Oh god ... not another nubie

  • Geof Gee
    Message 1 of 2 , May 5 12:59 PM
      Yep ... that would be me.

      I searched through the forum for a few answers and tips. But I reached the point that simply asking and getting some feedback would be helpful.

      Who am I?

      For the past few years, I have talked with a bud in Baltimore -- Barry if anyone knows him -- regarding his Free Radical. I have a little boy and it seems that towing him in a trailer is somewhat limiting in some important ways. Most notably riding with him in denser traffic or in tight quarters where the extra trailer width is a hinderance. However, other than pulling Henry, it is pretty rare that I run into a situation where two panniers isn't a satisfactory solution to what I need. Of course, I don't have any solutions other than two panniers so I might be limiting my choices. I imagine that my main uses for the Xtracycle would be as a commuter, child hauler, and to pick up people at the local Metro station.

      Free Radical mate?

      So one issue that like most people, I don't have an unlimited budget. Consequently, I would like to mate my present cyclocross commuter (2005 Jamis Nova) to the free radical. I'm also a fat tire fan and a destroyer of rear wheels so a 26" rear wheel is a strong preference.

      (1) The BB height according to specs is a relatively high 284 mm. Using Sheldon Brown's page for cyclocomputers ... http://www.sheldonbrown.com/cyclecomputer-calibration.html ... which contains radius estimates, a front 700x38 tire (r=347 mm) mated with a 26x2" tire (r=330 mm) in the rear would create a ~1 degree tilt with the present wheelbase of 1032 mm which would make the headtube angle a little steeper than 71 degrees. It isn't clear to me how much longer the free radical would make the bike, but it would reduce the problem of changing the geometry further. The BB would still be higher than a lot of road bikes.

      (2) Building that rear wheel also poses an issue. I'd like to make the wheel as bulletproof as possible with the Tiagra 36H hub. Now if I simply put a 5 mm spacer on the nondrive side, based on ... http://velospec.com/components/shimano/fh4400 ... I reduce the dish from 21.3/38.7 mm to 23.8/36.2 mm. I was thinking that I could do a little better by taking off the nine-speed freehub body and replacing it with a 7 speed and consequently getting another 4 mm of play to get something like 27.8/32.2 mm offset. It isn't clear to me whether I would need another axle, but has anyone here thought about the question and or tried it?

      Thanks for reading and please feel free to opine.

      -Geof
    • Geof Gee
      Message 2 of 2 , May 5 1:18 PM
        Just noticed ... it adds ~ 15 inches or 381 mm to the wheelbase.

        http://www.xtracycle.com/home/hitchless-trailer/technical-specifications/

        Whoops! I thought that I was thorough. Sorry ... should have tried google on the Xtracycle homepage earlier.

        Consequently, the change in angle is estimated to be ~ 0.7 degrees and the BB will be ~ 7 mm lower.