Re: [rootsradicals] Possibly FS, any interest: 700C Free Radical frame

  • Elizabeth Whiting
    Message 1 of 15 , May 5, 2009
      I would be totally interested since I'm having a hard time finding a 26 frame that I like.

      Elizabeth

      From: Doug Van Cleve
      Date: Mon, 4 May 2009 09:51:49 -0700 (PDT)
      To: <rootsradicals@ yahoogroups. com>

      Howdy folks.

      I am thinking about getting a Big Dummy.  If I do, my 700C Xtracycle frame would be available.  It is fairly well used, but nothing is wrong with it and I'm pretty sure it will clean up well.  I was thinking maybe somebody who already has the full set up might want a second frame, for a different bike maybe.  Anyway, if I do this I would sell the frame for $100 plus shipping which shouldn't be too bad if I can cut down a box and avoid the oversize charges.

      Thanks, Doug

    • Fred K. Aron
      Message 2 of 15 , May 5, 2009
        I do not work for rei, but I felt it might help folks to know they are having a pretty significant sale on alot of bike stuff...picked up Keen Commuter sandals and shimano a530 pedals for $30 and $25 off...the sale ends on May 10th.

        http://www.rei.com/promotions/anniversarysale/cycling

        Sorry if some of you feel like its advertising for them, just trying to help.

      • Travers, Neil
        Message 3 of 15 , May 5, 2009
          Message
          That seems to be in the wrong font.  I can't remember all my greek letters, but the first bit is definitely "I would be totally" and ends with "I like"
          I would be totally interested since I'm having a hard time finding a 26 frame that I like.

          Elizabeth

        • Dave Lloyd
          Message 4 of 15 , May 5, 2009
            The Keen Commuter sandals are great if you're in to SPD compatible shoes (I've begun switching back to flat pedals everywhere).  Great for riding and very comfy to walk in.  The only downside I've noticed is that if you slide the cleat all the way to the back like I do, then its pretty close to the rubber sole, so you may lose a bit of float. On some flat pedals (notably Grip Kings), the cleat slides on top of the pedal, but that may be all SPD shoes.

            --dlloyd

          • kest918@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 15 , May 5, 2009
              Yea I think I saw a 26 in there.

              From: "Travers, Neil"
              Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 05:30:38 -0700
              To: <rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com>

              Message 6 of 15 , May 5, 2009
                I would be totally interested since I'm having a hard time finding a 26 frame that I like.

                Elizabeth

                Sorry changed font on accident

                That seems to be in the wrong font.  I can't remember all my greek letters, but the first bit is definitely "I would be totally" and ends with "I like"
                I would be totally interested since I'm having a hard time finding a 26 frame that I like.

                Elizabeth

              • Rick Pickett
                Message 7 of 15 , May 5, 2009
                  re: Keen Commuter Sandals
                  They're also heavy and make my feet feel like dead weights are attached to them.  Still lacking IMO.

                  On May 5, 2009, at 5:34 AM, Dave Lloyd wrote:

                  The Keen Commuter sandals are great if you're in to SPD compatible shoes (I've begun switching back to flat pedals everywhere).  Great for riding and very comfy to walk in.  The only downside I've noticed is that if you slide the cleat all the way to the back like I do, then its pretty close to the rubber sole, so you may lose a bit of float. On some flat pedals (notably Grip Kings), the cleat slides on top of the pedal, but that may be all SPD shoes.

                  --dlloyd

                • jj
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 5, 2009
                    They aren't for clipless, but try Crocs.

                    The ventless are GREAT for wet riding, especially with thick wool socks.

                    Otherwise, I wear Wescos. Not light, but they last for 10+ years a pop.

                    jj

                    Rick Pickett wrote:
                    re: Keen Commuter Sandals
                    They're also heavy and make my feet feel like dead weights are attached to them.  Still lacking IMO.

                    On May 5, 2009, at 5:34 AM, Dave Lloyd wrote:

                    The Keen Commuter sandals are great if you're in to SPD compatible shoes (I've begun switching back to flat pedals everywhere).  Great for riding and very comfy to walk in.  The only downside I've noticed is that if you slide the cleat all the way to the back like I do, then its pretty close to the rubber sole, so you may lose a bit of float. On some flat pedals (notably Grip Kings), the cleat slides on top of the pedal, but that may be all SPD shoes.

                    --dlloyd

                  • Drew
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 5, 2009
                      Thanks for the heads up.
                      I want a set of those Keens. Not sure they will work with Time mountain cleat.
                      Do the soles flex or are they stiff?
                      Drew

                      I'm cycling from SF to LA May 31st-June 6th, to fight HIV/AIDS.
                      Help me get there! check out http://www.teammidnightridazz.com/drew

                      --- On Tue, 5/5/09, Fred K. Aron <inluvwithsara@...> wrote:

                      I do not work for rei, but I felt it might help folks to know they are having a pretty significant sale on alot of bike stuff...picked up Keen Commuter sandals and shimano a530 pedals for $30 and $25 off...the sale ends on May 10th.
                      http://www.rei. com/promotions/ anniversarysale/ cycling

                      Sorry if some of you feel like its advertising for them, just trying to help.

                    • dianedouglas8
                      Message 10 of 15 , May 5, 2009
                        The problem with Crocs, (yes, even the thicker-soled Rx versions) is that the sole is way too flexible. You would need to be riding with monster-width pedals to avoid the foot flex you have riding in Crocs. BTW, I'm not a Crocs hater. I'm on my third pair, but use them exclusively for lounging around the house.

                        Scott

                        Message 11 of 15 , May 5, 2009
                          When I was a kid, I just rode barefoot.
                          Shoes just make my feet stink.

                          On 2009-05-05, at 1:29 PM, dianedouglas8 wrote:
                          > The problem with Crocs, (yes, even the thicker-soled Rx versions) is
                          > that the sole is way too flexible. You would need to be riding with
                          > monster-width pedals to avoid the foot flex you have riding in
                          > Crocs. BTW, I'm not a Crocs hater. I'm on my third pair, but use
                          > them exclusively for lounging around the house.
                          >
                          > Scott

                        • jj
                          Message 12 of 15 , May 5, 2009
                            erm...foot flex?

                            I found that crocs were AWESOME for riding in. I have stiff shoes: they are Wesco John Henry's and Wesco Packers. I wear crocs when i am looking for comfort, or out for a quick ride to the doctor 3 miles away.

                            Then again, I have very wide pedals. Boots aren't comfortable for biking without wide pedals, and I ordered mine special -- I think they cost 20$ or so, and are rebuildable.

                            JJ

                            dianedouglas8 wrote:

                            The problem with Crocs, (yes, even the thicker-soled Rx versions) is that the sole is way too flexible. You would need to be riding with monster-width pedals to avoid the foot flex you have riding in Crocs. BTW, I'm not a Crocs hater. I'm on my third pair, but use them exclusively for lounging around the house.

                            Scott

                            --- In rootsradicals@ yahoogroups. com, jj <jj@...> wrote:

                            > They aren't for clipless, but try Crocs.
                            >
                            > The ventless are GREAT for wet riding, especially with thick wool socks.
                            >
                            > Otherwise, I wear Wescos. Not light, but they last for 10+ years a pop.
                            >
                            > jj
                            >
                            > Rick Pickett wrote:
                            > >

                            > > re: Keen Commuter Sandals
                            > > They're also heavy and make my feet feel like dead weights are
                            > > attached to them. Still lacking IMO.
                            > >

                            > > On May 5, 2009, at 5:34 AM, Dave Lloyd wrote:
                            > >

                            > >> The Keen Commuter sandals are great if you're in to SPD compatible
                            > >> shoes (I've begun switching back to flat pedals everywhere). Great
                            > >> for riding and very comfy to walk in. The only downside I've noticed
                            > >> is that if you slide the cleat all the way to the back like I do,
                            > >> then its pretty close to the rubber sole, so you may lose a bit of
                            > >> float. On some flat pedals (notably Grip Kings), the cleat slides on
                            > >> top of the pedal, but that may be all SPD shoes.
                            > >>
                            > >> --dlloyd

                          • thecollinscenter
                            Message 13 of 15 , May 6, 2009
                              Doug,

                              I apologize if you already received this...have you sold the xtracycle yet? I'm very interested in a used 700c frame. Would the freeloader stuff be included? Let me know if it's available, b/c I'm very interested! Email me at trent@....

                              Thanks,

                              Trent