Re: [rootsradicals] Using a piccolo?

  • Devian Gilbert
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 6, 2007
      ray:

      gotcha.  it was a one time occurrence and since then i just go to using the wide loaders.

      none the less...
      thinking of a kid dependent on the snapdeck staying secure...
      well...
      you know what im thinking.

      peace...d

      On Feb 6, 2007, at 5:51 PM, Cathode Ray wrote:

      At 3:15 PM -0800 6/2/07, Devian Gilbert wrote:
      >I've had a load in the bags that was heavy enough to make things flex
      >and the snap deck actually popped loose.

      Two possible solutions:

      Push the snapdeck further back; this makes it fit tighter

      Take the freeloader straps over the deck. This pulls the V racks
      together. The buckles are female on one side and male on the other.
      You can also this feature to strap things to the deck. Sometimes I
      connect front left top back right and vice cersa, so straps are
      crossed over the deck.

      ray

      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 6, 2007

        JP,

                    I would NEVER think of securing a child on an extension attached to just the snap deck! What happened to Devian involving the snap-deck is not a unique occurrence. I have had my snap deck pop off a number of times in the past.

                    Once it popped off when I sped off a sidewalk into flowing traffic. As the bike landed evenly upon both wheels on the street pavement the bounce caused the snap deck to pop off and it actually fell in between the freeloader frames. I have five-spoked Aerospoke mag wheels, so the snap deck ended up getting jammed in between the spokes and made me come to a skidding stop. That was only after I heard SOMETHING snap and rattle to my rear and felt a sudden unwanted reduction of speed. It was pretty freaky.

                    After that I actually had to add extra washers to the little black plastic hooks on the snap-deck because at least one of the hooks must have gotten so banged up during the pop-off it caused some of the wood on the snap-deck to split and crack. Along with the extra washers I also have a bunch of duct-tape wrapping the rear end of my snap-deck these days. Since then I have also being using two extra adjustable buckle nylon-web straps to secure the snap-deck on the freeloader mounting bars.

                    With all that reinforcement though, I would still never think of securing a children’s extension of any kind to just the snap deck. To me that just seems like too much rigid tension and pressure to put upon a very concentrated area of a wooden board less than half an inch thick, particularly one which is probably exposed to lots of variations in temperature and moisture, etc. Obviously the snap-deck can carry the weight of an adult, but remember their butt covers a wider area, their butt is naturally a slight shock-absorber, their legs and feet are supported by footsies or maybe the side racks, and the legs of a person sitting on a snap-deck inherently squeeze together the freeloader tubing, thus reducing chances of a snap-deck pop.

        _TONE_

      • Cara Lin Bridgman
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 6, 2007
          With lightly loaded freeloaders (camera bag, brief case), I had the snap
          deck pop off under similar conditions: fast downhill on bumpy sidewalk
          with 'mini driveway ramps.'

          So, I wouldn't rely on a snap deck either.

          CL

          Devian Gilbert wrote:
          > I'd be careful with the snapdeck
          > I've had a load in the bags that was heavy enough to make things flex
          > and the snap deck actually popped loose.
          > that was just from the weight in the bags making the slide in frame
          > parts sway independently of each other
          > in turn the deck popped loose.
          > but i was going pretty fast
          > and it happened as i merged from the street onto the bike path
          > crossing one of those "mini driveway ramps" on a corner, entering the
          > bike path.
          >
          > my point is that the snapdeck may not be secure enough to keep a piccolo
          > attached
          > the deck may just UNSNAP
          > child et al would be unsecured.
          > in my opinion it sounds dangerous
          > unless you make the snap deck not a "snap" deck
          > and clamp it to the freeloaders.
          >
          > i'd opt to focus on the actual frame of the freeradical to attach
          > anything to as compared to the freeloaders.

        • Kipchoge Spencer
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 7, 2007
            hey JP!

            good to see you out in the ether.

            no less august a figure than your dear brother has successfully connected a piccolo to his long ride .

            And indeed there are more posts on the topic in the kids and families section of the forums.

            As for attaching things to the SnapDeck, you do certainly need to bypass the Snap feature. The premier method of doing so is to use a high quality metal-buckle cam strap that wraps under the V-racks and around the deck, preferably placed just in front of either the forward or rear Snap Pieces. This locks the V-racks to the snap pieces in compression while also holding the board down and providing a safety loop around the board (and potentially anything that's attached to it).

            Another way would be to make holes in the deck and pass straps through and around each rack separately, as this beautiful double child seat engineer has done with zip ties . This method also effecitively locks the snap pieces in place. I personally prefer the cam stap method. A fully cinched cam strap prevents any migration rearward since the deck is wider at the front. If the strap is just in front of the snap pieces, the deck can move forward either.

            As noted, you can prevent a bare deck from flying off by strapping one FreeLoader buckle to its mate on the opposite  FreeLoader and cinching. I WOULD NEVER DEPEND ON THIS METHOD TO SECURE ANYTHING RELATING TO LIVE CARGO, CHILDREN, TAG-A-LONGS ETC.

            Now, as for mounting something to the deck, you'd want a pretty big footprint, probably about 6" square with several through-bolts with big washers (not screws), so you could spread out the force.

            --
            Kipchoge Spencer

            29085 Highway 49
            North San Juan CA 95960
            530/292-1401
            www.xtracycle.com
            www.myspace.com/gingermyninja

            Check out our new video for the VP: http://youtube.com/watch?v=zbFzY1OooCw
          • Ian Hopper
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 8, 2007
              This might be one of the better items for a Roots Radicals Wiki Style FAQ: parepidemos aka Nic nicely put his photos up: his solution included help from his local bike shop, see here: http://xtracycle.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=470&highlight=#470

              This is the best looking non-commercial solution I've seen so far but as they say YMMV. The piccolo is not being made anymore (Burley almost went under), so they are somewhat of a previous commoddity now.. if anyone within the community has one that they're not using anymore, I think it might be a cool thing to pass it on to other members of the Roots Radicals... lending or "Pay it forward" type thing... Just found one in Berkeley on craigslist.. they want 220 for it, but we'll see.

              Since Burley went out of business, no one has stepped up to the plate with anything as BURLEY as the Piccolo. The seatpost mounted trail a bikes just sketch me out in general, and you can't run them well on a X-bike... unless someone's got something tricky that they haven't shared.