Horns

  • Amos Patrick
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 8, 2007
      Hey, I am looking into getting a air horn setup for my xTra. Any
      suggetstions or comments?

      -Amos
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 8, 2007
        The AirZound (sp?) is impossibly loud, but eco friendly (bike-pump
        powered, through a Shrader valve). They seem to have fixed the one
        problem I had, which was that the clear plastic hose eventually was
        attacked by UV. But this horn is so loud, I am not sure I would
        recommend it -- I accidentally triggered it behind a jogger, and
        was mortified with embarrassment.

        Might be ok in a place where the ambient rudeness is already high,
        and much more convenient than blowing a conch shell.
        > Hey, I am looking into getting a air horn setup for my xTra. Any
        > suggetstions or comments?

      • Pete.B
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 8, 2007
          I can highly recommend the AirZound.
          http://www.deltacycle.com/product.php?g=1

          Car drivers DO take notice ;-)

          Rgds from Oz
          Pete.B
          ---- Amos Patrick <apatrick@...> wrote:
          > Hey, I am looking into getting a air horn setup for my xTra. Any
          > suggetstions or comments?
          >
          > -Amos

        • Tim Lupfer
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 9, 2007
            On 2/8/07, Amos Patrick <apatrick@...> wrote:
            > Hey, I am looking into getting a air horn setup for my xTra. Any
            > suggetstions or comments?

            if you have a 12 volt lighting system then I'd recommend a disc style
            car horn. I mounted mine in the rear triangle and have been amazed at
            its effectiveness in deterring motorists from trying to kill me.

            I've heard good things about air horns as well.
          • Liza Mattana
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 9, 2007
              if you want big sound with little/no effort, get a honka hoota. they rule. super loud and cheap. i think they're $4.

              liza

              On 2/9/07, Tim Lupfer <tim.lupfer@...> wrote:

              On 2/8/07, Amos Patrick <apatrick@...> wrote:
              > Hey, I am looking into getting a air horn setup for my xTra. Any
              > suggetstions or comments?

              if you have a 12 volt lighting system then I'd recommend a disc style
              car horn. I mounted mine in the rear triangle and have been amazed at
              its effectiveness in deterring motorists from trying to kill me.

              I've heard good things about air horns as well.

            • nicykathryn
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 11, 2007
                I agree, the AirZound is the way to go... but near the other thumb I
                have an IncrediBell, for communicating with nearby humans not encased
                in steel and glass. I couldn't live (well, bike-commute) without both.
                -- Nic

                --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Pete.B" <nackterman@...> wrote:

                > I can highly recommend the AirZound.
                > http://www.deltacycle.com/product.php?g=1

              • Merlin Matthews
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 11, 2007
                  I've used Airzound for some time

                  http://www.deltacycle.com/product.php?g=1

                  DAMN LOUD

                  Can adjust down

                  Pump up with bike pump

                  Sweet :)

                  Cheers all

                  Merlin
                • Ian Hopper
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 12, 2007
                    I too have the Air Zounds airhorn. I run Nitto albatross bars on my xbike, and I recently found a solution to the mounting problem on the albatross bars. It's made by minoura and it's called the Besso. They sell it as Nashbar here: http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=&subcategory=&brand=1184&sku=13291&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=Shop%20by%20Brand%3A%20Minoura

                    I mounted my Besso just in front of my right side brake lever clamp and put the Air Zounds on it and now I can hit the trigger with my thumb. Before I  had to take my hand off the grip, which sucks when you're trying to avoid an accident: now I can blast car drivers while taking evasive action! For the record, I have a bell on my left hand side for alerting peds and other bicyclists. The air zounds is LOUD (Approx 115 db) when it's turned up all the way. It IS adjustable, but not on the fly. It's real use is when it's at full force, so that's where I leave mine. The Air Zounds isn't as cheap as a little bulb horn, but you won't hear those horns through a car window with the stereo up. Mine has saved my life more than once, and it's also let a few rude motorists know what inconsiderate jerks I found them to be. ;)