Has anyone tried fabricating a ball-hitch type system for their X?

  • watrout
    Message 1 of 7 , May 31 7:25 PM
      I'm thinking a ball hitch type system would be nice for my X. Particularly I'd like it for my kid trailer - right now I attach the trailer hitch via a bolt through the rear tube on the free rad. Problem is when I want to run wide loaders I have to take the trailer hitch off and therefore can no longer take the trailer. I also thought a standard type (be-it small) ball type hitch could make cargo trailers and the like much easier to come by. Don't know, just thinking out loud - anyone here tried it?
    • henseljames
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1, 2009
        I thought the solution was to use air hose fittings as the attachment of trailers -- but then I don't own a trailer.

        Jim
      • Mark Garvey
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 2, 2009
          Yes, I have a detachable Ball joint on a small bracket on the back of my X. It also fits the hhitch for my kiddy trailer.  The ball joint is basically a Rod end joint (like the steering rods on recumbent bikes) in 3/8 size if I remember correctly.  they were inexpensive in the extreme and have a spring loaded cover that captures the ball.  I can't remember exactly where I got them (I got 2) but McMaster Karr (?) is a good place to start.

          It may be too lightweight, but I have been using them for about 2 years now and they have had no issues other than me garfing my shins on the bracket!  But I have the same problem with the hitch on my Van too!

          On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 9:25 PM, watrout <watrout@...> wrote:
          I'm thinking a ball hitch type system would be nice for my X.  Particularly I'd like it for my kid trailer - right now I attach the trailer hitch via a bolt through the rear tube on the free rad.  Problem is when I want to run wide loaders I have to take the trailer hitch off and therefore can no longer take the trailer.  I also thought a standard type (be-it small) ball type hitch could make cargo trailers and the like much easier to come by.  Don't know, just thinking out loud - anyone here tried it?

          <*> Your email settings:
             Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
             (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:

             http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          --
          Family FUN!.....with a twist!

          Papa Balloon
        • watrout
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 2, 2009
            Mark,
            Do you have any pictures of your setup?
          • Phil Good-Elliott
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 2, 2009
              Chariot Carriers brand trailers use a cup and ball hitch system. It uses a QR skewer to hold the cup in place on the back axle. Here's a sample of an extra "EZ Hitch" for their carriers:

              http://www.rei.com/product/710349

              We use this all the time on our X and on another bike. You can use one Wide Loader (Rt side) this way.

              I suppose you could mount a QR hub to the rear bridge of the X then use this system, but I'd want to make sure that hub was practically welded in place to avoid losing any cargo - especially any child in a trailer!

              -Phil

              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 2, 2009
                --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Phil Good-Elliott" <b4kids@...> wrote:

                > Chariot Carriers brand trailers use a cup and ball hitch system. It uses a QR skewer to hold the cup in place on the back axle. Here's a sample of an extra "EZ Hitch" for their carriers:
                >
                > http://www.rei.com/product/710349
                >
                > We use this all the time on our X and on another bike. You can use one Wide Loader (Rt side) this way.
                >
                > I suppose you could mount a QR hub to the rear bridge of the X then use this system, but I'd want to make sure that hub was practically welded in place to avoid losing any cargo - especially any child in a trailer!
                >
                > -Phil
                >
                > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "watrout" <watrout@> wrote:
                > >
                > > I'm thinking a ball hitch type system would be nice for my X. Particularly I'd like it for my kid trailer - right now I attach the trailer hitch via a bolt through the rear tube on the free rad. Problem is when I want to run wide loaders I have to take the trailer hitch off and therefore can no longer take the trailer. I also thought a standard type (be-it small) ball type hitch could make cargo trailers and the like much easier to come by. Don't know, just thinking out loud - anyone here tried it?

                Phil,
                I have a Chariot trailer right now. I've never liked mounting it to the axle because of the interference with the bags/cargo etc and the limited turning radius. That's why I mounted the Chariot hitch to the back tube via threaded rod. Works great for the trailer, but as I said, not feasible when I want to use wide loaders & the trailer. I've also been thinking about the ball hitch because I've been thinking about using one of those small garden trailers when I really need to haul stuff (they're dirt cheap compared to utility bike trailers). As of right now, if I want to haul lots of stuff I use the Chariot as a cargo trailer but don't love hauling lots of # with the bike kit (I'd rather have the weight spread over two arms rather than one). If I can get the ball hitch idea working I plan on using the jogger kit with some sort of fabricated plate to hold the two arms together.

                Mark,
                Thanks for the pictures of your setup, looks like you have a Chariot trailer too? What is the most weight you've pulled with that setup? It looks like you've got the whole hitch mounted with one U bolt - have you ever had problems with the whole assembly rotating on the X's tube? Lastly, what kind of trailer are you pulling with the ball hitch?
              • Mark Garvey
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 2, 2009
                  A couple of points about the "Chariot"  Actually, I have a Trek "Transit" trailer which uses the same ball setup.  It works pretty well but the hitch is really expensive!

                  Has it rotated...Yes, it has, but I put it back and snugged it down a bit and it seems fine now.

                  I have hauled my two grand daughters in the Transit with the ball hitch and I have hauled maybe 50-60 lbs in the little trailer that fits the ball joint hitch. Maybe more.  I actually never measured them.  the girls weigh maybe 75 lbs or so together I think.

                  The trailer that I have the hitch mounted to is a home made job that a friend gave me.  It is a very nice useful little thing, but I would not want to put too much weight in it.  a Cloth bottom and coroplast sides and top make it useable for most minor errands such as grocery shopping.

                  A note about securing the hitch.  I had it mounted along the "Chain stay extension" of the X at one time but it got too close to the tire with the fat 2 inch tires I prefer and I would get dragging. So I changed it around.  It wouldn't take a genius to design and build a better setup than that.  this was the product of a simple perusal of the "problem" and then a rummage through my spares pile.  So improvement is probably unsurprising!

                  MArk