.
      >
      > A slightly larger problem is that tandem rear wheels have a wide
      > spacing, wider than than MTB standard. You need to be sure that the
      > frame will flex enough to accommodate the FR, and either use a non-
      > tandem wheel, or flex the FR wide enough to accept the tandem wheel.
      > I have sprung steel frames, it's not too hard, but as a rule this is
      > not the first thing you recommend that people do with their bikes.
      > (And if your tandem is not made of steel, I get more worried).
      >

      > On 2009-05-31, at 8:56 PM, Philip Prescott wrote:
      > > I have a 700c tandem I'd like to put a freeradical on it. Has anyone
      > > else attemped this? It is possible? I'm thinking of using a 26" mtb
      > > wheel with disc brakes. Should I go with a 700c freerad and 26"
      > > wheel (possible?) or 700c freerad with the tandem wheel? Any advice
      > > is greatly appreciated.

    • jj
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 1, 2009
        Most tandems are 145mm, not 135, so you have 10mm difference.

        That *can* be cold-bent on a frame with relative success. I have done it. But I am not sure about the FR frame. Others will have to speak to that. I am sure it can be done, but am not sure how one would  keep the dropouts parallel.

        jj

        --- In rootsradicals@ yahoogroups. com, David Chase <dr2chase@.. .> wrote:

        > If you are using disk brakes, it does not matter whether you get a 26"
        > or 700c FreeRadical. The only difference between them is in the place
        > of the studs for cantilevers.
        >
        > A slightly larger problem is that tandem rear wheels have a wide
        > spacing, wider than than MTB standard. You need to be sure that the
        > frame will flex enough to accommodate the FR, and either use a non-
        > tandem wheel, or flex the FR wide enough to accept the tandem wheel.
        > I have sprung steel frames, it's not too hard, but as a rule this is
        > not the first thing you recommend that people do with their bikes.
        > (And if your tandem is not made of steel, I get more worried).
        >

        > On 2009-05-31, at 8:56 PM, Philip Prescott wrote:
        > > I have a 700c tandem I'd like to put a freeradical on it. Has anyone
        > > else attemped this? It is possible? I'm thinking of using a 26" mtb
        > > wheel with disc brakes. Should I go with a 700c freerad and 26"
        > > wheel (possible?) or 700c freerad with the tandem wheel? Any advice
        > > is greatly appreciated.

      • Pete B
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 1, 2009
          Here's one someone prepared earlier ;-)

          http://unixbigots.org/files/bike/kxtandem-2.jpg
          http://unixbigots.org/files/bike/kxtandem-1.jpg

          pics are from a discussion on making bamboo bikes (?!)
          http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/34709834/m/607009720931/r/480006988931

          Philip Prescott wrote:

          The frame is steel. I'll check the spacing, I'm sure its wider than normal.

          Thanks for the reply.

          > If you are using disk brakes, it does not matter whether you get a 26"
          > or 700c FreeRadical. The only difference between them is in the place
          > of the studs for cantilevers.
          >
          > A slightly larger problem is that tandem rear wheels have a wide
          > spacing, wider than than MTB standard. You need to be sure that the
          > frame will flex enough to accommodate the FR, and either use a non-
          > tandem wheel, or flex the FR wide enough to accept the tandem wheel.
          > I have sprung steel frames, it's not too hard, but as a rule this is
          > not the first thing you recommend that people do with their bikes.
          > (And if your tandem is not made of steel, I get more worried).
          >

          > On 2009-05-31, at 8:56 PM, Philip Prescott wrote:
          > > I have a 700c tandem I'd like to put a freeradical on it. Has anyone
          > > else attemped this? It is possible? I'm thinking of using a 26" mtb
          > > wheel with disc brakes. Should I go with a 700c freerad and 26"
          > > wheel (possible?) or 700c freerad with the tandem wheel? Any advice
          > > is greatly appreciated.

        • Dane Buson
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 1, 2009
            On Jun 1, Pete B tripped the electrons lexically so:

            > Here's one someone prepared earlier ;-)
            >
            > http://unixbigots.org/files/bike/kxtandem-2.jpg
            > http://unixbigots.org/files/bike/kxtandem-1.jpg

            I'm working on it, I have most of the parts, some work to go. Mostly a
            matter of finding enough round 'tuits.

            > pics are from a discussion on making bamboo bikes (?!)
            > http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/34709834/m/607009720931/r/480006988931

            It's a general bicycle thread on a tech board.

            One advantage of the (crappy) frame I chose is that it's 135mm OLD.
            I'll build up a 48 spoke rear wheel based on the Halo Spin Doctor hub
            (135 mm OLD disc), which is similar to what I have on my normal X.

            --
            Dane Buson - Buson@...
            Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife - chopping off what's
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 1, 2009
              I have heard of this, but never seen it; the front and back wheels would practically be in different zip codes!