Re: [rootsradicals] carrying passengers

  • Fred K. Aron
    Message 1 of 12 , May 27, 2009
    • 1 Attachment
    • 597 KB
    I took a Camp seat and strapped it down to the snap deck...and it alows my daughter(who is about to turn 5) more security.  I posted it to the photo section.

    Message 2 of 12 , May 27, 2009
      Can anyone on the list gather the documentation regarding these passenger laws for various states?  Once collected I can post them to the XC website.

      Thanks, would do it myself, but I'm a wee bit swamped at the moment.

      Cheers,
      Rick

      On May 27, 2009, at 8:26 PM, Bruce Alan Wilson wrote:

      The WV Legislature' s website is down now, so I can't provide a citation.  (They're in Special Session, so I'm guessing that the site is down for updating.)  However, from memory I can summarize.

      The WV Code pretty much follows the Model Vehicle Code, that says that it is illegal to carry passengers on a bicycle not on a seat designed for one.  Which means that carrying someone on the handlebars, or cargo rack, or top tube, etc. is out.  However, the snapdeck, with or without the pad, particularly if you have stoker bars, is clearly designed for a passenter.

      WV requires a helmet for anyone under 16; it is optional for 16 and above, although IMHO a very good idea.  Brains do best inside the skull.

    • Anabel
      Message 3 of 12 , May 27, 2009
        Aah!  That's what I was looking for.  Thanks Rick!

        :)
        Anabel

        On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 10:17 PM, Rick Pickett <rick.pickett@...> wrote:

[...]

      • dianedouglas8
        Message 4 of 12 , May 28, 2009
          Here in DC, there are two provisions of DC Code that seem to apply to carrying passengers which can be found in Title 18 Chapter 12:

          1201.4 No person shall operate or ride a bicycle other than upon or astride a regular seat attached to the bicycle.

          1201.5 No person shall operate or ride on a bicycle with more persons on it at any one time than the bicycle is equipped to carry.

          In the case of my BD, I've got a magic carpet and stoker bars to go along with my frame-bump-out feet rests. When I'm carrying my kids (either one or both), my custom snapdeck replacement w/ double seat backs is clearly designed to carry two kids. Since I received my BD, I've ridden it almost every day to work. My commute takes me on a route which passes our nation's Capitol Building, the Supreme Court, and several other Capitol Hill Police checkpoints along the way. I have never been stopped or questioned by the Police with, or without the kids on the bike. I see a lot of cops in my neighborhood.

          If you need to see pictures of it, check out the Photos section here:

          I copied the design from others I have seen on the web.

          Scott

          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Anabel <anabel.neri@...> wrote:

          > Aah! That's what I was looking for. Thanks Rick!
          > :)
          > Anabel
          >
          > On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 10:17 PM, Rick Pickett <rick.pickett@...> wrote:
          >

          > > Can anyone on the list gather the documentation regarding these passenger
          > > laws for various states? Once collected I can post them to the XC website.
          > >
          > > Thanks, would do it myself, but I'm a wee bit swamped at the moment.
          > >
          > > Cheers,
          > > Rick
          > >
          > > PS: Here's the blog post Nate did on the subject:
          > > http://everydayadventurers.com/2008/12/passengering-serious-fun-serious-business/
          > >
          > > On May 27, 2009, at 8:26 PM, Bruce Alan Wilson wrote:
          > >

          > > The WV Legislature's website is down now, so I can't provide a citation.
          > > (They're in Special Session, so I'm guessing that the site is down for
          > > updating.) However, from memory I can summarize.
          > >
          > > The WV Code pretty much follows the Model Vehicle Code, that says that it
          > > is illegal to carry passengers on a bicycle not on a seat designed for one.
          > > Which means that carrying someone on the handlebars, or cargo rack, or top
          > > tube, etc. is out. However, the snapdeck, with or without the pad,
          > > particularly if you have stoker bars, is clearly designed for a passenter.
          > >
          > > WV requires a helmet for anyone under 16; it is optional for 16 and above,
          > > although IMHO a very good idea. Brains do best inside the skull.

        • jollywahlstrom
          Message 5 of 12 , May 28, 2009
            Whenever a law uses a version of the phrase, designed for passengers, the X is obviously designed to carry passengers. Just show them the Xtra website and they will see passengers being carried. The designers and manufacturers obviously designed it for this.
          • Bruce Alan Wilson
            Message 6 of 12 , May 28, 2009
              If you go to http://lp/findlaw.com, you will find links to the laws of every state.