Re: [rootsradicals] Re: Accessories?

    Message 1 of 15 , May 5, 2009
      Carolyn,

      I have never had any issues with my Planet Bike Light popping off due to a
      bump in the road. I think it is the best strobe bike light I have ever
      used.

      One major factor, which might account for me never loosing my Planet Bike
      Light, is I mount it sideways on my Big Dummy's stoker bar. I could
      imagine the Planet Bike Light popping off when using only its belt clip
      though. However, I am not using the belt clip, but rather the hardware
      mount the light came with. That still enables me to disconnect the light
      off the hardware mount very easily if I am ever carrying a passenger. That
      would be the only situation I would really need to use the belt clip on
      the light because otherwise the passenger would have a red light flashing
      directly in front of them as well as be blocking the light from being seen
      by drivers.

      The rest of the time I really can not imagine any bumps in the road
      causing the light to come off. Obviously a road bump would cause the bike
      to bounce vertically, and with my Planet Bike Light mounted sideways the
      forces involved with a pothole, etc. would not have an effect on the light
      mount. The only time I figure the light could experience enough horizontal
      g-forces alone to POSSIBLY cause the light to disconnect from its hardware
      mount would be some kind of side-impact or fall-over crash, but I would
      say there are probably other concerns to worry about in those
      circumstances.

      I have had my bike fall over a few times (usually due to overloading one
      side, or letting my grip slip when walking the bike around, etc.), and my
      Planet Bike Light has never un-clipped from the hardware mount. The worst
      thing that ever happened was the impact caused the light mount to slightly
      rotate left or right from it's tightened "tilt" mount. Nothing ever broke
      or fell off. I just "tilted" the light back to its original position.

      Ride safe,