Free Rad and step through frame

  • Shanyn Money
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 9, 2007
      Anyone riding a step through frame with a Free Rad? I bought a Breezer
      Uptown 8 last summer and am looking to attach a Free Rad to it- the
      disclaimer on the Xtracycle site about womens' specific bikes and the
      Xtracycle are giving me pause. I am sure that a diamond frame is
      stronger, but I love my step through and will not buy a different bike
      to have an Xtracycle...
    • Ryano
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 9, 2007
        The uptown is sold on the Xtra website, so you don't have anything to worry about there.  It is not a full step-through frame anyway - more like a mountain bike.

        http://www.xtracycle.com/breezer-uptown-p-90.html

        I think the disclaimer you mention is probably in reference more to bicycles like this -

        http://store.yahoo.co.jp/d-plus/mc263.html

        Actually the Japanese models are quite strong.  I have been temted to try out my Xtracycle freerad on an electric version - like one of these:

        http://www.panabyc.co.jp/products/electric/EPK.html
        http://www.panabyc.co.jp/products/electric/EPD.html

        My wife uses an electric bike like this (with a burley solo child trailer) and they really are pretty good.  I expect it would be good with the Xtracycle too. These bike frames are made for strength rather than light weight, so although the frame looks fairly weak with the big step through, they are actually pretty robust (it is the cheap import versions that can be a bit flimsy), and particularly with the electric assist you are likely to be putting less lateral stresses on the frame anyway.  I haven't bothered to try this experiment yet though, because I don't need electric assist myself, and my wife uses a child trailer with her electric bike, so she doesn't need the xtracycle at this stage.

        If anyone manages to try it out before I do, please let us know how it goes.

        rgrds

        On 10/02/07, Shanyn Money < sam86@...> wrote:

        Anyone riding a step through frame with a Free Rad? I bought a Breezer
        Uptown 8 last summer and am looking to attach a Free Rad to it- the
        disclaimer on the Xtracycle site about womens' specific bikes and the
        Xtracycle are giving me pause. I am sure that a diamond frame is
        stronger, but I love my step through and will not buy a different bike
        to have an Xtracycle...

      • richardofuller
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 10, 2007
          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Shanyn Money" <sam86@...> wrote:

          > Anyone riding a step through frame with a Free Rad? I bought a Breezer
          > Uptown 8 last summer and am looking to attach a Free Rad to it- the
          > disclaimer on the Xtracycle site about womens' specific bikes and the
          > Xtracycle are giving me pause. I am sure that a diamond frame is
          > stronger, but I love my step through and will not buy a different bike
          > to have an Xtracycle...

          I've had an xtracycle on a generic step-through frame since September. It's great.
          Biggest load was 4 40-lb boxes of kitty litter.
          Worked fine!
          In Minnesota, I need the step-through if only to dismount with all my winter clothing on.
          Zero Fahrenheit is OK bundled up but I don't swing my leg so high.
          Richard
        • thejonesgal
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 16, 2007
            Hi, I have a "girl bike"
            I've had no problems and I guess I never saw the disclaimer.
            Aaron at aaron@... put my bike together, so maybe he'll
            have a comment. You could ask him.
            Gerry Jones