Freeradical on a Tandem

  • Philip Prescott
    Message 1 of 8 , May 31, 2009
      I have a 700c tandem I'd like to put a freeradical on it. Has anyone else attemped this? It is possible? I'm thinking of using a 26" mtb wheel with disc brakes. Should I go with a 700c freerad and 26" wheel (possible?) or 700c freerad with the tandem wheel? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    • Fred K. Aron
      Message 2 of 8 , May 31, 2009
        There is a guy on the xtracycle gallery in the Electra section(guy has over 5 X's) and has one on a tandem
        http://www.xtracyclegallery.com/2008/10/19-derek-pearson-xtracycle-limo.html

        Message 3 of 8 , May 31, 2009
          If you are using disk brakes, it does not matter whether you get a 26"
          or 700c FreeRadical. The only difference between them is in the place
          of the studs for cantilevers.

          A slightly larger problem is that tandem rear wheels have a wide
          spacing, wider than than MTB standard. You need to be sure that the
          frame will flex enough to accommodate the FR, and either use a non-
          tandem wheel, or flex the FR wide enough to accept the tandem wheel.
          I have sprung steel frames, it's not too hard, but as a rule this is
          not the first thing you recommend that people do with their bikes.
          (And if your tandem is not made of steel, I get more worried).

          On 2009-05-31, at 8:56 PM, Philip Prescott wrote:
          > I have a 700c tandem I'd like to put a freeradical on it. Has anyone
          > else attemped this? It is possible? I'm thinking of using a 26" mtb
          > wheel with disc brakes. Should I go with a 700c freerad and 26"
          > wheel (possible?) or 700c freerad with the tandem wheel? Any advice
          > is greatly appreciated.

        • Philip Prescott
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 1, 2009
            The frame is steel. I'll check the spacing, I'm sure its wider than normal.

            Thanks for the reply.

            > If you are using disk brakes, it does not matter whether you get a 26"
            > or 700c FreeRadical. The only difference between them is in the place
            > of the studs for cantilevers.
            >
            > A slightly larger problem is that tandem rear wheels have a wide
            > spacing, wider than than MTB standard. You need to be sure that the
            > frame will flex enough to accommodate the FR, and either use a non-
            > tandem wheel, or flex the FR wide enough to accept the tandem wheel.
            > I have sprung steel frames, it's not too hard, but as a rule this is
            > not the first thing you recommend that people do with their bikes.
            > (And if your tandem is not made of steel, I get more worried).
            >

            > On 2009-05-31, at 8:56 PM, Philip Prescott wrote:
            > > I have a 700c tandem I'd like to put a freeradical on it. Has anyone
            > > else attemped this? It is possible? I'm thinking of using a 26" mtb
            > > wheel with disc brakes. Should I go with a 700c freerad and 26"
            > > wheel (possible?) or 700c freerad with the tandem wheel? Any advice
            > > is greatly appreciated.

          • jj
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 1, 2009
              Most tandems are 145mm, not 135, so you have 10mm difference.

              That *can* be cold-bent on a frame with relative success. I have done it. But I am not sure about the FR frame. Others will have to speak to that. I am sure it can be done, but am not sure how one would  keep the dropouts parallel.

              jj

              --- In rootsradicals@ yahoogroups. com, David Chase <dr2chase@.. .> wrote:

              > If you are using disk brakes, it does not matter whether you get a 26"
              > or 700c FreeRadical. The only difference between them is in the place
              > of the studs for cantilevers.
              >
              > A slightly larger problem is that tandem rear wheels have a wide
              > spacing, wider than than MTB standard. You need to be sure that the
              > frame will flex enough to accommodate the FR, and either use a non-
              > tandem wheel, or flex the FR wide enough to accept the tandem wheel.
              > I have sprung steel frames, it's not too hard, but as a rule this is
              > not the first thing you recommend that people do with their bikes.
              > (And if your tandem is not made of steel, I get more worried).
              >

              > On 2009-05-31, at 8:56 PM, Philip Prescott wrote:
              > > I have a 700c tandem I'd like to put a freeradical on it. Has anyone
              > > else attemped this? It is possible? I'm thinking of using a 26" mtb
              > > wheel with disc brakes. Should I go with a 700c freerad and 26"
              > > wheel (possible?) or 700c freerad with the tandem wheel? Any advice
              > > is greatly appreciated.

            • Pete B
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 1, 2009
                Here's one someone prepared earlier ;-)

                http://unixbigots.org/files/bike/kxtandem-2.jpg
                http://unixbigots.org/files/bike/kxtandem-1.jpg

                pics are from a discussion on making bamboo bikes (?!)
                http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/34709834/m/607009720931/r/480006988931

                Philip Prescott wrote:

                The frame is steel. I'll check the spacing, I'm sure its wider than normal.

                Thanks for the reply.

                > If you are using disk brakes, it does not matter whether you get a 26"
                > or 700c FreeRadical. The only difference between them is in the place
                > of the studs for cantilevers.
                >
                > A slightly larger problem is that tandem rear wheels have a wide
                > spacing, wider than than MTB standard. You need to be sure that the
                > frame will flex enough to accommodate the FR, and either use a non-
                > tandem wheel, or flex the FR wide enough to accept the tandem wheel.
                > I have sprung steel frames, it's not too hard, but as a rule this is
                > not the first thing you recommend that people do with their bikes.
                > (And if your tandem is not made of steel, I get more worried).
                >

                > On 2009-05-31, at 8:56 PM, Philip Prescott wrote:
                > > I have a 700c tandem I'd like to put a freeradical on it. Has anyone
                > > else attemped this? It is possible? I'm thinking of using a 26" mtb
                > > wheel with disc brakes. Should I go with a 700c freerad and 26"
                > > wheel (possible?) or 700c freerad with the tandem wheel? Any advice
                > > is greatly appreciated.

              • Dane Buson
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 1, 2009
                  On Jun 1, Pete B tripped the electrons lexically so:

                  > Here's one someone prepared earlier ;-)
                  >
                  > http://unixbigots.org/files/bike/kxtandem-2.jpg
                  > http://unixbigots.org/files/bike/kxtandem-1.jpg

                  I'm working on it, I have most of the parts, some work to go. Mostly a
                  matter of finding enough round 'tuits.

                  > pics are from a discussion on making bamboo bikes (?!)
                  > http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/34709834/m/607009720931/r/480006988931

                  It's a general bicycle thread on a tech board.

                  One advantage of the (crappy) frame I chose is that it's 135mm OLD.
                  I'll build up a 48 spoke rear wheel based on the Halo Spin Doctor hub
                  (135 mm OLD disc), which is similar to what I have on my normal X.

                  --
                  Dane Buson - Buson@...
                  Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife - chopping off what's
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 1, 2009
                    I have heard of this, but never seen it; the front and back wheels would practically be in different zip codes!