Re: [rootsradicals] Using a piccolo?

  • Cara Lin Bridgman
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 6, 2007
      With lightly loaded freeloaders (camera bag, brief case), I had the snap
      deck pop off under similar conditions: fast downhill on bumpy sidewalk
      with 'mini driveway ramps.'

      So, I wouldn't rely on a snap deck either.

      CL

      Devian Gilbert wrote:
      > I'd be careful with the snapdeck
      > I've had a load in the bags that was heavy enough to make things flex
      > and the snap deck actually popped loose.
      > that was just from the weight in the bags making the slide in frame
      > parts sway independently of each other
      > in turn the deck popped loose.
      > but i was going pretty fast
      > and it happened as i merged from the street onto the bike path
      > crossing one of those "mini driveway ramps" on a corner, entering the
      > bike path.
      >
      > my point is that the snapdeck may not be secure enough to keep a piccolo
      > attached
      > the deck may just UNSNAP
      > child et al would be unsecured.
      > in my opinion it sounds dangerous
      > unless you make the snap deck not a "snap" deck
      > and clamp it to the freeloaders.
      >
      > i'd opt to focus on the actual frame of the freeradical to attach
      > anything to as compared to the freeloaders.

    • Kipchoge Spencer
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 7, 2007
        hey JP!

        good to see you out in the ether.

        no less august a figure than your dear brother has successfully connected a piccolo to his long ride .

        And indeed there are more posts on the topic in the kids and families section of the forums.

        As for attaching things to the SnapDeck, you do certainly need to bypass the Snap feature. The premier method of doing so is to use a high quality metal-buckle cam strap that wraps under the V-racks and around the deck, preferably placed just in front of either the forward or rear Snap Pieces. This locks the V-racks to the snap pieces in compression while also holding the board down and providing a safety loop around the board (and potentially anything that's attached to it).

        Another way would be to make holes in the deck and pass straps through and around each rack separately, as this beautiful double child seat engineer has done with zip ties . This method also effecitively locks the snap pieces in place. I personally prefer the cam stap method. A fully cinched cam strap prevents any migration rearward since the deck is wider at the front. If the strap is just in front of the snap pieces, the deck can move forward either.

        As noted, you can prevent a bare deck from flying off by strapping one FreeLoader buckle to its mate on the opposite  FreeLoader and cinching. I WOULD NEVER DEPEND ON THIS METHOD TO SECURE ANYTHING RELATING TO LIVE CARGO, CHILDREN, TAG-A-LONGS ETC.

        Now, as for mounting something to the deck, you'd want a pretty big footprint, probably about 6" square with several through-bolts with big washers (not screws), so you could spread out the force.

        --
        Kipchoge Spencer

        29085 Highway 49
        North San Juan CA 95960
        530/292-1401
        www.xtracycle.com
        www.myspace.com/gingermyninja

        Check out our new video for the VP: http://youtube.com/watch?v=zbFzY1OooCw
      • Ian Hopper
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 8, 2007
          This might be one of the better items for a Roots Radicals Wiki Style FAQ: parepidemos aka Nic nicely put his photos up: his solution included help from his local bike shop, see here: http://xtracycle.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=470&highlight=#470

          This is the best looking non-commercial solution I've seen so far but as they say YMMV. The piccolo is not being made anymore (Burley almost went under), so they are somewhat of a previous commoddity now.. if anyone within the community has one that they're not using anymore, I think it might be a cool thing to pass it on to other members of the Roots Radicals... lending or "Pay it forward" type thing... Just found one in Berkeley on craigslist.. they want 220 for it, but we'll see.

          Since Burley went out of business, no one has stepped up to the plate with anything as BURLEY as the Piccolo. The seatpost mounted trail a bikes just sketch me out in general, and you can't run them well on a X-bike... unless someone's got something tricky that they haven't shared.