Re: Accessories?

  • beth hamon
    Message 1 of 15 , May 2, 2009
      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "dianedouglas8" <diane.douglas8@...> wrote:
      >...I realized that I'd need a decent set of fenders on my new rig to keep everything dry and relatively clean.
      >
      > What's everyone's favorite?

      I'm quite happy with the basic Freddy "Hardcore" model, which I transferred over from an existing city bike. They're wide enough to allow me to run fatter Schwalbe Marathons, or even the fatter Fat Franks if I ever want to "upgrade".

      Took the X out the other day, rode it all over town and had only one truly wobbly moment.
      Still, I decided to swap in a lager gear cluster at work and going up the hill towards home was certainly MUCH easier.
      Beth
    • Connie Gordon
      Message 2 of 15 , May 2, 2009
        On the subject of fenders, what's good for a bike with 26" in back and 700 in front?  Do I have to get two different sets?

        Connie

        On Sat, May 2, 2009 at 8:52 AM, beth hamon <periwinklekog@...> wrote:

        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "dianedouglas8" <diane.douglas8@...> wrote:
        >...I realized that I'd need a decent set of fenders on my new rig to keep everything dry and relatively clean.

        > What's everyone's favorite?

        I'm quite happy with the basic Freddy "Hardcore" model, which I transferred over from an existing city bike. They're wide enough to allow me to run fatter Schwalbe Marathons, or even the fatter Fat Franks if I ever want to "upgrade".

        Took the X out the other day, rode it all over town and had only one truly wobbly moment.
        Still, I decided to swap in a lager gear cluster at work and going up the hill towards home was certainly MUCH easier.
        Beth

      • jj
        Message 3 of 15 , May 2, 2009
          Try hitting up your LBS for used stock.

          Around here we have 4 shops in riding distance that hang on to old fenders, and you can most likely find a pair. You might have to buy new mounting hardware, but that should still put you in under the price of a single pair of new, much less than the price of a double set.

          Also: keep in mind that the rear fender isn't seen, at least not that much. It can be ugly as sin as long as it does the job. Indeed, i had to customize part of mine to get it just *so*, removing rivets and such, and I just taped over the holes, both sides, with regular shipping tape. it just has to deflect water.

          Let that crafty flag fly!

          JJ

          JJ

          Message 4 of 15 , May 2, 2009
            On 2009-05-02, at 10:52 AM, beth hamon wrote:
            > Took the X out the other day, rode it all over town and had only one
            > truly wobbly moment.

            I am still baffled by your wobbles. I went and looked at your Flickr
            stuff (Google suggests I search for "Periwinkle Kong", I think you
            should consider it :-), and I'm baffled. You look normal, the bike
            looks normal, why would it wobble so badly for you? Or are mountain-
            bike (-derived) frames that much stiffer?

            David
          • bluemeun
            Message 5 of 15 , May 2, 2009
              Some of my favorite accessories are Knog lights because they don't fall off when you hit the potholes. Three planet bike lights have been lost to the potholes here in Milwaukee, zero knog lights for me.

              Here's their site: http://www.knog.com.au/

              Most bike shops are starting to get them in. I use two 3 LED ones and wrap them around the free radical.

              Here's a link to the light: http://tinyurl.com/dxwylk

              ~Carolyn

              Message 6 of 15 , May 5, 2009
                Carolyn,

                I have never had any issues with my Planet Bike Light popping off due to a
                bump in the road. I think it is the best strobe bike light I have ever
                used.

                One major factor, which might account for me never loosing my Planet Bike
                Light, is I mount it sideways on my Big Dummy's stoker bar. I could
                imagine the Planet Bike Light popping off when using only its belt clip
                though. However, I am not using the belt clip, but rather the hardware
                mount the light came with. That still enables me to disconnect the light
                off the hardware mount very easily if I am ever carrying a passenger. That
                would be the only situation I would really need to use the belt clip on
                the light because otherwise the passenger would have a red light flashing
                directly in front of them as well as be blocking the light from being seen
                by drivers.

                The rest of the time I really can not imagine any bumps in the road
                causing the light to come off. Obviously a road bump would cause the bike
                to bounce vertically, and with my Planet Bike Light mounted sideways the
                forces involved with a pothole, etc. would not have an effect on the light
                mount. The only time I figure the light could experience enough horizontal
                g-forces alone to POSSIBLY cause the light to disconnect from its hardware
                mount would be some kind of side-impact or fall-over crash, but I would
                say there are probably other concerns to worry about in those
                circumstances.

                I have had my bike fall over a few times (usually due to overloading one
                side, or letting my grip slip when walking the bike around, etc.), and my
                Planet Bike Light has never un-clipped from the hardware mount. The worst
                thing that ever happened was the impact caused the light mount to slightly
                rotate left or right from it's tightened "tilt" mount. Nothing ever broke
                or fell off. I just "tilted" the light back to its original position.

                Ride safe,